"I Stuck My Finger in Your Caramel" and Other DDP Shenanigans w/Pics (Complete 6/19)

Overall Thoughts and Opinions: We struggle to find places to eat at DHS, seems like we always do Backlot or Starrring Rolls. If there was something better I think we wouldn't do BE as often. It's just mainly burgers, hot dogs, and nuggets. The food was fine, the only bad thing was it took us a while to get our food considering how few people were in front of us. I wish BE had a topping bar like Cosmic Rays or Pecos Bill. But , OTOH, refills on Coke is nice.

We also had trouble finding something at DHS until our trip in 2011 and we discovered a couple of really good options.
At Backlot express:
Grilled Turkey and Cheese - Multigrain Ciabatta, Arugula, and Red Peppers served with Carrot Sticks or French Fries - $9.19
At Studio Catering Co:
Pressed Turkey Club - Turkey, Applewood-smoked Bacon, Swiss, Roasted Red Pepper, Arugula, Multigrain Ciabatta Bread served with Coleslaw, Apple Slices, or French Fries - $10.19

They are both very good :thumbsup2

Well I've ran out of bandwith, I guess that's a good thing. I need to figure out Plan B on my pictures and I will resume with my reviews. Sorry for the delays. I was hoping to get these done.

Anxious to see your Portobello pics. I'm considering it for our July trip. I've enjoyed your reviews so far!

None of your pictures are showing up and when I click on one of the restaurants, the link is not working...

Love the reviews! I agree with you on the Yoda cupcake; it was so disappointing because you couldn't taste the nutella at all. Just blandness. The Darth Vader cupcake was wonderful!

Portobello is one place I haven't tried yet. Looks like that might have to change!

So today was another DHS day because we kind of got our days mixed up. This was a SWW day, so no way we were going to do something else. We were up bright and early since DHS opened at 8. So sometime in the early morning DH starts feeling a little blah and he thinks maybe a snack might help him.

Starring Rolls Snacks

Bagel

DH was looking for something a little more savory than sweet. We stopped at a couple of coffee carts but all they had was pastries. We ended up back at Starring Rolls hoping they would have a more savory snack, but this was the closest they had. He didn't really comment on it. It's just a regular bagel. They did have a toaster for him to toast it.

Cinnamon Roll

The picture really doesn't do it justice, this was a huge cinnamon roll. DS didn't let anyone else try it. I did see it after DS had cut into it and it had a lot of air in it. So even though it looks big, it's not quite as filling as it looks.

OK so I didn't want to set up a whole new post just for this one pretzel. I got it at the snack place in Darth's Mall. I'm grouping it with these because after we left SR we went to the Mall where I picked up this snack.

Mickey Pretzel

It was good, a nice thick and chewy pretzel. I wish I had sucked up the extra buck and got some kind of dipping sauce with it because it got pretty dry about halfway thru. I'm not a huge pretzel fan but this was pretty good.

Overall Thoughts and Opinions: This was just a quick trip to SR. We were hoping for some less sweet items but the bagel worked.

Some time after our snacks we started trying to decide on lunch. We had already hit our two go-to places, Starring Rolls and Backlot Express. DH got on his iPhone and started looking at menus. He actually found at Fairfax Fare they had ribs and chicken on the menu. The only downer is I didn't care to eat outside and it really didn't matter because it didn't appeal to DS. We decided just to finish up DHS and head back to our resort and eat at the food court there.

Pepper Market

The last time we ate at Pepper Market they were trying out that buffet. I'm kind of glad they went back to the old way.

Chicken Nachos

I got the Chicken Nachos and DS got the beef nachos. I guess I didn't get a picture of DS's nachos because all I can find is mine. This picture actually looks like beef to me but I know it's not because DS gets his without sour cream. The nachos were good enough. I think they had seasoned chicken, black bean, cheese, sour cream, and jalepenos. They were filling and there was a lot there. You can also customize however you want, for example DS asked for his without sour cream. I told DH as I was eating them they were missing something. They just didn't have a lot of flavor. I told DS at the time they couldve used some salsa or taco sauce.

Carolina Roasted Chicken

This is DH's meal. He was looking for something a little heavier, more like a real meal. He enjoyed the chicken, it had some kind of mustard glaze on it. You may be able to tell by the picture that it had a yellowish color to it. He said I wouldn't have like it because I don't care much for mustard. The sides were OK, just instant type mashed potatoes and some grilled mixed veggies that were pretty good. He really did like the corn muffin that came with it. It reminded him of the sweet cornbread we ate at Boatwrights a couple of years back.

I was diappointed in the desserts this trip. The bakery has moved to the other side and they don't have near as many options as before. I remember in the past seeing several different types of cakes, different cookies, all kinds of pastries, and other options. This time they had two types of cake, red velvet and chocolate. A couple of cookies and a couple of pastries to choose from. I think they also had those weird churro rings. Anyway....

German Chocolate Cake

This was DS's dessert. He said it was fine. I remember several years ago when all of PM's cakes were two layers instead of one. The quality was about the same but the size has reduced drastically over the years. It was an OK cake, these cakes always look better than they taste.

Cheese Danish

I got the Cheese Danish. It was actually pretty good and was large too. I think they had a coupe of flavors of this danish to choose from

Crumb Dessert

I'm not real sure what this dessert is or what it's called. I believe DH referred to it as maybe some kind of apple crumble or something. It's more like a chewy bar. It was big and just OK. I wish I remembered more about it.

Overall Thoughts and Opinions: Pepper Market at one time was BY FAR our favorite resort food court, especially if you were on the DDP. Now, not as much. It's still OK, the food was decent but that's about it. I was disappointed at the lack fo dessert options. I was GLAD it went back to being not a buffet though. I would eat here again if we stayed at the resort but wouldn't go out of my way to eat here like we have done in the past.

I had the nachos at PM last month and they were delicious! We were in love with the brownies at PM Bakery they were amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

So a couple of years ago DS decided he wanted to eat here because he was taking French at the time and thought it would be interesting. It turned out to be the surprise meal of the trip, in the same way Portobello was this trip. So of course he wanted to eat here again.

Chefs de France

So we checked in about 15 minutes or so before our ADR time and were seated not long after our time. My hearing isn't great (too many years in a chemical plant and listening to loud music), but all of us had a terrible time hearing the hostess call out names. Every time she would call out a name DH and I would lean in to make sure we heard her. But we didn't miss our name and got seated.

I was pleased to see that we were seated in the glassed in atrium part of the restaurant. We weren't next to a window but we could see out. Our ADR was for 8:10 and I wondered if we would be able to see part of Illuminations from our seat. So onto the meal.....

French Onion Soup

I went with one of the priced fixed menus that are available here on the DDP. Mainly because I wanted to try the onion soup. I don't think I've ever really had French Onion Soup so I don't have much to compare it too, but this was really good. You may not be able to tell by the picture but it was a HUGE bowl. It had a bunch of bread and cheese in it. It was very, very hot and had to wait for it to cool down some, I actually burnt my tongue trying to eat it. I ate all I could, DH and DS also ate a fair amount of it too.

Bagette

This came out the same time as my soup. I could make a meal on a couple of loaves of this bread, some of that tasty butter, and a bowl of that french onion soup. Seriously. The bread was wonderful. Kind of hard and crunchy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside. I don't know what kind of butter they use, but I hope I never find it in a store anywhere. We ate that loaf fairly quick and asked for another one.

Braised Beef Short Ribs

I got this as part of the price fixed menu. Last time we ate here the short ribs came with pasta and that's what the menu on allears still shows. The option we had was with polenta and carrots. I had that lovely experience with polenta at Portobello, so that with the option of getting onion soup talked me into getting the price finxed menu. This meal was just OK. I think part of it was I had filled up on soup and bread. The meat was very tender and had a nice brown gravy on it. The polenta was OK but not anything like what I had at Portobello. It was thicker and set up enough so they could cut out a little triangle. It also just tasted like grits to me, where the polenta at Portobello had a different flavor. I loved the presentation of the carrots. I'm not a carrot fan but I ate some because they were so cut.

Grilled Beef Tenderloin

DH and DS both got this. Both ordered the Peppercorn sauce on the side because they didn't know if they would like it or not. DH tried it and said it wasn't for him, mainly because of the wine flavor (neither DH or I care for wine, we are more beer drinkers). He said the beef was good. The green beans were a little crunchy for us, we are southerners and we like our beans cooked down a little. The potato gratin had an odd flavor. It had a strong onion flavor and the cheese in it was strong too. DH ate his but DS didn't, whereas DS ate his beans and DS didn't.

We had wondered if we would be able to see Illuminations from our seat. So sometime between the end of the main course and waiting for dessert, Illuminations started. I was please to see we could see most of it pretty good.

Not a great picture but you get the idea that we could see pretty good.

So now onto the good stuff.....

Fresh Strawberry and Creme Cake

So this is what I ordered. It's a fresh strawberry and creme cake with a raspberry sauce and raspberry sorbet. I was a little disappointed when they brought it out. I don't know what I was expecting but this wasn't it. I kind of looked like a dessert I used to get at Pepper Market, and honestly kind of tasted like on. It was just a white cake with a few slices of strawberry on it. I may have had one whole strawberry but I doubt it. I think there was three slices on mine an they weren't half a berry each. The cake to me was good, but just tasted like a good white cake. There was some strawberry glaze on top that was decent. The raspberry sorbet on the side was good, I wish there had been a little more. And the sauce was good too. This wasn't a bad dessert, though it was just OK at best. I was expecting more though, especially more strawberries.

Puff Choix

THis was DS's dessert, he really liked it, mainly because it was covered in chocolate. It was basically a cream puff with ice cream in the middle and covered with chocolate sauce. He said it was good.

Creme Brulee

This was just a basic creme brulee. DH didn't really comment on it so I assume it was fine.

Overall Thoughts and Opinions: I went back and reread this review and from the things I said you probably think I will say I didn't like our meal. We DID like our meal. I've read on the DIS about poor service here, but ours has been fine both times. The onion soup was excellent. All our meats were good but the sides weren't great. I was a little disappointed in my dessert but no one else was. I think we enjoyed it more last trip because we were expecing not to like it, but this time we knew we liked it, if that makes sense. The view of Illuminations was an unexpected treat. I would eat here again.

Enjoyed reading your reviews with pictures. We will be going to some of the same restaurants.

Looking forward to hearing more :thumbsup2

Enjoying your review. We are eating at a lot of the same places on our next trip so I am looking forward to the rest of your reviews.

great pics and reviews - thanks for posting. Looking forward to the rest :)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I am enjoying your review! The pics are great! Keep it coming :hyper:

Great reviews so far! Can't wait for more!

Anxious to see your Portobello pics. I'm considering it for our July trip. I've enjoyed your reviews so far!

Love the reviews! I agree with you on the Yoda cupcake; it was so disappointing because you couldn't taste the nutella at all. Just blandness. The Darth Vader cupcake was wonderful!

Portobello is one place I haven't tried yet. Looks like that might have to change!

Thanks everyone for signing on, I hope everyone is still enjoying the reviews.

We also had trouble finding something at DHS until our trip in 2011 and we discovered a couple of really good options.
At Backlot express:
Grilled Turkey and Cheese - Multigrain Ciabatta, Arugula, and Red Peppers served with Carrot Sticks or French Fries - $9.19
At Studio Catering Co:
Pressed Turkey Club - Turkey, Applewood-smoked Bacon, Swiss, Roasted Red Pepper, Arugula, Multigrain Ciabatta Bread served with Coleslaw, Apple Slices, or French Fries - $10.19

They are both very good :thumbsup2

I noticed the one sandwich on the menu but not the other, I'm sure it's there I just didn't notice it. After one more day at DHS we noticed at Fairfax Fare, they now serve a ribs, chicken, and a ribs and chicken combo similar to what Cosmic rays had. We were interested in trying it but DS didn't want to. Maybe WDW is finally trying to put some better options in DHS :thumbsup2

At some parks we struggle with where to eat, at Epcot we struggle to get all the places we want to eat in. One of our favorite CS restaurants at EPcot is the counter service at La Haciends.

I guess the official name is....

La Cantina de San Angel

It may be called that but it's part of La Hacienda. The salsa is the same, the chips are the same, you can even eat inside the restaurant.

Tacos de Carne - Beef Tacos

DH and DS got the beef tacos. DS usually gets the nachos, but I guess he had the nachos at PM yesterday and wanted something different. DH really likes these, he gets them every time. They are not ground beef like we are used to, but shredded beef brisket. The brisket was good and had a lot of flavor. There are three tacos but they are small, 3 or 4 inch shells instead of the six that I'm used to. There was a lot of meat though.

Tacos de Pollo - Chicken Tacos

I got the chicken tacos. I debated on getting the cheese empanadas. I had them before and they were pretty good but I needed some meat. Like the beef tacos, they had a good amount of meat. The chicken had a good flavor. I thought in the past they gave you a lime to squeeze over your tacos, and I missed not having it this time. Of course you also get chips with your meal, and they have the same green and red salsas that La Hacienda has at dinner.

Churritos with Caramel Sauce

This and fruit popsicles are the only dessert option. I thought about getting the popsicle but I figured it would be half melted before I could finish my meal. I used to love the churros here, but not a fan of these "churritos". They are fried bread rings with cinnamon and sugar. These are basically just crunchy, not crispy on the outside and soft on the inside like a real churro. I thought they had a greasy taste, you could tell they were fried. Now OTOH the caramel sauce is delicious. It's not as thick as normal caramel, I think at one time I saw it referred to as caramel milk. It is thin more like a milk than a sauce. It's not a great dessert, but the caramel sauce bumps it up.

Overall Thoughts and Opinions:We all like this meal. The food is good and we like the chips and salsa. The first couple of times we ate here we had a very hard time finding seats. The last time we ate here we found that you could sit inside La hacienda. Even though there were seats outside, we preferred to eat inside. It's a lot cooler and you have access to the bathrooms. If you decide to eat inside don't bother trying to get salsas and napkins, they have them inside too.

AFter we ate at La Cantina, we decided to work our way around World Showcase. We knew we were having a late dinner so we decided to do some snacks. As many times as we've been to WDW (probably a dozen), we've never done Maelstrom. So we did that and decided while we were there to stop and get our favorite treat.

Kringla Bakery

School Bread

This is our favorite Epcot snack. Honestly I have no idea why, but we all love it. It tastes like a roll with some buttery filling, coconut icing on top, and some more of that buttery icing. It's not real sweet but good. I thought about getting something else but in the end I had to have my School Bread fix.

We stopped in Germany to look around the caramel shop, sorry I can't think of the name. They have some decent treats in there. DH bought some kind of caramel chewy bar to bring home. I didn't get a picture of it because he didn't eat it then and I forgot.

Crepes de Chefs de France

Chocolate Crepe

Of course we had to stop at France and get DS his favorite Epcot snack. He loves these things. I've had them before and I think they are just OK.

Les Vins de Chefs de France

Grand Marnier Slush

Of course while DS was getting his favorite snack, DH and I got this to share. This is one of the few drinks we buy at WDW. THe best drink on Disney property. It has a nice orangey flavor but you can still taste the liquor in it.

Refreshment Port

Croissant Donut

I had been wanting to try this since I heard Disney had one on the menu. Notice it isn't a Cronut but a croissant donut. Anyway I had been looking forward to trying one. I liked it but not quite as much as I thought I would. I thought I would absolutely love it, but I just liked it. It was very soft on the inside and had lots of cinnamon sugar on the outside. I told DS it kind of reminded me of one of the really good Universal Studios churros.

We enjoy snacking around Epcot, in a way I wish we weren't on the DDP so we wouldn't have been tied to a counter service meal, so we could just snack. We hit a few highlights but wish we could've done more.

Well I was hoping to have my reviews done by now, but work and technical difficulties put me behind. I'm going to have to take a break for a few days. I'm having carpal tunnel surgery done in morning, yes I realize I scheduled surgery on Friday the 13th :scared1:. I hope to be back on my reviews by early next week. I only have a few left and I hope it won't take long to get them done.

Well I was hoping to have my reviews done by now, but work and technical difficulties put me behind. I'm going to have to take a break for a few days. I'm having carpal tunnel surgery done in morning, yes I realize I scheduled surgery on Friday the 13th :scared1:. I hope to be back on my reviews by early next week. I only have a few left and I hope it won't take long to get them done.

Good luck with surgery! Enjoying your review.....and I know what you mean by driving! I'm in East Tennessee also. We drive down, and then turn around and most times drive to the parks!

Best of luck with your surgery today!

I absolute love La Cantina de San Angel; in September 2014, they were still giving limes to squeeze over your tacos. I thought the beef had a good flavor but the lime gave it nice balance, so I'll definitely have to ask for a wedge on our next visit!

Good luck with the surgery! You'll be back soon....just typing a little slower!

Good luck with surgery! Enjoying your review.....and I know what you mean by driving! I'm in East Tennessee also. We drive down, and then turn around and most times drive to the parks!

Good luck with your surgery. I've been enjoying your reviews.

Best of luck with your surgery today!

I absolute love La Cantina de San Angel; in September 2014, they were still giving limes to squeeze over your tacos. I thought the beef had a good flavor but the lime gave it nice balance, so I'll definitely have to ask for a wedge on our next visit!

:thanks: Surgery went fine. I'm able to peck this post out with my left hand, but hope I'll be able to post some more pictures in a few days :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter