I-Phone 5 an oldie -Can it handle the WDW App for FP+ and ADR's ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
Oldie but goody I-Phone 5
Still works - can hold a charge

But we go to WDW in 2020.
Do I need a new phone to be able o down load the WDW MDX app to make FP+, see wait times for rides and make ADR's ?
If I need a new phone, which I-phone from Verizon is best ?
I have heard some later models 6=7=8=9=10 may have issues.

Thank you for your advice

Last edited:
From the website it says

Seller Disney Electronic Content, Inc.
Size 273.2 MB
Category Travel
Compatibility
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Languages
English
Age Rating Rated 4+
Copyright © 2015 Disney
Price Free

So do I need what I-phone - what is an iOS 11.0 ?

From the website it says

Seller Disney Electronic Content, Inc.
Size 273.2 MB
Category Travel
Compatibility
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Languages
English
Age Rating Rated 4+
Copyright © 2015 Disney
Price Free

So do I need what I-phone - what is an iOS 11.0 ?

That is the operating system of your phone. Go to Settings and General and About and it will tell you which iOS version you have.

iOS is the operating system on the phone. iPhone 5 is not compatible with it. The app might still work, just badly.

But even if it was - the app is a huge battery drain. My iPhone 6 had its battery replaced in the winter, and it struggled on our last trip.

If you get a new one, you may want to visit a store during a quiet time, and ask them to help you with the pros and cons.

Do I need a new phone to be able o down load the WDW MDX app to make FP+, see wait times for rides and make ADR's ?

My 5 S has loads of issues with the Disney app. Hopefully you will have better luck.

My iPhone 5S works just fine for FPs and ADRs etc. (barring regular Disney app glitches 🙄)

iOS refers to your iphones Operating System. I just updated it to iOS 12.4 this morning.

If you go into your settings icon, click on general and then About. Software Version will tell you what you’re currently operating at.

ETA: I rely solely on Disney wifi as I’m an international visitor so when I say “just fine” take that with a grain of salt. Using the app is time consuming for me because of a combination of the wifi network and actual phone. It’s my normal, unfortunately. For the most part I use the website - I just put a shortcut on my home screen.

Last edited:
If you aren't going till 2020, I'd say invest in a new phone before then. There have been many updates to the iPhone and the MDE app that by then it will struggle to keep up. Right now it will be a struggle.
I had an iPhone 5c up till last year and I could use the app, but found it drained the battery very fast and some things just were a struggle to use, even using the wi-fi.
Yes, the app will download.... but you will most likely have issues.

I have an 8 which works great there. my daughter just got the newest 10 and we head to WDW in Sept .... so we will see how much different her 10 is to my 8.

My suggestion..... Get a new phone!

You don't need the app. Just use a browser and go to My Disney Experience through the Disney website, just like you would on a desktop. Works just fine on my DD's older iphone 6.

p.s. - when the parks are busy we turn off the wifi and use data. That seems to speed up any lags.

I can tell you first hand, I had a 5 until March when I finally got an 10. When the 5 you can download the app but it crashes or won’t open 75% of the time. With a 10 it works with no problems. It might work well with an 8 which is less expensive but I’ve never used one so I don’t know for sure.

I agree w previous post about using the browser. But with that said, old phone electronics really struggle with current web and app content. Even with a new battery, the battery drain is a real problem. I put off forever upgrading to a new phone but after years of frustration I finally bit the bullet and got a 10r. Holy cow, the battery life alone on this thing is worth the switch. And it really is much faster processing. Of course, you can still get along with the old phone. But I will say the upgrade after a long wait is not some tiny, incremental improvement like those who change every year experience. It will be MUCH better.

I agree w previous post about using the browser. But with that said, old phone electronics really struggle with current web and app content. Even with a new battery, the battery drain is a real problem. I put off forever upgrading to a new phone but after years of frustration I finally bit the bullet and got a 10r. Holy cow, the battery life alone on this thing is worth the switch. And it really is much faster processing. Of course, you can still get along with the old phone. But I will say the upgrade after a long wait is not some tiny, incremental improvement like those who change every year experience. It will be MUCH better.
Now that you mention it, I did get a new battery for my DD's iphone 6 in December. I think it was around $50 because I did it at the Apple Store. It improved battery life tremendously. Before the new battery, it would get drained within a day.

For those you that rely strictly on the WiFi….switch your phone to airplane mode and it will use a lot less battery.

As far as getting a new phone get the biggest and best upgrade that you can afford. It will last you a lot longer and perform better.

If you decide to upgrade your phone, I wouldn't buy one that is too many models old. iOS 13 (new version of the operating system) is coming out in a couple of months and the oldest phone it will work on is the 6S. The 6 and below won't be getting updates. Probably next year, when IOS 14 comes out, more older models will be eliminated from being supported. So if you want to get a phone that will last many years, I suggest you get at least the iPhone 8.

I would base your decision on what your phone needs are on a daily basis, not just what you need for vacation. I used an iPhone 4 up until last year when I got a hand me down 6s. In my daily life, my mobile is just for emergencies, so not having the latest and greatest is not a problem. I prefer to keep my iPad hardware more up to date than my phone because I use it daily at work and home.

I agree with those people who suggested using a browser to access the website as opposed to the app. There are some things I prefer on the app and some I prefer on the web. I have the up to date app on the iPad and phone, but prefer the browser for FP and ADRs. It seems like I get more options on the screen at one time than I do with the app. But the app is invaluable for things like checking bus times at the resort.

I have an Xs, my daughter a 7s. Huge difference in the parks. MDE on the Xs rarely (if ever) crashed and was very fast with plenty of battery life.

I had an iPhone 5, then upgraded to a 5s (I have the hands of an 8 yr old child and larger phone are not comfortable.) Both worked fine in the parks for me with my normal use. I do not use the play app, check social media or email while in the park. I modify FP times, I refresh, I check wait times and mobile order food. The only push notifications I have enabled are from Disney and dark sky while I'm there. The lowest my battery dropped was 20%. The app would occasionally crash, no more twice a day for me. My DH has an iPhone 8 and had more issues with crashing and battery life than I did, but he uses his phone differently than I do--way more alerts and notifications.

I have the 5S and no issues as of yet during any other visits, yearly. We will be there in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed.

My 5C can't run the app. I love the color and the size so I have put off replacing it, but I think its time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter