I really want to take my Mom on a cruise, but...

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
she is extremely claustrophobic. When we are in a hotel she must sleep in bed closest to door, have the drapes open. If you have sailed on the Dream in a verandah cabin, how large is it in relation to cabins on the Wonder. I have stayed in an inside cabin in the past and been in a verandah cabin, even a verandah on the Wonder seems small for her. Are the cabins on the Dream larger? Can't afford the Walt Suite, or whatever the equivalent is on the Dream and Fantasy.

Kim

Have you asked her how she feels about taking a cruise? My mom was claustrophobic as well, and had no interest in a cruise. She said she would feel "trapped" no matter how large the ship, and would probably have a panic attack before we reached the first port. She was OK in situations where she knew she could leave any time she wanted, but things like airplanes and ships were definitely not her thing. If you want the cruise to be a surprise, then try to broach the subject in casual conversation about cruises in general.

As far as cabin size, you can get those very easily on the Disney cruise website. Since you already have a frame of reference from your own cruise, it should be very simple to see if they have a cabin that would accommodate you. I know some of the family cabins (not suites) are almost twice the size of a standard inside cabin, so you might find something that will work. But I definitely wouldn't start planning without having some input regarding her comfort level as far a ships in general are concerned.

I would never surprise her with a cruise. I do think she would enjoy the relaxation of a cruise. She has a big birthday coming up and that is why I was thinking about it.

Kim

Our cabins on the dream were quite large and didn't have a veranda. We had 7 people an open stroller and a pack n play in one room at one point and you didn't notice.

The rooms are a cat 8a and are on deck 5, they are sideways rooms 5020, 5022, and 5520 and 5522 (5518 and 5018 are the same only they are the accesible rooms). Very spacious rooms.

I think a veranda room would be OK for her but she may have a problem navigating the halls, at least on the Magic and Wonder (I haven't been on the Dream yet). They are a little tight.

I am claustrophobic myself and I do not have an issue on cruise ships. Last year we cruised on the NCL Dawn in an obstructed view outside cabin with 4 in the room. NCL is known for their small rooms and let me tell you with 4 in the room it was wall to wall beds. When I walked in I thought that there was no way I could sleep in there, and I figured I would be walking the halls all night. Well I had packed a small clip on fan which I had blowing on me and I was fine, no problems at all.

OP, if you can manage it, may I suggest you get a cabin with a verandah? Really opens up the space in a cabin!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter