I need expert help please!

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
My son is stationed in Germany but will be home for Christmas. He will be deploying to Afghanastan in March. He asked when he came home could we go to Disney. He has not been in 10 years but our other 3 boys have been 4 times in the last 2. My DH is completly Disney'd out and does not want to go at all!
I'm having a hard time saying no as I think it is something we should do for him.
The biggest factor of course is money. The other boys are willing to forgo any presents at Christmas if we go to Disney instead.
Tickets are pretty much the same price across the board so aside from a few bucks here and there. We normally stay onsite but we would be a family of 6. At Shades of Greens we would need 2 rooms so thats not too much of a savings there. I looked into a couple places off-site places that may hold 6 and got some OK results.

I really need help here. I have got to figure out a way to do this as cheap as possible and then show the results to my DH. Of course I also want it to be as magical as possible. Food is always the killer for us!

Can you wonderful budget minded people help.......

Our tentative dates would be the 23rd -29th or the 19th-26th. Thanks!!!!

I would rethink this if your DH doesn't want to go. Disney at Christmas can be unbearable if you don't REALLY want to be there. I know you want to do something wonderful for your son, but Disney may not be the way to go. Some quiet family time may be better for all of you so that you can reconnect and he can decompress.

If you still want to go, I would look into renting a house although at that time of year, prices are going to be higher. Check out www.mouseavers.com for savings tips. Good luck.

How about 1 AP, then getting 2 rooms at the All-Stars with a best rate code. (didnt someone say they got a good deal around Christmas), then getting the DDE to save on food, i imagine with 6 people (4 boys), you would save a lot on food costs!

sanibelover said:
I would rethink this if your DH doesn't want to go. Disney at Christmas can be unbearable if you don't REALLY want to be there. I know you want to do something wonderful for your son, but Disney may not be the way to go. Some quiet family time may be better for all of you so that you can reconnect and he can decompress.

I understand what you are saying but this is what my son really wants to do. The way I look at it is if my son wants to go to Disney with his family before going off to war than I think we should take him. We have taken his brothers many times in the last few years so I think its only fair.
My Dh isn't thrilled about going because of the costs. Plus we were just there over July 4th weekend so crowds are not the issue.

I will look into houses too. It just seems everytime we go its some major holiday and we are paying top dollar! LOL

tazleiten12 said:
How about 1 AP, then getting 2 rooms at the All-Stars with a best rate code. (didnt someone say they got a good deal around Christmas), then getting the DDE to save on food, i imagine with 6 people (4 boys), you would save a lot on food costs!

Good idea but I'd be a little scared to shell out an additional $200. or so for the AP if the discount wasn't very good or if they even issue one.
I can't check either until I buy one so I'm reserved on that.
If it works out to be a good discount, then it would be worth it.

if i'm not mistaken, the swan and dolphin hotels also offer discounts for military personnel-i think the ad is on the DIS main page and it's 129 per night. just for the record, i totally agree with you, if my baby were going off to war in 3 months and all he wanted was a trip to disney world, i'd make it happen if i had to sell a kidney.

Donya
*so excited about my 4th trip to WDW in september!* :Pinkbounc

I agree - if your son is going to war and wants to go to Disney then Disney it is!
I am not sure when he is coming home, but there was just a thread on the resorts board I believe (title was something about mom's discount club rate or such) and a company called magical memories had booked many rooms at a group rate in December and rooms at All Stars were about $59!

I agree with a lot of the others here. If your son wants to go to WDW, then by all means you should take him! But do you HAVE to be there for CHRISTMAS DAY in particular? What about going the first week of December, which is still VALUE SEASON and you can get great rates at the hotels? All of the Christmas magic will still be present at the World. And MVMCP is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a great off site resort that will hold 6-8 people, depending on the villa type and the rates are pretty good. Let me know if you are interested! :wave2:

If price is the issue I would consider staying offsite, renting a car and cutting the trip to 4 or 5 days instead of a week. That will lower all your housing and food costs for the trip. I recently got the Orlando Magiccard and it came with a brochure. There were some properties that I have never heard of on the Dis, but you could get a small cabin type hotel with kitchen for around $59 a night. I believe it slept 6. PM me if you want the info and I will locate my book for some suggestions.

We stayed offsite in January and I would definately do it again for a budget trip. No hassles at all and I really enjoyed driving ourselves to the parks.

Good luck! I would definately try to go if at all possible.

In Luv with Disney said:
I agree with a lot of the others here. If your son wants to go to WDW, then by all means you should take him! But do you HAVE to be there for CHRISTMAS DAY in particular? What about going the first week of December, which is still VALUE SEASON and you can get great rates at the hotels? All of the Christmas magic will still be present at the World. And MVMCP is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a great off site resort that will hold 6-8 people, depending on the villa type and the rates are pretty good. Let me know if you are interested! :wave2:

My son will be home on leave from the 17th to Jan 3rd, so we can't be flexible on dtaes. Plus we would be driving down so we have to take that into account. We don't really have to be there on Chritmas but I also don't want to be driving home on Christmas day. So many things to consider! LOL

Any properties you can offer for me to look at would be greatly appreciated!

check out renting DVC points, perhaps if you post your story over there someone would be willing to help you, look at the DVC rent/trade board!

Over on the Orlando Hotels Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15), lots of folks highly recommend Cypress Pointe, which is a timeshare you can rent. You could rent a two-bedroom (sleeps 6) at Cypress Pointe or Cypress Pointe Grand Villas for $93.22 per night (not incl. tax, resort fees, or maid service) on http://www.hotelkingdom.com or get a three-bedroom for $135.70 per night.

If you rent a facility that has a kitchen, you could save money by cooking breakfast and/or dinner at your resort.

Check out http://www.ticketmania.com for discounted park tix.

Enjoy your trip!

kdtwiss said:
check out renting DVC points, perhaps if you post your story over there someone would be willing to help you, look at the DVC rent/trade board!
Unfortunately, Christmas week is a high point time so if the original poster is looking to save money, renting DVC points may not be the way to go for these dates.

Try calling the Swan directly for any discounts there. I think the high season is going to be high, but I think talking directly to someone is going to be your best bet. On the internet, no gov't discount shows up, but if you call directly, the exist for November (haven't tried Dec). Be certain to check in before Dec 20th if you are staying on property.

Best wishes for for son's safe return!

You may want to see about rates for a 3 or 4 day Disney Cruise.. They also offer discounts for Military personnel. Sometimes with the cost of food and everything a cruise could be more cost effective.. but you don't get the rides?!

If you go to the park staying off grounds is usually best.. Search the web for rates, in Orlando you can always get a great deal. There are some that give you nights free with a 2-3 night stay..

You can bring drinks in a soft sided cooler.. I am not sure about food?? But if you can then you can bring sandwiches in your cooler and snacks too. Disney also sells the meal vouchers too.. Search EBAY for tickets and meal vouchers.. There is always a bunch of passes for sale.. and using PayPal you are basically insured on your purchase now.

Whatever you do let whoever you get rates from know you are a military family.. Many places will give you a discount.. and a well deserved one at that!!

I wish you all the best of luck in getting your trip to come to life!! Tell your husband that it is worth it.. We all say so, and this many people can't be wrong!!

Since your son is Military he can get a timeshare at a variety of different timeshares through the Armed Forces Vacation Club. There are many to choose from right in Kissimmee. I believe it is $264 for a week( usually Sat- Sat) ANd you DO NOT have to go and listen to any presentations if you don't want to. Hope this helps some. My husband and I did this for our trip in 2003 when he came back from over seas. You can get a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom condo from some. And it has a kitchen, livingroom and washer and dryer. :)

If you don't have to go for Christmas-and you can forgo the week before and after, you'll save a bunch. You may be able to get a bigger room cheaper if you rent points from one of us DVC members. You could get a 2 bedroom in January or the first 2 weeks of Dec. at the least expensive time to go for vacation club members. Its $9.50-$10.00 a point you would find out the points you need after deciding on a time frame. You stay at any of the DVC resorts in WDW (like Old Key West, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, etc.) Let me know if you need more info. Enjoy the trip and make some memories!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter