I think that we are the only ones who want to do this...

rlyrehc

Mouseketeer
I have looked at other threads and we seem to be the only ones who are interested in this route. We are interested in either driving from Anaheim to Sequoia (maybe) and onto Yosemite for 2 days and then over to SF for 1 day and then fly home -OR- flying from LA to SF and then drive to Yosemite for a couple of days and check out the seqoias there and then back to SF for 1 day and then fly home? Has anybody done this before? Any help is appreciated.

rlyrehc said:
I have looked at other threads and we seem to be the only ones who are interested in this route. We are interested in either driving from Anaheim to Sequoia (maybe) and onto Yosemite for 2 days and then over to SF for 1 day and then fly home -OR- flying from LA to SF and then drive to Yosemite for a couple of days and check out the seqoias there and then back to SF for 1 day and then fly home? Has anybody done this before? Any help is appreciated.
I would definitely suggest flying to SF, then driving to Yosemite. LA to SF is at least a 6-7 hour drive, in no traffic :rotfl2: . SF to Yosemite is probably another 6 hour drive.

If you're interested in seeing the Redwoods, consider visiting the Santa Cruz mountains, which are only about 1 hour south of SF. Look up the Henry Cowell State Park. We camp there almost every summer, it's beautiful and has some beautiful, huge redwoods. Though Yosemite is very special and beautiful for many reasons...

Oops. I haven't checked this board in a while because it seems deserted. (Crickets chirping and all that.) We are leaving on Oct. 5th and will be in that area from the 11th -15th or 16th. Still trying to finalize plans. Told my dh that we couldn't do it until somebody gave me good feedback on this board. Any ideas?

Hi there,

Although I think Sequoia is beautiful, and have driven there, and then Yosemite often (just went again last August), if you are strapped for time, you can skip Sequoia, and go directly to Yosemite. There is a famous grove of sequoia trees there called Mariposa. The drive, depending on traffic, is 6.5 - 7.5 hours from Anaheim to Yosemite, and maybe 3 hours from Yosemite to San Francisco. I have never in my life seen such grandeur as I have from Yosemite, and it's my favorite place in the world, so I am a little biased.

In fact, when my cousins came out from Spain, I took them on a trip up the coast to San Francisco, drove to Yosemite, spent a couple of nights there, and then drove back to LA, so we did that trip, but in reverse.

Because it's fire season and you never know ahead of time what routes will be shut down/closed off.....I'd say your best bet is to book a flight from SNA airport near Anaheim to San Francisco (or Oakland if it's a lot cheaper).......and then plan day trip or two day trip from San Fran. If fire season brings about some trouble, then you can always just stay in San Francisco area the whole time.

I

Thank you for all of your help. My husband came home from work last night and said that he is adament about visiting the Gen. Sherman and not driving to it so, believe it or not, the guy that counted every penny when we first got married, insisted on a $300 (x 4) direct flight from LA to Fresno. I am so frustrated. What a waste of money. Anyway...

Here's our proposed itinerary...
fly to Fresno Wed afternoon and check into hotel for one night. Visit Sequoia next morning and drive (3 1/2 hours right?) to Yosemite and stay there through Sat evening and drive over to SF (3 1/2 hours again, right?) and check into a hotel late that evening. Take a city tour of SF on Sunday and maybe Alkatraz. Fly home Mon morning. Sound OK? I know that it's a whirlwind tour but we have our kids out of school for 11 days and are trying to see the whole state. Ugghh. I wish that I could be "Julie the Activities Director from The Love Boat" without any outside interference from dh! ;)

Any feedback on this itinerary?

I think the flight to Fresno might take as long as driving. I would better recommend driving to Visalia (3 hours from Los Angeles), and then Sequoia is probably two hours from there. You'll see Moro Rock as you drive up, pass Hospital Rock & you can stop there to see the Indian Petrographs, and then continue up to Giant Forest.

However, if you want to fly to Fresno.... It will take about 2 hours to get to Sequoia. You'll go on Highway 180 to Grants Grove, and then continue for about an hour to get to the Giant Forest, where the General Sherman is. I can understand wanting to see it as it is the LARGEST living thing on Earth!

The rest of your itinerary is good. :)

Wow, I didn't even know they HAD flights to Fresno with 4 seats on them, thought they were all two-seaters LOL!

Anyway, try Columbus Motor Inn in San Francisco, good place for a family of four and they won't charge you $30 extra to park the car.

If you plan on doing Alcatraz, be aware that tickets often sell out. It is the off season so you may be okay if you get there early. How old are the kids? One of my favorite things in San Francisco when traveling with kids is the Exploratorium. It is near the Palace of Fine Arts. It is all hands on science exhibits and it's great for both kids and adults.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter