I thought we should buy @VWL, DH says BWV - WWYD?

itutorfortravel

I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addi
So...I was all set on starting to watch sales for contracts at VWL because we typically go to WDW at Christmas and love the theming...and I wanted to have the best chance of booking there for that time of year.

But DH says we need to think more long term when we decide where to buy...in other words, what we would enjoy most at WDW as empty nesters and what resort offers lots of onside entertainment. He's thinking we might be doing F&W more in later years (like in 7 years from now) and that our Christmas trips will be fewer when our DD is in college and beyond. With the boardwalk area he also thought there might be more on site entertainment at BWV , is that true?

I love VWL but I'm thinking he may have a valid argument. Aside from BWV, any other resorts you think might be nice to consider given our stage of life and the ways our travel patterns may change in later years? Hope this makes sense!

BTW, we would like to do resale due to cost...and contracts that expire early are not a negative for us, so we are open to considering all resorts. Thanks!

So...I was all set on starting to watch sales for contracts at VWL because we typically go to WDW at Christmas and love the theming...and I wanted to have the best chance of booking there for that time of year.

But DH says we need to think more long term when we decide where to buy...in other words, what we would enjoy most at WDW as empty nesters and what resort offers lots of onside entertainment. He's thinking we might be doing F&W more in later years (like in 7 years from now) and that our Christmas trips will be fewer when our DD is in college and beyond. With the boardwalk area he also thought there might be more on site entertainment at BWV , is that true?

I love VWL but I'm thinking he may have a valid argument. Aside from BWV, any other resorts you think might be nice to consider given our stage of life and the ways our travel patterns may change in later years? Hope this makes sense!

BTW, we would like to do resale due to cost...and contracts that expire early are not a negative for us, so we are open to considering all resorts. Thanks!

I would take a quick trip (maybe rent points) and stay at both. See which decor/location/restaurants you like without just guessing. The details make a difference in a big purchase like this.

Theming is such a personal preference. VWL is lovely at Christmas, no doubt about it. But it is also nice to be at BWV at Christmas and be able to walk to Illuminations with the special holiday ending and to Osborne Lights. Food and Wine in the fall and Flower and Garden in the spring are also very convenient from BWV. Regarding entertainment, there are almost always performers on the BW at night and you might enjoy Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance Hall and ESPN too.
If MK is the park where you spend the most time, then VWL would be a better choice. I am not that fond of the current decor in the VWL rooms (I am in the minority I imagine) because it is rather dark. But I think that the rehab that is starting at VWL will brighten the rooms a bit. Also, VWL has a more serene feel to it and BWV seems more lively to me, but others may not agree. Which type of ambiance you like should factor into your decision. Good luck!

I would buy VWL now and sell later then buy BWV or buy both.

:earsboy: Bill

We own at VWL and have stayed at BWV. Love them both, but VWL is my favorite as it is so much more relaxed and it feels less crowded as you do not have the Boardwalk crowds walking around. VWL is close to the MK, but still secluded. I also love the Territory Louge to have a drink. It is also a boat ride away from the Top of the World Lounge and you can see the EWP. VWL is hard to book at Xmas at 7 months and BWV is hard to book at 7 months during F&W. Pluses to both, but we love VWL. Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will love which ever one you buy.

Both VWL and BWV are great resorts, you won't go wrong with either.

In general, which resort is "better" is largely a matter of how much the theming appeals to you.

Objectively, there are some things to consider:

- It's easier to get to MK from VWL.

- VWL is about half the size of BWV.

- With the opening of 2 Monorail Resorts and a third on the way, it seems booking VWL is a bit easier than it used to be.

- Crescent Lake and Epcot's World Showcase are the most "grown-up" areas of WDW. Something to keep be mind as you become empty nesters.

- The Boardwalk has several adult venues. Really, there's nothing like it at any of the other resorts.

- BWV is within walking or boating distance of two WDW theme parks. At the end of the evening, it's particularly convenient and romantic to walk back from the World Showcase to either BCV or BWV.

- BWV is extremely popular during the Food & Wine Festival.

- BWV offers 3 levels of rooms. Just about the only way to get two of them (Standard View or Boardwalk View) during the most popular times of the year (e.g. F&WF, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) is to own there.

- Arguably, a Standard View Studio at BWV is perhaps WDW's best bargain, needing as few at 10 points per night during F&WF. At Standard View rates, points at BWV go a pretty long way. Heck, a week in a BWV Standard View Studio in October is only 78 points. Compare that to the same week in a VWL Studio at 107 points.

If all of the above shows a bias towards BWV, it should. It's one of my Home Resorts and I spent a lot of time thinking about my options before deciding that BWV was the best option out there! :)

However, all this objective stuff is somewhat meaningless. You really should buy at which resort you'd be the most happy at. If you love VWL, then buy there.

If you are not sure about BWV, then you really should consider staying there at least one time to see if you like it.

Based on our own experience, we should've bought near Epcot immediately. We thought BLT would be perfect but without the kids we spend little time there. The Epcot area is busier that the MK area because venues are closer plus the boardwalk with the restaurants and ESPN.

VWL has a great lobby and nice bar but the rooms have exclusively wooded views and buses/boats are needed to get everywhere. :faint:

I would take a quick trip (maybe rent points) and stay at both. See which decor/location/restaurants you like without just guessing. The details make a difference in a big purchase like this.

This is what we did - we're Disney regulars and Fl residents - so we're up there quite often - we just rented points and tried our target resorts (BC and BWV) on for size - before that we did some extended visiting to all the other DVC resorts - spend one day of a vacation and wander around, talk to the CM's, they'll usually let you see a room.

I would buy VWL now and sell later then buy BWV or buy both.

:earsboy: Bill
I would buy both if looking at 300 or more points yearly, otherwise, I'd simply make a choice. Prices are comparable. Personally I'd do BWV because we prefer it overall, you have the BW view and standard view options, it's a little cheaper and it's larger so more contracts to chose from in all likelihood. However, if you're set on VWL the next 5-7 years, buying there might be best for many people. I would disagree with Bill in that buying now then selling and buying the other later will add an extra 10% plus around $500 to your total cost long term. While you could buy small at both, that too will add a fair amount to your cost, likely about $500 plus $5-10 pp extra.

Of course the other question, and likely bigger one, is how many points to cover both scenarios. For the usage you describe, you'll also need less points later than you do now. To handle this issue one might consider buying the minimum that will work with banking/borrowing now so that you're not too far over later.

I have to agree about BWV and the point requirements for standard view. You pretty much need to own there to get those with any regularity. Also being able to walk to 2 parks is a big plus along with all the dining options.

You can always go to visit VWL during the holidays to get your fix. ;) After all, the rooms aren't decorated and you can't sleep in the lobby.

If you want a standard or BW view and/or f&w, then buy bwv. If you only plan to travel during Christmas, then buy vwl. Or buy a vwl that would cover your Christmas stays & bwv to cover the rest. However, it is all personal preference & I would visit both before buying. Lots to do on BW and close to parks- love that place! However, enjoy vwl during Christmas and not tough to get in at other times of year especially in comparison to std or BW view at bwv. The bw view is amazing! Good luck!

They both have great decorations at Xmas...though VWL is a bit better. BWV is very convenient to Epcot and HS while VWL is convenient to MK. You could get a small contract at both. If it were me, I'd go with BWV because we have older kids and find that we are at Epcot most (and we did F&W this year and loved it). BCV is a nice choice too...actually I'd prefer to own there as it is a smaller resort and tougher to book. BCV is super close to the Boardwalk and Epcot, so it too offers tons of dining and nightly activities. Though BWV ownership allows you to book, the tough to get at 7 months out, standard view rooms for conserving points.

I don't think it has to be so black and white as either/or. We just bought a 75pt contract for VWL. Assuming we like being owners then I think the next one will be another small contract for BWV/BCV. This will give us the opportunity to split stay since we like both areas quite a bit.

There are some negatives to this approach but I'm pretty cautious and like to have open options and hedge against the future in the event we want out or want to downsize.

Admittedly, I'm prejudice to VWL. One thing to consider is that VWL is much smaller. It's harder to get rooms if you are not an owner. BW is larger so the odds of getting a 7 month reservation is easier... assuming it's not F&W... just another consideration.

As someone who owns at BCV and VWL, I agree with the other posters. The two resorts have a very different feel. Both are great.

If you have not stayed at either resort you should. I thought my husband would like BWV and after staying there - he never wants to go back. Yet, he love BCV. Go figure.

Good Luck and enjoy the process of discovery.:)

We've owned at VWL for 12 years and love it. Recently we added on at BWV and mostly for the reasons that your DH mentions. The access to entertainment and dining options, the convenience of walking to 2 parks, can't be beat. And we're new fans of F&W.

Theming definitely more appealing to us at VWL. And using the boat opens up all the dining options on Seven Seas Lagoon - CR, GF, Poly. The sense of peace at VWL is wonderful.

As a few PP already said, you need to decide as a couple what type of vacations you will be taking, and what aspects are most important to you.

We own BLT and BWV. BWV is my DH's favorite and for the exact reasons you mention. Our children are now older--youngest is going to 18 and heading off to college next year. DH and I are now doing two trips a year just us and we enjoy being in the Boardwalk area...one of these times, we are going to try a few nights at SSR because we go for more "adult" type of things vs. the parks, rides, etc.

Being close to Epcot is wonderful for dinner choices, for a nightly stroll with a drink in had, and for just being able to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere.

When we stat at BLT, we do so to get in our MK fix, spend time visiting the resorts along the monorail, and just relaxing, but if he had to choose, it would be BWV.

We have stayed at VWL and while it is a nice and peaceful resort, we prefer ones that can connect us to other options.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if you can still buy VWL through Disney or must you buy resale? I'm currently checking our options.

TIA

Does anyone know if you can still buy VWL through Disney or must you buy resale? I'm currently checking our options. TIA

You can buy any resort through Disney direct including VWL. That's the wrong question, though.

The question is, "would we want to buy VWL direct?" And the answer is- no!

You can buy the same property for $50 or more less per point on the resale market. On a 160 point contract, that's a price difference of at least $8,000. And resale is identical to direct for all economically reasonable options of use. Read the extensive threads here, for numerous examples of why this is true.

Does anyone know if you can still buy VWL through Disney or must you buy resale? I'm currently checking our options.

TIA

Another question might be why do you want to purchase directly from DVC instead of going resale?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter