I still can't believe how much ap saves you...thank you!

ibrokeitmommy

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to thank everyone who participates on this board. I've used the forums for Disney but never for Universal, this will be our first family trip there!

We had originally planned to just spend 1 night at HRH and 2 days at Universal over spring break and rent a condo for the rest. By reading through all the info here I discovered we can stay at HRH two nights and then 4 at Cabana Bay plus have AP for LESS $ than we were planning to spend by staying off property. Our spring break happens to land the week before blackout dates for AP so it worked perfectly.

I was growing concerned about all the hidden fees associated with renting a condo, plus none of the pools seemed that great. I know my kids are going to have a great time now and we can be a bit more leisurely at Universal instead of trying to be there open to close for two days. I'm nervous about spring break crowds but with the EE and express pass I feel we can see everything we want to in the 6 days we are there.

Thanks again. I would never have realized any of this without everyone here. I was originally a little sad I wasn't planning for Disney but the more I research the more excited I am about visiting Universal.

so nice for you to be here with us and share your thoughts.
:grouphug:

the darkside forums are a small group but very friendly to everyone.

we all like to help others.

sending you mummy dust for a fantastic vacation at UO/darkside...!!

I'm waiting for the discounts for AP to open up for our dates (June 1) but I'm hoping we have good luck too!

I've learned so much on the DIS. I find the WDW sections overwhelming at times so I mostly hang out in the cruise area. The Universal forums are new to me, as well, but the folks here no less friendly, welcoming and beyond helpful. :)

Yes, even for a three night trip, when I did the math on HRH it was cheaper for me to buy APs (seasonal pass) than pay rack plus park to park tickets. The "number of days" break point is very low. Then again, the annual passes have a much lower break point by themselves vs Disney, from what I can tell.

I agree as well. Our first trip to Universal was in December and we saved so much with the APH rate at RPR that it paid the difference for our family's APs. It was a win-win for us! Thankful for everyone who shares here!!

I just wanted to thank everyone who participates on this board. I've used the forums for Disney but never for Universal, this will be our first family trip there!

We had originally planned to just spend 1 night at HRH and 2 days at Universal over spring break and rent a condo for the rest. By reading through all the info here I discovered we can stay at HRH two nights and then 4 at Cabana Bay plus have AP for LESS $ than we were planning to spend by staying off property. Our spring break happens to land the week before blackout dates for AP so it worked perfectly.

I was growing concerned about all the hidden fees associated with renting a condo, plus none of the pools seemed that great. I know my kids are going to have a great time now and we can be a bit more leisurely at Universal instead of trying to be there open to close for two days. I'm nervous about spring break crowds but with the EE and express pass I feel we can see everything we want to in the 6 days we are there.

Thanks again. I would never have realized any of this without everyone here. I was originally a little sad I wasn't planning for Disney but the more I research the more excited I am about visiting Universal.

Lovely to hear........hope you have an amazing trip........:)

What Universal seems to understand with their AP structure (and what I think the Mouse has moved away from) is the bounce-back effect of an AP.

I bought an AP in November 2015 for a 2-day part of a combined Universal/Disney trip. At the time, a Power Pass was about $30 more than a 2-day park-to-park pass. I figured that I would use it for that trip and do another trip in the fall of 2016 and it will have more than paid for itself. Then we went, had a FABULOUS time, and were hooked. I wound up doing a total of four trips to Universal (all staying on-site, all spending a significant amount of $$$ on food and merchandise) in one year. I also introduced a friend to Universal on one of those trips and SHE upgraded her tickets to an AP while there. And since I got some much use out of the pass in the first year, I renewed it. I probably won't go quite as often this year, but will likely do at least two trips.

So be careful, APs are addictive... :rolleyes1

This was mentioned in a thread I made earlier in the week! I am totally curious but I know I will end up making another road trip down to Orlando if I have an annual pass! :rolleyes: Who would want to waste that!

However, I will be staying during Thanksgiving weekend - a very busy holiday weekend obviously(but not blocked out for AP holders). Has anyone gotten a great AP discount during a weekend like this? Currently to stay at RPR during my weekend is $409/night :eek: !! So far I've only figured out how to save about $60 by booking everything separately....hoping to get a better rate than that!

Also, only one of us would need to buy an AP, right?

This board really is great, have gotten lots of great tips from you fine folks. :goodvibes

One adult would need to have the ap
for the room discount

Book your room if you can live with the rate

Watch the booking site and check frequently for aph rates for your dates

If you see ap rate available then call reservations and modify your room rate to the ap rate

Buy the ap then and pick it up once you are in the parks

You can show the ap at the check in lobby desk once you have it
You do not have to show the ap at check in time

I say book the room with the rate you can deal with In case you do not get an ap discount

What Universal seems to understand with their AP structure (and what I think the Mouse has moved away from) is the bounce-back effect of an AP.

I bought an AP in November 2015 for a 2-day part of a combined Universal/Disney trip. At the time, a Power Pass was about $30 more than a 2-day park-to-park pass. I figured that I would use it for that trip and do another trip in the fall of 2016 and it will have more than paid for itself. Then we went, had a FABULOUS time, and were hooked. I wound up doing a total of four trips to Universal (all staying on-site, all spending a significant amount of $$$ on food and merchandise) in one year. I also introduced a friend to Universal on one of those trips and SHE upgraded her tickets to an AP while there. And since I got some much use out of the pass in the first year, I renewed it. I probably won't go quite as often this year, but will likely do at least two trips.

So be careful, APs are addictive... :rolleyes1
I love that term "bounce back effect of the AP." I just wrote a lengthy letter to Disney about this and their AP pricing. We've let our APs lapse at Disney and they are definitely seeing less of us. January was a no parks trip and we did cut Disney short three days, bought a Universal AP and stayed at the HRH for three nights. We head back to Disney in October. We intended to purchase APs then but they raised their prices again. Guess what? No Disney AP but I will head over to Universal for several days of early entry with my Preferred Pass and Harry Potter fun. I'll be staying at Universal again in January on my AP. Their excellent perks for pass holders is making a customer out of me. I love Disney but they are losing me.

Last edited:
One adult would need to have the ap
for the room discount

Book your room if you can live with the rate

Watch the booking site and check frequently for aph rates for your dates

If you see ap rate available then call reservations and modify your room rate to the ap rate

Buy the ap then and pick it up once you are in the parks

You can show the ap at the check in lobby desk once you have it
You do not have to show the ap at check in time

I say book the room with the rate you can deal with In case you do not get an ap discount
Mac. Universal has told me more than once that one can use a child's AP for the discount. My daughter is 12 and we used her AP for the discount on our second room in January.

Mac. Universal has told me more than once that one can use a child's AP for the discount. My daughter is 12 and we used her AP for the discount on our second room in January.

There is no difference in adult or child annual pass prices, so it doesn't matter. I think there used to be an issue when there was a difference in AP prices.

I love my AP at Universal. Good discounts and I use it a lot. I still have an after 4 Epcot pass at Disney but I have no desire to higher than that anymore.

Disney has gotten stale for me and they charge an astronomical amount for their APs even with the Florida discount. Universals are not cheap but a bargain compared to Disney

Hi all,
I just booked our mid-June stay at RPR. All I've paid for so far is the one night room deposit. We have not purchased our tickets yet because in the past always got the 14 day, unlimited park to park (3 park then) pass. It was great even for our one week stay because we could pop into the parks just for dinner, or part of a day and not feel we were burning up an entire days ticket. From what I can tell, they do not offer this ticket anymore. The longest duration I've seen is a 5 day, park to park. We're not FL residents and this may be our only Universal trip this year. I read through this thread but am still a bit confused. Could it be worthwhile for one of us (or all of us) to get an AP for this trip? Could I still get a hotel discount even though we have made our reservation/paid our deposit already? I see comments about 'wait until AP discounts are released'.....I'm not sure what that entails or how to find that out?? Any help is appreciated.

If you get an ap and you see ap rates are available for your dates, call reservations and have your rate modified

That is what I always do

My dates for stay is the most important part of my trip

I book with a rate I can live with and then keep an eye out for deals to modify my rate later

If you get an ap and you see ap rates are available for your dates, call reservations and have your rate modified

That is what I always do

My dates for stay is the most important part of my trip

I book with a rate I can live with and then keep an eye out for deals to modify my rate later
Yes, we did just that. I know when we want to go so we booked it. I had never given any thought to an annual pass because we don't live in FL and usually only get to Universal once a year. But from what I'm reading, even for just ONE 1 week stay, the AP hotel discount might outweigh the diff in price from whatever is now the longest duration of ticket we can buy (I think they only go up to 5 days now). I'm just super bummed that there isn't the 14 day (or even a 7 day) ticket any longer. It was so nice to be covered for our entire stay and be able to do part days in the parks...or just dinner....or a water park morning. I will miss that ticket!
Where you say 'see AP rates are available"...where exactly are you seeing them and when? TIA

I put my dates in the booking site and also list aph for the code

If I get the red message no rooms available for my dates, that lets me know ap ratesare not out yet

I play around with the dates to then see if any of my dates has that ap discount

Ap rates come out at various times

And it can cover select time periods

I do book in advance but still check if anything better will come out

I do book my stay when I find a rate I can live with even if no discounts are out there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter