I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I read the 20 pages since last week (y'all were busy, LOL). Just wanted to chime in on this...

Speaking of the Chase Bonvoy Boundless, it seems like a very nice SUB - 5 Free Night Certs at 50,000 with the ability to add points if your hotel is >50,000 points. Do others agree?

I am seriously thinking of applying for this card. I do hold the Amex Bonvoy Biz but I received the SUB in 2018 so, if I read it right, I can keep the Amex Bonvoy Biz and still qualify.

We finally used my 4 Marriott FNC that I earned last time they did this promo. I thought it would be super easy to find a good redemption for these. I was wrong. Luckily w/ the ability to add onto the 50k, we did just use them at an all-inclusive in Cancun (2k/per night extra). I earned these back in Jan 2020 and couldn't find a decent redemption until the literal last minute. So I'd say look where you might use these before you jump on it. Of course if you don't care about the redemption "value" then there are lots of places/ways to use these. I'm spoiled by Hilton FNC where you can use anywhere w/ a standard room.

Okay now back to page 329, LOL.

Anyone find a RCCL Amex Offer (reported on the RCCL board)?

No luck for me, but found a NCL Amex Offer for $125 on $500 on an AU card I'm working on MSR for.

Also found a Carnival Chase offer last week, but it's only $40 on $100.

I have a family member who is looking for a new card and is deciding between the AmEx Gold and the Citi Premier. He has a Discover and a CSP, both opened more than two years ago. The AmEx Gold probably would be a keeper card (the GrubHub and Uber credits would get used, essentially covering the AF, and the SUB seems good now, especially if he can pull up the 100,000 that's listed on DOC). The Citi Premier might not be a keeper card (the $95 AF seems hard to justify given the card's benefits) but the 80,000 points (which as I understand it can be redeemed for $800) would make it worth the AF for one year.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

ETA: I seem to recall that an AmEx card could support any(?) other AmEx card? Does this still work? So for instance a support link from a Plat card could be used to apply for a Gold?

I really like my Gold. It's a keeper card for the 4x on dining and groceries. And yes, you can get one using a non-Gold Amex link.

We have a Hilton Honors Biz card that is coming up for renewal (AF) soon. I can't see any reason to keep this one (already have the Aspire), but I would like to know if anyone here can see a compelling reason to keep one of these? I see the FNC is at 15k spend (vs. 60k on the Aspire) but that's a lot of spend.
The only scenario I can imagine is if you know you have a big spend coming up that you put on it AND that you could combine the resulting FNC with your Aspire FNC (or points) for a weekend vacation (or a longer vacation using FNCs + points). For someone like me who can almost never find a good use for the FNCs, it wouldn't be a good idea but you might get a good staycation out of it.

Hi does anyone know offhand which airlines do not have expiring travel bank/miles?

I was surprised to see Delta doesn't (at least that is what the cust service rep said).

I'm talking you book a flight and for some reason or another you cancel it for the later credit.
Most have 1 year expiration date.
I think the csr meant skymiles don't expire-certs from a cancelled flight with cash definitely have an end date. I don't know of any airlines that don't put an expiration on an ecertificate.

Back (well been back a few days, but my 17yo decided to greet me by having COVID, lol) from Cancun. Flew down on Spirit. I cancelled my delta ticket I had on hold as we were boarding, LOL. BF asked at check-in if they had any big front seats, they told us no and gave us the exit row. The FA however moved us to the 2 empty big front seats. It's as "first class" as you can get on Spirit.

We booked the Hideaway Royalton using my Marriott FNCs from the last 5 FNC signup (back in 2020). On our last trip to Cancun in March we joked about pretending to be on our honeymoon for upgrades on any future trips. Since I have peasant status w/ Marriott we tried on this trip, LOL. I emailed the resort ahead of time, mentioned it would be our honeymoon and my BF's 40th (that part WAS true) and asked if they had any upgrades. Of course I took it one step further making us honeymoon themed yeti cups, and even got us fake rings. I made sure to tell my parents/sister about this plan, LOL. Which is a good thing because the photo I posted on my FB story about our upgraded seats, you can see the ring, and I was flooded (as was my mom) w/ messages about it, LOL. Sadly my effort got me nowhere :(

The resort was decent. I mean, the trip was 100% free for us (outside of tips, transfers and the excursion we did). It's not one I would chose to stay at if I was paying. And we both preferred the Hilton PDC over this one. The food was good, the lobby bar had really good tequila, so I kept walking there to refill our drinks. My BF had to fly back a day early which turned into a nightmare (he was on call 7/1). I was a bit leery of staying by myself the last day/night, and getting through the airport, etc. But it all worked out. I will also say, it was H-O-T! The only reason we went now was because my FNC were expiring. We'll definitely come in the winter/spring if we do it again!

My DD's BFFs were here visiting from TX while I was gone. When she picked me up at the airport she told me they had decided to fly back that day (7/1). They were supposed to go back 7/5, and she was going to go w/ them. But apparently the family they were visiting here in MI got Covid so they headed back to TX. We found out that night that one of the BFFs (they are twins) tested positive too. But my DD said she spent more time w/ the other twin. I tested my daughter Friday (and myself) and both were negative. Sunday morning my DD texted me to call her in the morning. She was feeling miserable. Test on Sunday morning she said was negative....when I got home I told her I saw a faint line. Later in the day a fever hit and when I tested her last night, she was positive. So I got to go from my all inclusive vaca escape right back into "motherhood" w/ a sick kiddo. Yesterday she was miserable, but today she seems to be turning the corner. So fingers crossed! Hoping I avoid it, and my son too. We both had it in Jan. My 17yo is upset as not having it we've joked is her personality trait.

Just slightly bummed as the BF got a trip to Vegas that I would have totally done w/ him (I still might) if she didn't get this. We'll see, LOL. I have a free night offer from MGM resorts. He's just supposed to deadhead home...which means we could stay an extra day/night in Vegas, LOL. I will say, I'm getting hella spoiled w/ this "lifestyle". How many people get to spend 4 nights for free in Cancun, then turn around and go to Vegas, LOL. I'm getting to the point I'm not even unpacking, LOL.

My Hyatt card came Saturday! My car insurance was more than I remembered. I have enough saved since I save more than enough each month for my tabs and ins but it was still surprising. Paid my car tabs but it hurts. They could be 78 bucks but we have a stupid transit tax to pay for the stupid light rail they are building and it's 300 for my car.

I did finally get Barclay's figured out and found the right spot for the payments I've made since my statement cut. My sub also posted, nice to see the 80k miles. No idea what they'll get used for but good to have for back up. Going to need to figure out some dl miles sometime soon.

Happy that so far Tux has been taking the fireworks in stride. Though the past 2 nights are nothing compared to what tonight will most likely be. Frustrating when they aren't legal anywhere near me but you can buy loud/crazy stuff on the reservations 30 min away which is what most do. Growing up an m1000 and a 3 foot long sparkler was about as crazy as you'd get from the res. Now it sounds like a war zone.

That sparkler was my 1st. My dad said I was old enough to have one that year so my neighbors who we always did fireworks with bought me the 3 ft one. Dad wasn't happy and eventually I got bored and someone stuck it in the ground but it was cool.

Yes,I become very 'stay off my lawn attitude on the 4th. I love fireworks but I love sleep and pets and people with ptsd to not have issues. It's just stressful.

Has anyone stayed the Hilton Bonnet Creek now that is Signa? I have FNC to use and was debating between there and the WA.

I have stayed at both the Hilton and WA there. The WA was nicer but we were also upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a view of the Disney fireworks. The Hilton was great too, they both had great service and the rooms were of comparable size. I'd honestly distinguish between the two as the WA seems to be bigger with the international crowd and those w/o kids. The Hilton was more families. I'd stay at either one again.

Anyone find a RCCL Amex Offer (reported on the RCCL board)?

No luck for me, but found a NCL Amex Offer for $125 on $500 on an AU card I'm working on MSR for.

Also found a Carnival Chase offer last week, but it's only $40 on $100.
Yes, can we trade?! :laughing:

I've been looking for the Norwegian - either one $125/$250 - but I got the $250 RCCL and still have a Celebrity one hanging around.

I still have a few weeks before final payment, I'm hoping they have another wave and I get lucky. 🤞

Also have the Shop Small Dining offer, but it's not making me rush right out there - Spend $75 get $5, x2. (whooo, save $10 on $150+)
It's so small I can't even figure the percentage.
Thought I was looking at my Chase offers for a sec. :joker:

DD got engaged on Saturday- planning a summer 2023 wedding- probably July- so a little over a year to plan. I'm looking for destination ideas for their honeymoon that could be a good redemption for me to use for them. I think ideally they'd like some type of Caribbean/beach vacation and it would be great if it was all inclusive. DD would like to go somewhere besides Mexico just because she'd like to go somewhere she hasn't been before, but not entirely opposed to Mexico. We have lots of Hilton points and opportunites for FNCs, but also have lots of URs we could transfer to Hyatt. We don't have much in Marriott and they seem more difficult to earn for us. I had looked at the Hilton La Romana in DR and also Jamaica Rose Hall (where I know you can use points but not FNC) so would appreciate feedback from anyone who has been to either of those. Also any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
We really like the Hilton in Playa Del Carmen. It was adults only which was nice. I think they just opened a new AI in Tulum that I'm sure is nice too.

Sounds very interesting! But LOL, why have I never heard of a Bilt card?
Clearly you're not on Tik Tok, LOL. It almost makes me wish I paid rent vs a mortgage, LOL.

We have a Hilton Honors Biz card that is coming up for renewal (AF) soon. I can't see any reason to keep this one (already have the Aspire), but I would like to know if anyone here can see a compelling reason to keep one of these? I see the FNC is at 15k spend (vs. 60k on the Aspire) but that's a lot of spend.
I manage to do the FNC every year w/ probably 1/2 spend organic and 1/2 VGC.....This year the $8k FNC spend, and now the 10K offer for adding my son (spend $1k) is also helping me to spend more on it. I have the surpass. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Hilton FNC!

I got back yesterday from a quick 1 night visit to Ottawa for a 1st birthday / house-warming party. My flight was at 8am on Saturday morning, so up at 5:15am and out the door by 6:15am. This was the flight that AC moved from the small regional airport to Pearson a few days after I booked the ticket. I'm not going to complain as it cost me 9k miles and I was biz class both directions (using my eUpgrades); cash price would've been over $1,500.00. Thought about @LilSweetPeaPhoto -- coming back yesterday there were 6 pilots in biz class with me and several FAs in economy class (all in uniform).
HA! You'd be shocked how many other crew members there might be flying in street clothes, LOL. And yea, they like to give pilots the nice seats, LOL.

My Hyatt card came Saturday! My car insurance was more than I remembered. I have enough saved since I save more than enough each month for my tabs and ins but it was still surprising. Paid my car tabs but it hurts. They could be 78 bucks but we have a stupid transit tax to pay for the stupid light rail they are building and it's 300 for my car.

I did finally get Barclay's figured out and found the right spot for the payments I've made since my statement cut. My sub also posted, nice to see the 80k miles. No idea what they'll get used for but good to have for back up. Going to need to figure out some dl miles sometime soon.

Happy that so far Tux has been taking the fireworks in stride. Though the past 2 nights are nothing compared to what tonight will most likely be. Frustrating when they aren't legal anywhere near me but you can buy loud/crazy stuff on the reservations 30 min away which is what most do. Growing up an m1000 and a 3 foot long sparkler was about as crazy as you'd get from the res. Now it sounds like a war zone.

That sparkler was my 1st. My dad said I was old enough to have one that year so my neighbors who we always did fireworks with bought me the 3 ft one. Dad wasn't happy and eventually I got bored and someone stuck it in the ground but it was cool.

Yes,I become very 'stay off my lawn attitude on the 4th. I love fireworks but I love sleep and pets and people with ptsd to not have issues. It's just stressful.
Glad your pup is handling the fireworks okay so far. Two of my three are quite medicated (and we'll re-dose them soon) and I'm headed off to the shelter to read to the dogs. Between my experiences with rescue dogs AND in the VA and the PTSD folks, I don't understand why fireworks are "necessary." But that's just my grumpy old self coming out I suppose.

Congrats on the Hyatt card finally arriving! I'm $4k from the $50k spend on my WoH biz and hoping to knock that out before our Miraval stay so I can recoup 20K Hyatt points (which will then be used for another Miraval stay lol). MSRs do take the sting out of paying bills, I've noticed. :)

I have a family member who is looking for a new card and is deciding between the AmEx Gold and the Citi Premier. He has a Discover and a CSP, both opened more than two years ago. The AmEx Gold probably would be a keeper card (the GrubHub and Uber credits would get used, essentially covering the AF, and the SUB seems good now, especially if he can pull up the 100,000 that's listed on DOC). The Citi Premier might not be a keeper card (the $95 AF seems hard to justify given the card's benefits) but the 80,000 points (which as I understand it can be redeemed for $800) would make it worth the AF for one year.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

ETA: I seem to recall that an AmEx card could support any(?) other AmEx card? Does this still work? So for instance a support link from a Plat card could be used to apply for a Gold?

get both... but u need to apply for the citi card first.

I've got an offer for $250 off $1,000 RCCL. Pretty enticing.
Which card is it on? I keep eyeing GTY rate for late Aug but I applied for a special program at work and won’t find out until Aug if I have been selected and we have orientation 8/26-30. Although I do question those dates since it is over the weekend and since when do Feds work on the weekend????

The Gold is nice for the 4x at grocery stores if he can leverage that benefit too.

I really like my Gold. It's a keeper card for the 4x on dining and groceries. And yes, you can get one using a non-Gold Amex link.

The Gold is better for groceries but the Premier is not bad (3x for the Premier).

get both... but u need to apply for the citi card first.

I am actually pondering this. We (DH and I) would need to help with the MS but that would not be a big problem. Both cards do seem to have enticing SUBs at the moment.

Does anyone sedate their cats for fireworks? I feel so bad for the poor things hiding under the bed (although they seem more mad than in distress). I've seen posts about people sedating their dogs but not cats. I once sedated one of our cats for a vet visit because she hates to get put in her carrier, but the effects lasted about 8 hours and I felt bad that she was out of sorts (wobbly, misjudging things to jump on) for so long that I didn't sedate her the next time, and aside from extreme resistance to being caught and put in the carrier, she was fine, so I haven't sedated her again.

I'll try to remember to ask the vet at the next visit but anyone have any experience with this?

Does anyone sedate their cats for fireworks? I feel so bad for the poor things hiding under the bed (although they seem more mad than in distress). I've seen posts about people sedating their dogs but not cats. I once sedated one of our cats for a vet visit because she hates to get put in her carrier, but the effects lasted about 8 hours and I felt bad that she was out of sorts (wobbly, misjudging things to jump on) for so long that I didn't sedate her the next time, and aside from extreme resistance to being caught and put in the carrier, she was fine, so I haven't sedated her again.

I'll try to remember to ask the vet at the next visit but anyone have any experience with this?
We don't "sedate" our dogs, but we have calming hemp treats that they get to help with the nerves. They are mostly un-phased by the fireworks though. I wonder if there is something similar for cats, just to calm them a bit?

I would try something like this to see if it works, I used this a long time ago on a cat that hated everyone and would hide when anyone else was around... Just spray it on a blanket and then put it with them, after a little bit she was out and wanting attention! Made taking her to the vet much easier...

https://us.feliway.com/products/feliway-classic-spray-60ml

The good thing about booking on points is you won't have any resort fees/parking fees with Hyatt. but the breakfast and room upgrades etc are only for those with status.

, about stays with Hyatts on points except that resort fees (if there are any) and parking fees (again, if there are any) are waived.

you pay for parking if your not a globalist.
yes, u can move your UR points from CIU to your CSR. i move my points all in the UR portal link.
Sorry for what is probably a terrible copy/paste/quote job.

I am a bit confused by some older mentions of parking at Hyatt when booking on points (I don't have ANY status with Hyatt)... and then this more recent one which I believe was also talking about a stay on points

Should I expect to pay for parking, or no? It's just one night so it's not going to kill me either way but I'd like to be prepared.

I did try reading the T&C but I was probably looking in the wrong place... I could not find, specifically, the answer to this.

Thank you!

Sorry for what is probably a terrible copy/paste/quote job.

I am a bit confused by some older mentions of parking at Hyatt when booking on points (I don't have ANY status with Hyatt)... and then this more recent one which I believe was also talking about a stay on points

Should I expect to pay for parking, or no? It's just one night so it's not going to kill me either way but I'd like to be prepared.

I did try reading the T&C but I was probably looking in the wrong place... I could not find, specifically, the answer to this.

Thank you!
status doesn't matter with Hyatt. you can transfer and book.
they will take your points and they will qualify for qualified nights.
without status, you will pay for parking at most properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter