I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll need to go back and read the last week, but my dad passed away Sunday morning. Last week my mom held down the fort while I went to NOLA for school. My sister came in to "give me the weekend off". On Weds he was transferred from the hospital to the SNF. I went to see him on Saturday morning. We chatted a little but he slept for most of it. I left around 1pm. My sister held down the fort the rest of the day. At 1:50 am I got the call he had passed. It sounds like it was peaceful and he decided it was time.

The "good news" is since he gave up his fight so "soon", everything he had was able to remain protected. He was able to leave us what he had managed to put in place for us. I'm honestly shocked at what I will be getting (and my sister isn't happy he split it 70/30).

And to keep this relevant....while sitting at the funeral home, I asked the director if they can take the number for a credit card. He said yes, and while we sat there planning I opened the Amex Gold Biz that I had a "preapproval" email for. Probably not the best option out there, but I thought I'd give it a try since I've been in Amex pop-up hell, and I knew I'd hit the spend immediately. The director laughed as I did it. But FYI, the transaction was declined as apparently it wasn't an "approved use" of the temp number. Luckily they are okay with me paying later today when my card arrives.
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.

Nope. 1 didn't know it was there and 2 I live in Seattle I'm not positioning for a trip to Asia :) That would just add stress and cost to make it not worth it. I'll stick with our biz and no 1st on jal and ana. Just hope I can get the return, the outbound on dl is crazy miles but I know they tend to be high 1 way vs rt.
I still think once they go from these Skelton flights to wide open more availability is going to open but this is my hunch tourism in japan was one of the top 10 industries I cant remember where it ranked so I think it's going to open the floodgates to more flights like they used to this is my assumption of course.

I'll need to go back and read the last week, but my dad passed away Sunday morning. Last week my mom held down the fort while I went to NOLA for school. My sister came in to "give me the weekend off". On Weds he was transferred from the hospital to the SNF. I went to see him on Saturday morning. We chatted a little but he slept for most of it. I left around 1pm. My sister held down the fort the rest of the day. At 1:50 am I got the call he had passed. It sounds like it was peaceful and he decided it was time.

The "good news" is since he gave up his fight so "soon", everything he had was able to remain protected. He was able to leave us what he had managed to put in place for us. I'm honestly shocked at what I will be getting (and my sister isn't happy he split it 70/30).

And to keep this relevant....while sitting at the funeral home, I asked the director if they can take the number for a credit card. He said yes, and while we sat there planning I opened the Amex Gold Biz that I had a "preapproval" email for. Probably not the best option out there, but I thought I'd give it a try since I've been in Amex pop-up hell, and I knew I'd hit the spend immediately. The director laughed as I did it. But FYI, the transaction was declined as apparently it wasn't an "approved use" of the temp number. Luckily they are okay with me paying later today when my card arrives.
Sorry for the loss of your dad.

So very sorry:(

Anyone very familiar with JFK? I'm having a heck of a time getting us from Iceland back to Miami. I only have AA miles but their only routing is 32 hours with 2 stops. I can get Icelandair to JFK for $425 and JFK to MIA for 17k AA with a 4 hr. layover (is this enough??). I can do a 12k flight that only gives me about 2:45 at JFK. Not worth it to save 30k points, right? Separate bookings so I would have to pick up luggage, customs, and recheck. I've considered so many iterations but I'm out of pocket one way or another. I thought of going back to London but then I have to pay for a night in London which for 6 people will cost me about $900 plus the intra-Europe flight plus lose a day in Iceland.

Thank you to @LynnTH for the United Club pass. Getting breakfast and have somewhere comfortable to sit, charge things and play on the computer during my almost four hour layover. First time in a lounge and my next flight will be my first time in FC.
Enjoy being spoiled! My first time in a club lounge was so long ago, back in 1995 when my Mom passed. I met my brother there who was the business flyer back and forth to Europe at the time, so he was well versed in such amenities. I had no clue although I had spent many trips flying in and out of that airport. Back in my flying days. Now I don't want to get on a plane, but will if I have to.

I still think once they go from these Skelton flights to wide open more availability is going to open but this is my hunch tourism in japan was one of the top 10 industries I cant remember where it ranked so I think it's going to open the floodgates to more flights like they used to this is my assumption of course.

I think the only thing that would change for seattle is potentially a flight into HND and not jist NRT. I don't know that either airline had 2 flights a day, just not needed between the two of them and DL. ANA was always biz only back when I started gathering points in 2018 so I also don't see that changing. I imagine ANA and JAL don't really have people connect in SEA, but in CA where DL has people connecting here. Different markets flying and prob not enough paying for 1st on the japanese airlines.

My only issue with it all was all the window seats were taken/blocked. I'll keep an eye on it though and hopefully I can switch.

While I'm waiting for my SW credits to post on my Amex(s), I have to say I'm impressed with how flexible SW has become with its fares. I don't expect the incredible conversion of cash to points will return, but with their new policies I think it doesn't really matter. Notable improvements this year: WGA+ which makes funds transferable, and no expiration of travel funds.

Last year I played the game of chicken of buying SW fares at the end of the year (how late could I buy it and still get reimbursed with that year's credit) since they expired 1 year from purchase. Now I don't have to worry about that! That's huge!

Last year I bought all the fares in DD's account since DH & I are covered with RRs and CP. I'll still do that, but now I have the option of making them transferable. Which is actually retro, because that used to be SW's policy back in the day, they're just bringing it back with a $30 premium.

And I love the instant credit back into your account when your fare drops and you change your itinerary. No penalties. I don't know if that happened this year or last year, but it's so fast and easy. I don't worry about when the flight schedule drops, I book whenever I feel like and change my ticket whenever I feel like. I've seen prices change day by day, and it's not always lower as time goes on - it fluctuates up and down so there is an element of luck involved. But will I change a flight for 712 RRs? Yes, yes I will. lol

Sure there are things to not like about SW, all airlines have some issues, but I respect their making changes for the better in some part of the travel experience. I wish they'd allow more than 3 payments on a ticket. But since it's so easy to combine travel funds by booking and canceling, it just makes it more of a logic puzzle game. I wish that if you pay for an upgraded boarding position, it would apply to all the segments of that direction. At least you can do it online now.

I'm planning on travel funds in smallish ($100-$150) amounts so that I can top off with the CSP for travel protections(?), which leads me to this question:
Has anyone made a claim with their Sapphire card where you've make a change to the original ticket? Do the travel protections apply, as long as the original flight confirmation code remains the same, even if the date/time may have changed?

i used one 3 years ago, it wasnt specifically target princess cruise but a few cruise lines that include princess. was $100 off $500.

Of course I have Carnival offers, owned by the same company as Princess, but it specifically says Carnival, grrrr.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter