I love Flight of Passage, will I like Cosmic Rewind?

DutchJoyce

Earning My Ears
Hi all, going to WDW in a few days. Been several times before, but never done Cosmic Rewind. My kid really wants to do this ride together, but I am not sure after reading all the reviews. Having in mind that Flight of Passage is one of my favourite rides, can you compare them? We have tickets for Epcot After Hours, so we can do the ride...

I think the rides are very different. The experience isn't close to the same. Guardians is a unique coaster. I've jokingly called it a combination of Expedition Everest and the Tea Cups at the Magic Kingdom! That's not completely accurate, of course, but it's not far off. One thing I can tell you with regard to my family. My spouse loves FOP and will do it as often as possible. She did GOTG once, and it'll be a very long time before she does it again, as it made her feel a little sick for awhile after. I've done GOTG on my own a number of times since then, mostly because I think it's a lot of fun and I have not had the same reaction she did. Your reaction to GOTG may vary! But there's only one way for you to know if you like it........!!

Agree with above that they’re hard to compare. Thinking purely of intensity, on the Disney scale, if Flight is a 7.5/10, Guardians is probably a 9/10.

But it’s still the Disney scale.

I’m a chicken with rides and I enjoyed Guardians. I did have a couple of moments where I needed to just keep my head down and grit my teeth, but other parts where I cheered alongside my kids and enjoyed looking around at the action.

I love the concept of Guardians but as I get older, I've become more sensitive to motion sickness. That part I do not love! But FoP and Guardians are VERY different rides.

Agree with above that they’re hard to compare. Thinking purely of intensity, on the Disney scale, if Flight is a 7.5/10, Guardians is probably a 9/10.
I'd move both of those down a bit (maybe a 6 for Flight of Passage and 7.5 for Guardians?) because Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror are more than 1 point worse than Guardians.

I put Guardians on par with Expedition Everest on an intensity scale personally. They are different rides though with different sensations so people may have a bit of a different opinion.

OP, do you struggle with motion sickness?

If not, I 100% recommend GotG. Until it opened I didn’t have a ‘favourite’ Disney ride. Now I do for sure!! Absolutely love this ride!!

If you struggle with motion sickness, it’s still possible to ride, I would just recommend reading some of the motion sickness tips and tricks.

If you enjoy FoP and you enjoy coasters, I’d highly recommend trying GotG!

Can’t compare but both are great.

Although FOP has taken a step down the past year as the screen is no where near as crisp as it use to be.

Heard it might be the glasses also but I felt like I was on a different ride the year it opened

I went last week and rode both multiple times. Those are my two absolute favorite rides! As everyone said, they are not the same at all, but I do get a similar feeling (gliding/flying) on both that I really like. Give Guardians a try - it's awesome!

As others have said here they are entirely different, there is no comparison.
Flight of Passage has very little actual motion - it's all cleverly simulated with the use of 3D and tilting hydraulic platforms. It's closer to Soarin than it is to Guardians.

Guardians is a dark ride roller coaster that launches you backwards in the ride car from 0 to almost 60mph in seconds. It spins/spirals around the tracks at 60mph for basically the entire time (around 3 minutes). It's like space mountain in terms of theming (space, dark) but is much more intense. If you like roller coasters then you will probably love it. It has stunning visual effects and an amazing soundtrack (one of 6 random songs). If you get motion sickness or vertigo easily - you might want to bring a barf bag. It is similar to Expedition Everest in terms of intensity/thrill.

That being said - they are both in my top 5 favorite rides at WDW so I hope you will give GotGCW a try and let us know what you think.

I love Avatar Flight of Passage and don't get motion sickness, but I got very ill on Guardians of the Galaxy.
Same with me, and I had never experienced motion sickness on a ride before this. I won't ride it again. With that said, it would have been an awesome ride otherwise. You really can't compare the two, as they are very different.

I love Avatar Flight of Passage and don't get motion sickness, but I got very ill on Guardians of the Galaxy.
Same with me, and I had never experienced motion sickness on a ride before this. I won't ride it again. With that said, it would have been an awesome ride otherwise. You really can't compare the two, as they are very different.
I had exactly the same experience with Guardians. I even tried it twice, just to make sure. I think the answer to the OP is whether you are sensitive to spinning. I am a huge fan of roller coasters, but the addition of the spinning takes me right to the edge of nausea. Otherwise, it's a fantastic ride.

As others have said here they are entirely different, there is no comparison.
Flight of Passage has very little actual motion - it's all cleverly simulated with the use of 3D and tilting hydraulic platforms. It's closer to Soarin than it is to Guardians.

Guardians is a dark ride roller coaster that launches you backwards in the ride car from 0 to almost 60mph in seconds. It spins/spirals around the tracks at 60mph for basically the entire time (around 3 minutes). It's like space mountain in terms of theming (space, dark) but is much more intense. If you like roller coasters then you will probably love it. It has stunning visual effects and an amazing soundtrack (one of 6 random songs). If you get motion sickness or vertigo easily - you might want to bring a barf bag. It is similar to Expedition Everest in terms of intensity/thrill.

That being said - they are both in my top 5 favorite rides at WDW so I hope you will give GotGCW a try and let us know what you think.
I am not a roller coaster person -- and particularly don't like drops -- should I give Guardians a try? I am not prone to motion sickness, so I'm not concerned from that angle.

I am not a roller coaster person -- and particularly don't like drops -- should I give Guardians a try? I am not prone to motion sickness, so I'm not concerned from that angle.
If you're not a coaster person, maybe this would be a skip for you. It's definitely a fast-moving indoor coaster. Would you do Rock n Roller Coaster or any of the other Disney coasters? If not, there's probably no reason to try GOTG.

For what it’s worth, i’m someone who gets motion sickness on Star Tours and Teacups, and finds Remy very unpleasant. No motion issues for me on FoP on multiple rides, but it hit my wife hard and ruined her next few hours.

I did Guardians for the first time on Sunday and loved it - no issues at all for me.

They've both amazing rides but very different. Star Tours and Tower of Terror make me motion sick but Guardians generally doesn't (although we were in the back row last year and I felt a little funny right after getting off). It's a coaster but not in a big six flags coaster kind of way- more in a sensory overload immersive kind of way. I definitely recommend to take some motion sickness meds prior to riding if you are worried about it but it's amazing (my whole family loves it!).

My kids won't even ride Barnstormer but they love FOP. They are a completely different type of ride. I didn't even suggest Guardians to them. It's fast and spinny and definitely a thrill ride that leaves some people feeling quite ill. If I were you, I'd watch one of the POV videos of Guardians on YouTube to get a sense of what it's like.

I describe FOP as Soarin on steroids and GotG as Space Mountain on steroids. Very different rides. DH has problems with vertigo and couldn’t handle FOP but loved GotG (but says he won’t ride again). FOP is a nice ride but GotG is awesome! It’s a new generation of roller coaster. Not to be missed! I have ridden FOP three times and that’s enough. I will ride if there is not a long wait but it’s not so great that I’m going out of my way to ride. I would sell my first born to ride GotG (just kidding). It’s that good.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter