I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a really hard time finding sitters for my dog for the upcoming busy holiday season, and have spent hours on Rover going through various profiles since he's not an easy dog to find the right sitter for. He doesn't get along with all dogs, will adjust to cats but it takes a mellow cat and at least a day before he stops barking at it, be carried up and down flights of stairs (he had emergency back surgery two years ago when he became paralyzed - fortunately I had just received the Amex Plat and I exceeded that MSR within a day), and has food allergies so he shouldn't eat another dog's food. The Rover sitter that I used just a couple weeks ago raised her daily rate from $40 to $65 after he stayed with her. :oops: Most of the sitters within 20 minutes of me seem to charge $50-$55/day on average, although I've seen some at $150/day.o_O

So to me, having your DS watch your dogs seems like a blessing.:-)
We have 2 dogs and a cat and it's always my job to try and find a sitter for them. I used to have a friend that would house sit with them and I paid her $35 a day to do so. I realize now how spoiled I, and the dos, were with this arrangement. I am now up to $50 a day and at times am desperate to find someone. I feel like ours is a fairly easy job, just feed them and let them out to do their business in the backyard twice a day. No need for walks or anything time consuming and it's still hard to find someone. I wouldn't want the dogs to go over to someone else's house because the older one can be kinda unpredictable around other dogs.
I had my new reading glasses for three weeks before I lost them. This is not good!

I hear you. I have an almost 16 year old who has to be carried up and down stairs and a high energy 1.5 year old. So I've scoured Rover and really don't want someone with a dog watching them unless it's small and older. Then there is the sleeping arrangements. The younger dog sleeps with me. My son swore she wasn't sleeping in his bed but where do you think she slept? And putting them in someone else's house is stressful. Then feeding (half Farmer's dog, half kibble) and meds gets involved.

And OMG on the rates. I had some pretty reasonable options ($50/day for both dogs).

I won't say I won't be stressed while I'm gone (mainly because the older one sometimes wakes me up at night to go out by panting and he'll sleep through that and the younger one won't go out on her own and he's impatient), but hopefully I'll come home to two dogs and a 17-year old who knows he's about to get a PS5 partly because he did something responsible for once in his life!
I consider it a job well done if mine are fed and alive when I get home. I say that somewhat jokingly because I know no one will do our exact routine like we do. I do wish we had family nearby that could make it easier. I'd bribe them however I could to take care of them. I try to find college kids who enjoy a break from the dorm/home but that can present its own challenges with them having access to an empty house.
The one near me allow the dogs to just play all together in a large play space; the last time he was there he got written up for not playing nicely with the other dogs (he's a terrierX). In addition to his back surgery and my desire to not experience a repeat, I just don't want him around a large number of dogs especially big dogs in case they decide to play roughly. So Rover is the best option for him, preferably with someone who doesn't have other pets, who only takes one dog client, and who has no stairs - it's hard to find. (I seriously look through every photo posted on their profile to see what the background environment looks like.) Anyways, I see a possible side hustle in the future!

But it has its downfalls. The first one I booked for a couple weeks ago canceled last minute on me due to a "family emergency." I reached out to a previous sitter who was no longer on Rover and she agreed to watch him. But then the next day she canceled last minute due to a "family emergency." Then I found a Rover sitter who would take him last minute (day of departure, I was past the refundable deadline for my hotel), and after his stay with her she raised her rates from $40 to $65. After searching last week, I finally reached out to a couple sitters who showed up on my Rover search that seemed like possibilities. One canceled our meet and greet because her smallish dog had been attacked at the dog park. The other seems professional and nice, so I've booked several stays with her to the tune of almost $900 in the next couple of months.

My DH and DD guilted me into getting a dog when DD was in 5th grade ("Every kid should grow up with a dog!" they said). I've had dogs and/or cats non-stop for 30 years now, I've always been the primary one who loves on them and arranges everything for them. I'm tired. I want to sleep in on weekends. I want to travel on a whim. He's going to be our last dog. I'm sure I'll miss having him around but it is a lot of responsibility.
I've told my kids, not another living thing is coming in this house - human or animal. I am over having to take care of animals. I want to sleep in on the weekends too. I don't want to coordinate the vet appointment and medication. I love the dogs and cat we have now but I'm ready for more flexibility in my life.

Please tell me you snagged that first class JAL fare for just 43k points OW (LAX-Tokyo). I thought of you when I saw the Thrifty Traveler alert.

Nope. 1 didn't know it was there and 2 I live in Seattle I'm not positioning for a trip to Asia :) That would just add stress and cost to make it not worth it. I'll stick with our biz and no 1st on jal and ana. Just hope I can get the return, the outbound on dl is crazy miles but I know they tend to be high 1 way vs rt.

Nope. 1 didn't know it was there and 2 I live in Seattle I'm not positioning for a trip to Asia :) That would just add stress and cost to make it not worth it. I'll stick with our biz and no 1st on jal and ana. Just hope I can get the return, the outbound on dl is crazy miles but I know they tend to be high 1 way vs rt.
Sorry, that was directed @reliev . Coincidentally, I was relieved (see what I did there?) to see you got rebooked. It's been a shame you've had to reschedule, especially so close to the confirmed reopening.

I've told my kids, not another living thing is coming in this house - human or animal. I am over having to take care of animals. I want to sleep in on the weekends too. I don't want to coordinate the vet appointment and medication. I love the dogs and cat we have now but I'm ready for more flexibility in my life.

I have thought about this and I am not sure what DH and I will do. Hopefully we have another ten years before it's an issue, but as empty nesters we spend a *lot* of time interacting with and talking about the cats--they really have become our surrogate children.

Just got a push notification from Barclays that I earned my reward. Now to find out when thr statement cuts and how long til I get them. Good to know all this can be done before you get the card if you already have a Barclays card so you can add it to mobile pay.

Their app also annoys me. The fingerprint access shut off when my print didn't read, I know better than to try doing it right after a shower or doing dishes. I keep turning it back on and it doesn't stick and it's really annoying.

I'll need to go back and read the last week, but my dad passed away Sunday morning. Last week my mom held down the fort while I went to NOLA for school. My sister came in to "give me the weekend off". On Weds he was transferred from the hospital to the SNF. I went to see him on Saturday morning. We chatted a little but he slept for most of it. I left around 1pm. My sister held down the fort the rest of the day. At 1:50 am I got the call he had passed. It sounds like it was peaceful and he decided it was time.

The "good news" is since he gave up his fight so "soon", everything he had was able to remain protected. He was able to leave us what he had managed to put in place for us. I'm honestly shocked at what I will be getting (and my sister isn't happy he split it 70/30).

And to keep this relevant....while sitting at the funeral home, I asked the director if they can take the number for a credit card. He said yes, and while we sat there planning I opened the Amex Gold Biz that I had a "preapproval" email for. Probably not the best option out there, but I thought I'd give it a try since I've been in Amex pop-up hell, and I knew I'd hit the spend immediately. The director laughed as I did it. But FYI, the transaction was declined as apparently it wasn't an "approved use" of the temp number. Luckily they are okay with me paying later today when my card arrives.

Thanks! Stopped by Best Buy this morning and will stop at Home Depot this evening. I was surprised that the gift card rack at Best Buy had spaces for Amazon gift cards (I would have thought they wouldn't carry them) but unfortunately all of the spaces were empty. Fortunately there were a few Disney GCs.

I might also stop at CVS but the max is $5 so it might depend on how crowded it is.
You can do self check out (if store has it) on the Disney Gift Cards at CVS. I notice a lot of people avoiding self check out there and I can usually go right to it.

Sort of. I think many of us sign up initially for the sign up bonuses. Usually I'll carry that card until I've met the terms of the sign up bonus. Then it's up to the card whether it gets carried. Chase tries hard with quarterly offers in addition to offers described below. Right now I have a Disney card with 10X at gas stations. It's definitely worth it to carry that card for the next 3 months. Disney Dollars can be used to pay my DVC dues as well as Disney gift cards.

Thanks. How do you know about offers? Do you have to check?
Yes, you do have to look at your account.

Often someone on here will post that an offer is available and we get a heads up. In my case, my latest offers showed a couple of days after some of our community got theirs.

I'll need to go back and read the last week, but my dad passed away Sunday morning. Last week my mom held down the fort while I went to NOLA for school. My sister came in to "give me the weekend off". On Weds he was transferred from the hospital to the SNF. I went to see him on Saturday morning. We chatted a little but he slept for most of it. I left around 1pm. My sister held down the fort the rest of the day. At 1:50 am I got the call he had passed. It sounds like it was peaceful and he decided it was time.

The "good news" is since he gave up his fight so "soon", everything he had was able to remain protected. He was able to leave us what he had managed to put in place for us. I'm honestly shocked at what I will be getting (and my sister isn't happy he split it 70/30).

And to keep this relevant....while sitting at the funeral home, I asked the director if they can take the number for a credit card. He said yes, and while we sat there planning I opened the Amex Gold Biz that I had a "preapproval" email for. Probably not the best option out there, but I thought I'd give it a try since I've been in Amex pop-up hell, and I knew I'd hit the spend immediately. The director laughed as I did it. But FYI, the transaction was declined as apparently it wasn't an "approved use" of the temp number. Luckily they are okay with me paying later today when my card arrives.
Sorry to hear you have lost your father. It's sad to hear.

I once opened the Amex Gold while waiting for AAA to change my battery. Small charge of about $150 but I got the number and started the MSR.

So sorry for the loss of your Dad

I'm sorry for your loss. You'll have an interesting mental association with the new biz gold card. I'm glad you got out of popup jail.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard.

Sorry for your loss. Nice way of finding a silver lining. Hoping you have less stressful days soon.

Sorry for your loss

The one near me allow the dogs to just play all together in a large play space; the last time he was there he got written up for not playing nicely with the other dogs (he's a terrierX). In addition to his back surgery and my desire to not experience a repeat, I just don't want him around a large number of dogs especially big dogs in case they decide to play roughly. So Rover is the best option for him, preferably with someone who doesn't have other pets, who only takes one dog client, and who has no stairs - it's hard to find. (I seriously look through every photo posted on their profile to see what the background environment looks like.) Anyways, I see a possible side hustle in the future!

But it has its downfalls. The first one I booked for a couple weeks ago canceled last minute on me due to a "family emergency." I reached out to a previous sitter who was no longer on Rover and she agreed to watch him. But then the next day she canceled last minute due to a "family emergency." Then I found a Rover sitter who would take him last minute (day of departure, I was past the refundable deadline for my hotel), and after his stay with her she raised her rates from $40 to $65. After searching last week, I finally reached out to a couple sitters who showed up on my Rover search that seemed like possibilities. One canceled our meet and greet because her smallish dog had been attacked at the dog park. The other seems professional and nice, so I've booked several stays with her to the tune of almost $900 in the next couple of months.

My DH and DD guilted me into getting a dog when DD was in 5th grade ("Every kid should grow up with a dog!" they said). I've had dogs and/or cats non-stop for 30 years now, I've always been the primary one who loves on them and arranges everything for them. I'm tired. I want to sleep in on weekends. I want to travel on a whim. He's going to be our last dog. I'm sure I'll miss having him around but it is a lot of responsibility
Maybe my dog is used to it I'm picking up a new one come November we looked in shelters everything was old so I ended up buying vs adopting don't mean to sound rude but my dog passing at 17 (its in one of these threads) came quick and sudden I didn't want to go through it again with an older dog. Hopefully, the new dog is good with being boarded. The place we go has a webcam we can login to the apartment they call it and the other dog we have just sleeps all day like she does now.
Please tell me you snagged that first class JAL fare for just 43k points OW (LAX-Tokyo). I thought of you when I saw the Thrifty Traveler alert.
I have 2 other trips planned then or else I would have lol (one was booked thanks to thrifty traveler) I was like nothing after march? Next time ill grab it! And I think a next time is soon thrifty traveler is great but also horrible deals so good I keep booking! Well worth even 100$ (hopefully the owner doesn't read this thread).

Last edited:

sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter