I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
il_1588xN.3798083956_huo3.jpg

i prefer these...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1202038430/credit-cards-categories-stickers-labels

:]
I tried those first, but I found myself forgetting when something that's normally good gets surpassed by a rotating category, i.e. AMEX Gold 4X restaurants is great, and if I saw a 4X Restaurants I'd probably think to use the card without first checking if Discover was on 5X dining that quarter. By only having one card per category at any given time, I can't mess it up.

I tried those first, but I found myself forgetting when something that's normally good gets surpassed by a rotating category, i.e. AMEX Gold 4X restaurants is great, and if I saw a 4X Restaurants I'd probably think to use the card without first checking if Discover was on 5X dining that quarter. By only having one card per category at any given time, I can't mess it up.
I do the same I even put a spreadsheet to make sure I max it out when I do ynab once a week and then I take it out so I don't use it anymore.

This... @darnheather should be getting new cards for each Tuition Payment (or 2 cards per each Tuition payment).

Are you paying the $10,000 at one time or can you pay like $5000 at one time and $5000 in 3 months (to try and space out Chase Cards if going that way)

You have a lot of options for cards and can get some good SUB's. Do you have a Player 2 or just you getting cards?

I am on my last year of college tuition for my 2 kids. I always got a new card or cards B4 Tuition was due. Got a lot of Chase UR's that way (College did not take AMEX). So, make sure to see what cards the college will accept and then go from there.

I think the Chase CSP/CSR Double Dip would be good for 1 payment. Maybe Cap One Venture X for another partial payment or Chase Ink Biz Cards. Or SW Cards or United Biz. So many possibilities.

I need to think this through and come up with a plan. We are starting our last year of college tuition (three kids spread out so I've been paying for colleges since 2009). During that time I would never have put it on a CC because of the fees, but now I'm looking at the SUBs and thinking they may outweigh the cost (2.75%). I am 2/24 with CSP and VentureX so I'm not sure what my next move should be....

I need to think this through and come up with a plan. We are starting our last year of college tuition (three kids spread out so I've been paying for colleges since 2009). During that time I would never have put it on a CC because of the fees, but now I'm looking at the SUBs and thinking they may outweigh the cost (2.75%). I am 2/24 with CSP and VentureX so I'm not sure what my next move should be....
Chase Biz cards would be awfully tempting to me in your spot or Amex if they had excellent offers going. (Had a player who won’t do Biz cards pull up the 150k plat sign up just this weekend. Definitely worth a 5/24 slot for that person.)

I think it would have to be the lamest sub ever to not recoup your 2.75% cost.

DH has Bonvoy Amex (old SPG card) and I have Amex BCP and Hilton Honors Amex. It’s paid in full so they will only want the card for incidentals. Do you think giving them one of those cards will be ok?
When I have checked in the ask for an Amex. They haven’t specified which one. I’d try the neutral BCP.

I booked 2 nights at the Omni Mount Washington Hotel in July for our 20th anniversary with DH’s Plat to use the FHR. His AF came up in June and we cancelled the card. I just assumed we won’t get the $100 dining. But is there anything I’m not thinking about? I’m hoping they won’t need the Plat at check in. We just stayed at the Samoset Resort in Rockport Maine. I was able to switch the card from my CSP to DH’s CSR a week prior to arrival to get the travel credit but when we checked in they asked for the CSR. So now I’m worried they will ask for the Plat at the OMWR.

We just spend a night in a hotel booked through FHR last weekend. We were told we HAD to use an Amex for the additional spend, but that it did not have to be a Plat. (DH wanted to use his Bonvoy card since we were at a RC). Of course YMMV. For many years it just had to be an Amex, but I know at one or two stays we have been told we had to use the Plat itself (but I think that may be a mistake).

:headache: Ugh, I thought I was being clever by signing up for Southwest Rapid Rewards dining: Spend $25 on dining within the first month and get 1000 RR points.
What I didn't realize is, it has to be PARTICIPATING restaurants and my small rural town only has one. I don't expect to go to an urban area in the next month. The one restaurant we do have is not a place I normally would eat, but I would be willing to buy a gift card to give away later. Anyone know if buying a gift card at a participating restaurant will code as dining and trigger that reward?

Need points redemption/travel opinions for upcoming stay in Paris in 3 weeks. I am currently booked at the Hilton Maison de Astor on cash at a very good rate. However, I can book the Hyatt Regency Etoile Regency Executive Suite for 24,000 points per night and that includes lounge access. My hesitation is location, which is a bit further from where I wanted to be, and it's not a unique or historic type hotel. Also, I am saving URs for flights next year, but I could always just get another card and re-earn the 75K pts in one SUB probably. Anyone stayed at this Hyatt or have opinions on the area?

We don't "sedate" our dogs, but we have calming hemp treats that they get to help with the nerves. They are mostly un-phased by the fireworks though. I wonder if there is something similar for cats, just to calm them a bit?

I would try something like this to see if it works, I used this a long time ago on a cat that hated everyone and would hide when anyone else was around... Just spray it on a blanket and then put it with them, after a little bit she was out and wanting attention! Made taking her to the vet much easier...

https://us.feliway.com/products/feliway-classic-spray-60ml

Thanks for these suggestions--I'm definitely looking into them. Years ago we tried a diffuser that I think was like the Feliway spray, and it didn't seem to have any effect, but I also think the space might have been toolarge, so spraying a single object might work a lot better.

:headache: Ugh, I thought I was being clever by signing up for Southwest Rapid Rewards dining: Spend $25 on dining within the first month and get 1000 RR points.
What I didn't realize is, it has to be PARTICIPATING restaurants and my small rural town only has one. I don't expect to go to an urban area in the next month. The one restaurant we do have is not a place I normally would eat, but I would be willing to buy a gift card to give away later. Anyone know if buying a gift card at a participating restaurant will code as dining and trigger that reward?
It depends on if the restaurant itself is selling the gift card or if they are using a 3rd party provider. It should trigger the deal. I have my two primary cards registered with RR Dining, again not a whole lot in my town that is part of the program but every once in a while I get points on something that I hadn't planned on. Like Sunday I went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch, got an email that I earned 150 RR points.

Need points redemption/travel opinions for upcoming stay in Paris in 3 weeks. I am currently booked at the Hilton Maison de Astor on cash at a very good rate. However, I can book the Hyatt Regency Etoile Regency Executive Suite for 24,000 points per night and that includes lounge access. My hesitation is location, which is a bit further from where I wanted to be, and it's not a unique or historic type hotel. Also, I am saving URs for flights next year, but I could always just get another card and re-earn the 75K pts in one SUB probably. Anyone stayed at this Hyatt or have opinions on the area?
I looked into this I stayed at the Madeline and Park Hyatt in February. I wouldn't go to this hotel it's kind of like when people ask me if I would drive 45 minutes away from Disney world if I wanted to maximize the time I don't think it's worth it but your mileage may vary. that hotel is also non-parisian, I'm not sure how to describe it. I wouldn't want to waste my 1hr + every day to save some money on points id just stay at what you have booked. Do you have status with Hyatt? i got upgraded at both rooms but I'm pretty sure February is less traffic.

Last edited:
Thanks @reliev. That kind of confirms my gut instinct. I’m just kicking myself that I didn’t book the Park Hyatt or Hotel Louvre at a great rate when I had the chance months ago. Oh well, we will not be in the room much anyway..

I was on vacation the past 10 or so days, so I'm behind, but I live about an 45 minutes outside of STL and my two DD's just moved there in the past 2 years, so if you need information about any areas you're looking at moving to, I could probably get some good information from them. My biggest concern when they moved there was making sure they were choosing a good and safe neighborhood.
My DD25 lives in the Tower Grove area and DD24 lives in the Central West End. Both are in good walkable areas and they both love them.
Thanks! We have spent the last two weeks looking at apartments and finding an area that is both affordable and safe is definitely our biggest concern. I would love to live in CWE but there aren't many pet friendly options for a student budget. And we want to stay away from sketchy management. If either of your daughter's has specific building/ management company recommendations (or ones to avoid) that would be really helpful! Looking to pay around 1200 for a two bedroom (or slightly more if utilities are included).

Also, boyfriend is worrying we can't afford the move and is threatening to open a 0% APR card that we can't pay off. My mom is rolling in her grave.

I think people overthink the impact of inquires. I opened six accounts in June and my score went up three points.

Stickers!

View attachment 682183
I do this. Label maker, smaller labels. DH doesn't spend much but I can pretty much only give him one card. Last one I just put NEW label on it and told him to use the New one. Lol. When we moved, I put HOUSE on one card and told him to use that.
These are kinda cute. Might have to look into those.
Right now I have a new CIC, so I literally have to put all spend on that to get to $7500. I might even have to pay moms taxes with it.

Thanks! We have spent the last two weeks looking at apartments and finding an area that is both affordable and safe is definitely our biggest concern. I would love to live in CWE but there aren't many pet friendly options for a student budget. And we want to stay away from sketchy management. If either of your daughter's has specific building/ management company recommendations (or ones to avoid) that would be really helpful! Looking to pay around 1200 for a two bedroom (or slightly more if utilities are included).

Also, boyfriend is worrying we can't afford the move and is threatening to open a 0% APR card that we can't pay off. My mom is rolling in her grave.

I will check with them and get back with you. The one that lives in Tower Grove is in a 2 bedroom converted house type set up. She has the bottom unit and there are two units directly above her that enter through the same street door. They then each have their own private doors to their places. She does pay more than you are looking to spend, but she has an in unit washer /dryer and a few other things that I think make her rent go up some. My daughter that lives in the CWE is in a one bedroom with her boyfriend. She has more of an apartment type setup. They have a lot of "living" area in their place, but just the one bedroom.

I will say they have spent a decent amount on their moves, but some of that is by choice because they've enjoyed buying new things for their places. It is a lot of money upfront though since you have to do the first month plus deposit. I'd agree though, that a 0% card that you can't pay off is not the move to make! Your mom taught you well!

Thanks @reliev. That kind of confirms my gut instinct. I’m just kicking myself that I didn’t book the Park Hyatt or Hotel Louvre at a great rate when I had the chance months ago. Oh well, we will not be in the room much anyway..
The Louvre is very central (to the attractions I passed it walking almost every day) I'm going to book there for the next visit. The Park Hyatt was a little over the top for me now that it's more points probably will only go there for some truly special occasion.

Last edited:
It depends on if the restaurant itself is selling the gift card or if they are using a 3rd party provider. It should trigger the deal. I have my two primary cards registered with RR Dining, again not a whole lot in my town that is part of the program but every once in a while I get points on something that I hadn't planned on. Like Sunday I went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch, got an email that I earned 150 RR points.

We also don't have a ton in town that's on the program. We have our dining cards linked just in case and are pleasantly surprised when we see a credit hit every so often.

I looked into this I stayed at the Madeline and Park Hyatt in February. I wouldn't go to this hotel it's kind of like when people ask me if I would drive 45 minutes away from Disney world if I wanted to maximize the time I don't think it's worth it but your mileage may vary. that hotel is also non-parisian, I'm not sure how to describe it. I wouldn't want to waste my 1hr + every day to save some money on points id just stay at what you have booked. Do you have status with Hyatt? i got upgraded at both rooms but I'm pretty sure February is less traffic.
I recently learned that actually February is Fashion Week--at least when I'm there in late February...I felt super lucky to get the Park Hyatt booked when I did-the Hotel de Louvre had no points bookings available (that was my preference, actually). So I think parts of February can be low season but likely not around Valentine's Day or Fashion Week. I had no idea but fortunately backed into a points booking-better lucky than smart :laughing:

Thanks for this. We'll be in Paris Dec 26 through the New Year. Besides some day trips elsewhere, we need to book a hotel with in Paris for most of the nights. Unfortunately, many of the Hyatts are not taking points reservations during these dates. We could stay at the Regency but not after what @reliev said, plus it's 18K pts for a standard 2 beds (and we'd actually prefer a king room or a suite). Will look at the Hilton or see what I can find on the Chase portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter