I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Can you make an appointment and get yours? Maybe when you go in person they can see why his application is being held up if you can’t reach anyone by phone. My husband is self employed and I work for him as the manager. We never got any inquiry regarding employment status when we applied together. We did our appointment on the way back from Germany to Houston on New Years Day. We went to a special line on arrival (not the global entry line).
This is a stellar idea! I'm embarrassed I hadn't thought of it!

Interesting about the employer verification. I just presumed that was it (I worked for a very large corp so figured that might be the difference). I'm wondering what his hold up could be. We've both led unremarkable lives!

I'll start looking for the interviews again! It wasn't until I grabbed an interview slot and then we logged in as him for him to grab one that we realized he wasn't at the same status as me!

Thanks!

This is a stellar idea! I'm embarrassed I hadn't thought of it!

Interesting about the employer verification. I just presumed that was it (I worked for a very large corp so figured that might be the difference). I'm wondering what his hold up could be. We've both led unremarkable lives!

I'll start looking for the interviews again! It wasn't until I grabbed an interview slot and then we logged in as him for him to grab one that we realized he wasn't at the same status as me!

Thanks!
I think it is just random... My Brother and SIL applied on same day. Brother was conditionally approved right away. Been like 9 months now and SIL still not approved. Very frustrating... She has tried calling and emailing. They just tell her they are behind...

All of this talk about needing extended time for international connections is making me nervous about my 2 hour connection time in Amsterdam. I’m arriving from Houston and going on to Frankfurt arriving next Monday April 3. I had a nonstop from IAH to FRA but I’m concerned about the airport and train strikes in Germany. Plus I wanted a lie flat seat on the overseas leg. So glad I made the change on Saturday because the points have more than doubled for the same flight. I can change to a later flight if I need to from AMS to FRA. Any frequent travelers who have connected thru AMS? Would love some input.

Last edited:
I visited my first Buc-ees two weeks ago. Wow wow wow. I wish I would have been hungrier when we were there. I did get a few treats :-) and a tiny stuffed Buc-cee on a keychain. He's staring at my right now, I love him.
Welcome to the Buc-ees fan club, LOL. We have had to stop everytime we pass them in Florida for the past year and a half, and we have one now 40 min away from us in SC! I am the proud owner of a Buc-ee's tshirt now, haha. I love their warm pecans, and their jerky is delicious! We never leave without spending under $20 inside. It's an experience that's for sure!
so i looked to renew passport online doesnt seem to be an option best case is to do the automated form go get photos and send it in expeidted?
Online renewals were paused earlier in March. Only option for renewals is by mail.

Welcome to the Buc-ees fan club, LOL. We have had to stop everytime we pass them in Florida for the past year and a half, and we have one now 40 min away from us in SC! I am the proud owner of a Buc-ee's tshirt now, haha. I love their warm pecans, and their jerky is delicious! We never leave without spending under $20 inside. It's an experience that's for sure!

Online renewals were paused earlier in March. Only option for renewals is by mail.
We are getting one near us in Richmond, VA. The one in Florence is impressive, but not for me! The fuel tanks were packed. There was no parking anywhere near the store (and it was pouring). And once I walked in the store I felt anxious because of the amount of people and the number of choices. I absolutely get why people love it. And I will say the bathroom was fantastic.

We are getting one near us in Richmond, VA. The one in Florence is impressive, but not for me! The fuel tanks were packed. There was no parking anywhere near the store (and it was pouring). And once I walked in the store I felt anxious because of the amount of people and the number of choices. I absolutely get why people love it. And I will say the bathroom was fantastic.
I agree. It's definitely not a quick stop but the bathroom is fantastic! I saw the line and was disheartened but boy did they move quickly! A worker inside was announcing open stalls lol.

I agree. It's definitely not a quick stop but the bathroom is fantastic! I saw the line and was disheartened but boy did they move quickly! A worker inside was announcing open stalls lol.
I will say, the one in Florence is not as great as the two in Florida - in Daytona and St. Augustine - in my opinion. I don't think the space is large enough. But yes, their bathrooms are great. I also like Buc-ee's as just a pit/rest stop. We've stopped numerous times with our dogs... I love that they have a large pet relief area, with poop bags. And sometimes it's just nice to get out and stretch your legs and walk around during a long road trip.

My Amex gold card will hit the 1 year mark on April 2. When can I ask for a retention offer? Do I call? Not sure if I want to keep it because of the $200 AF. I don’t take frequent Ubers and I always forget to stop by the Cheesecake Factory for the monthly $10 gift card.

Amex Biz Plat retention offer DP: $10K spend in 3 months for 40K MRs. Yikes. I actually would like to keep the card open another year, but not going to take it with a spend that high! Only other offer was a $100 statement credit. I still have time and will check again in a week or so.

That's the most common offer these days. Have also seen 35k for $5000 and 70k for $5000 (!), but those seem very rare. Good luck on your next attempt!

My Amex gold card will hit the 1 year mark on April 2. When can I ask for a retention offer? Do I call? Not sure if I want to keep it because of the $200 AF. I don’t take frequent Ubers and I always forget to stop by the Cheesecake Factory for the monthly $10 gift card.

You can chat, the earlier the better since usually you can't get another retention until 13 months later. There are DPs of 30k for $3000 spend, 20k for $2000, and 15k for $2000. You can think about which (if any) you would take. AF is $250.

What do I need to know about cell phone use/coverage when traveling in Europe?

This is a question that is dependent on your carrier.

I know AT&T has a $10 a day plan that will use whatever your home plan is (ie unlimited minutes/Data). One option would be if you have multiple people then you can have one use normal cell and the remainder use the hotspot off the first.

This is a question that is dependent on your carrier.

I know AT&T has a $10 a day plan that will use whatever your home plan is (ie unlimited minutes/Data). One option would be if you have multiple people then you can have one use normal cell and the remainder use the hotspot off the first.
We have T-mobile. I read about it on their site but I can't say I clearly understand it

We have T-mobile. I read about it on their site but I can't say I clearly understand it
If you have a Magenta Max plan, you get 5GB free high speed data and unlimited texting internationally. After using 5GB, it gets throttled down to 256kb. We've used our Tmobile plan in Ecuador, Mexico, Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, and Canada without paying a cent more. We're planning to use it in Japan when we go soon too.

What do I need to know about cell phone use/coverage when traveling in Europe?

We have a long trip this summer to several countries in Europe. Looking at the Airalo eSIM - 10 GB, 30 days, $37.

In the past, we've bought SIM cards locally that were inexpensive as well.

If you have a Magenta Max plan, you get 5GB free high speed data and unlimited texting internationally. After using 5GB, it gets throttled down to 256kb. We've used our Tmobile plan in Ecuador, Mexico, Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, and Canada without paying a cent more. We're planning to use it in Japan when we go soon too.
My plan (not a Magenta plan) says unlimited text/data up to 256Kbps and 25 cents per minute for calls. I don't understand wht 256kbps means but it didn't sound great and it probably isn't based on what you are getting on Magenta LOL. thanks!
We have a long trip this summer to several countries in Europe. Looking at the Airalo eSIM - 10 GB, 30 days, $37.

In the past, we've bought SIM cards locally that were inexpensive as well.
I will look into this. thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter