I want to learn how to sew!

thumpersfriend

DIS Veteran
I love to quilt and do pretty well but I really want to learn how to make clothes for my 3yo dgd. Is there a good book to start with, a dvd or a class that could help me? Also, would I need a serger? Any help is appreciated. I got inspired by all of you making halloweeen costumes, sounds like such fun. Thanks.

Hi, well, I learned to sew since middle school, yes I went to the nun school and learned how to cook and sew and all the neat things, thank god I did.

OK to make clothes, you can buy patterns from Wal Mart, hobby lobby etc and just follow the instructions on the pattern, I learned to cut on a mat and made my on patterns ( the old fashion way ) but with the patterns already made is much easier.

I got a magazine called "Sewing for begginers" or something like that at wal mart, and the magazine has the basics.

Check these websites.

http://www.sewing.org/

http://learnhowtosew.com/

http://www.youcanmakeit.com/

The best place to start is with simple. Stick with the patterns that are marked "easy" or "2 hours" ...... usually Simplicity works well. The pattern directions themselves usually have simple definitions of the terminology that is needed to complete the garment, but like the other poster mentioned, getting a beginners book is a great place to start. I would absolutely not recommend a serger until you have been sewing for quite some time, as sergers don't allow for error (they cut and sew at the same time) and cutting off a seam allowance means that it is harder for a beginner to fix. The absolute best single piece of advice that I can give you on making a garment that does not look "home-made" ........ Press everything! You should always spend more time pinning and pressing than actually sewing. If you're doing that, you're on the right track! It sounds like you are really motivated, so I'm sure you'll be successful. Have fun!

Thanks, these look like good websites. I tried to learn to sew in home ec in 8th grade and my teacher gave up on me, I was really not into it then. Now, I guess I am in the more creative phase of my life. Thanks for your help.

Also the magazine, Threads, has a web site. It has had lessons online the last 2 months. Or you can just buy patterns. If you can quilt, you can sew! As everyone said, take it easy, use a simple pattern at first. And have fun!

thumpersfriend said:
I tried to learn to sew in home ec in 8th grade and my teacher gave up on me, I was really not into it then. Now, I guess I am in the more creative phase of my life. Thanks for your help.

I took sewing in 4-H and school. I was not the best sewer, but I passed. The last class I took in high school was when I decided to make black panties for our free project. The teacher was not amused.

Another idea: sewing machine stores often offer classes. I took a refresher course when pregnant with DD.

Good Luck! :wave:

Thanks everyone. I just measured my little granddaughter today and am so excited to try. Thanks for the reassurances. The only thing I can be out is a few yards of material, right? I am more of a book type person. I get nervous with a class when everyone is doing so much better than me. Seems to me I have to make a few mistakes to figure things out. Wish me luck.

Start with a sewing machine, and if you like it....DEFINITELY get a serger!!! They not only make your items look professional, the make them last longer, and save time while you are sewing.

I cannot imagine not having my serger!!!

:wave:

Beca

I have a Kenmore, as does my friend and she can barely sew. I would visit several stores: strictly sewing stores, and places like Joann's and Sears. Compare the prices and service. Don't get pressured.

My mom got DD (age 7) a machine at Wal-mart for Xmas. It cost $50. It is a good machine for a real beginner.

HTH

BuzzBelleMom said:
I have a Kenmore, as does my friend and she can barely sew. I would visit several stores: strictly sewing stores, and places like Joann's and Sears. Compare the prices and service. Don't get pressured.

My mom got DD (age 7) a machine at Wal-mart for Xmas. It cost $50. It is a good machine for a real beginner.

HTH
Thank You.

THESCHULTZFIVE said:
Can anyone suggest a good basic sewing machine for beginners?

If you have a Joann's in your area, I would definitely suggest considering purchasing one from the Viking/Husqvarna store, as any purchase from there comes with free sewing classes. These stores also take "trade-ins", so you might be able to get a really good "gently used" machine for a really good price.

If that doesn't work for you, I would suggest picking up one from Walmart. They carry Brother...which is a REALLY good "entry model" of sewing. My first sewing machine was a brother. It was very easy to use. I purchased it in 1989, and my mom still sews on it today. It was the "top of the line" Brother at the time, and only cost about $150. I'm sure basic models are still less than that.

Beca

Beca said:
If you have a Joann's in your area, I would definitely suggest considering purchasing one from the Viking/Husqvarna store, as any purchase from there comes with free sewing classes. These stores also take "trade-ins", so you might be able to get a really good "gently used" machine for a really good price.

If that doesn't work for you, I would suggest picking up one from Walmart. They carry Brother...which is a REALLY good "entry model" of sewing. My first sewing machine was a brother. It was very easy to use. I purchased it in 1989, and my mom still sews on it today. It was the "top of the line" Brother at the time, and only cost about $150. I'm sure basic models are still less than that.

Beca
Thank You

If you have a machine that you do quilting/peiceing with then you might want to use that till you know that you want to do other sewing. I only say that because if you get a machine now and love "regular" sewing then what ever you buy now you will out grow. However, if you don't like "regular" sewing then what ever you do get now will be a waste of money.
And in the past, when I have taught someone to sew, I have let them use my Viking/Husvarna Designer 1. It is the next to the top model. But it cost more then my first car.... When the person I teach goes to get a machine they never end up getting a basic model, since they have learned what all a top of a line model will do. And it is the only machine I have owned, or do own, that I have never broke.... I sew a LOT! and I now have 9 machines, counting my serger... I have owned every thing but a Bernia, which are good machines. I just break ever one I touch. Some people can't drive a Ford/or Chevy... I can't "drive" a Bernia! I also love my old Singer Featherweight from the 1940's that is best straight stitch ever!
And I second that if you really get into sewing you will want/need a serger! I can make a T shirt in 20 min, cut out to wearing, on a slow day!

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you do like sewing then buy a better model with more options then you think you will use. Esp. if you are sewing for a little girl. You "sew up" to the next level, and the more options of stitches, and the better the machine you have the more you sew.

No matter what brand you get I think it is very important to get one from a store that has a service/sales team that you like and are comfortable. If you are only sewing 10 or less hours a week this is not as important... but if you really get into it, it pays to have a good realtionship with a store that will fix you machine when you have a Christmas dress/wedding dress/? due in 2 days and it breaks down at 3 am! My local shop has never taken more then 2 days to fix any thing! cross fingers!!!

Thanks for the advice Idofabric- I have a designer 2 and the embroidery component and I love it. I have only done the quilting with it and embroidery, but it is a good machine I think. I should practice with the other stitches too. I think your advice about waiting for the serger is a smart one. I don't know why but I am nervous about cutting out the dress for my granddaughter, crazy! Thanks everyone.

Just an update about sewing the dress for my dgd. I did it!!!! It turned out really cute and fit her exactly. My 28 yo daughter liked it and said I could make her one like it and she would wear it. She was impressed. It had a halter top and elastic in the back. Thanks for all the encouragement, I will do alot more sewing now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter