I swam with the sea lions

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
This will be in my trip report, but someone had asked about it a while back, so I figured I'd do a quick post.
At Chanakaab Natural Park in Cozumel, I signed up for swimming with the sea lions. We took a taxi there on our own and paid to see the sea lion show. I noticed that there was still space available for the swim, so I did it. Hubby is not as much of an animal lover as me, so he took a pass. I think it was $59. You don a life vest and go into the water where they have the sea lion show, which is about 5 feet deep. There were only five of us, plus one trainer. The first sea lion didn't want to interact with us, so they brought out another one. We were able to pet, hug, kiss, and feed it. It swam to us in the water and did tricks like jumping over our outstretched arms. The whole experience was videotaped and the tape was available for purchase. They took photos too, but they wanted $14.95 for a photo, which was ridiculous, especially considering that photos with the macaws at the sea lion show were only $5. They gave a slight price break if you bought more than one photo, but I only wanted one. The two clerks argued in Spanish (I think the one was trying to tell the other it would be better to sell a photo to me at a discount rather than simply throw it away), but they stuck to the $14.95 so I just got the video instead. We didn't have our own camera because I hadn't been planning on doing the swim.
I would recommend it, especially to animal lovers, as it's a very unique experience, even tho' it's pricey.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We are doing the dolphin swim there in December. I saw that they added the seal swim and was all set to sign us up for that too, but I noticed the minimum age was 12. My dd is a HUGE Seal freak (Andre the Seal is her favorite movie and we always go to see the memorial to him in Rockport, ME every year) and was very dissapointed that she couldn't do it - although she can do the dolphin swim.

I guess we will just have to settle for the show and pic with the seal afterwards.

Is there a website that I can go to to check this out further ... perhaps make reservations ... I don't think this is thru DCL ... is it?

Thanks a bunch!

:)

I don't know if they have a website, as there was plenty of space available to book it when we arrived. If you can't find a way to do it beforehand, just go to the sea lion area as soon as you arrive at the park and inquire about it.
You might also want to ask about the age limit, as the kids who did it at the same time as me didn't appear to be 12. It's very safe, as you wear a life jacket that keeps you afloat and the water was only five feet deep. Sometimes they do it in the ocean, but if they are doing it in the show area, they might let a kid do it, especially if a parent is with them. The two kids who did it when I did had their dad in the water with them.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I went on their own website and in the description it said the minimum age was 12. I think I will email them and see if this is correct because my dd really wants to do this. I just thought it was wierd that you have to be older to swim with a seal than a dolphin.

There is a BIG difference between a SEAL and a SEA LION! Be sure you know what you are getting. I would hate your daughter to be disapointed, thinking she will be swimming with a seal.

Actually she loves harbor seals and sea lions. In the movie Andre was portrayed by a sea lion, although he was a harbor seal in "real life". She definitely knows the difference and would be happy with any type they had :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter