I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I had to go back and read my original posts to figure out the dates, and I actually only waited 8 days. I closed my acct on Sept 5 and then applied for the higher level card on Sept 13. I have great credit and only had 2 cards total and 0/24 at the time so I knew there was a problem when I got the "we will send a letter" message. I called and spoke to someone in the lending section. He is the one who provided the 30 day/product family rule info, and he explained that they had not pulled my credit because they could not even process the app within that 30 days. He said maybe if I talk to the other (regular) customer service dept, they might have a way to officially close out the acct sooner than 30 days, so I tried that and they said no way to do it.
That is really strange and contradicts how it all used to work... And that really stinks! Something has either changed or you get dealt a bad hand here... This will be a DP to watch for going forward!

Now the way around that on cards like CFF, CSP, CSR etc. is to simply do a PC instead of cancel. BUT you can't get around that with Southwest cards... I assume you're trying to take advantage of the 65k offer too which should've gone away a week ago but somehow is still hanging on...

That is really strange and contradicts how it all used to work... And that really stinks! Something has either changed or you get dealt a bad hand here... This will be a DP to watch for going forward!

Now the way around that on cards like CFF, CSP, CSR etc. is to simply do a PC instead of cancel. BUT you can't get around that with Southwest cards... I assume you're trying to take advantage of the 65k offer too which should've gone away a week ago but somehow is still hanging on...
Yes, I was trying to get the 65K which was going to expire and was using BIL’s referral code to help him out. The worst part about my story is that I reopened the stupid acct so I could keep charging on it and they extended the offer!

Some commentary on Southwest's schedule extension patterns in 2020 and how they've varied from prior years:

Southwest has always had a somewhat predictable pattern to their release schedule dating back to 2017 and even prior (I've only kept good records since 2017). For example:
  • In both 2018 and 2019, they had 7 schedule extensions.
  • Their big holiday release (covering Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years) occurred right around the end of May
  • The other extensions added 1-2 months of flight "inventory" each time as is normal.
Last year however, the typical late June release never happened. It was delayed until August and each release thereafter was delayed approximately 1 month. At the time we surmised that this was due to the ongoing 737 Max grounding but of course COVID then followed on its heels in March of 2020. Southwest completely skipped their late January release in early 2020 but yet they still had their Late-May holiday release.

The net result of all of this is that Southwest will only have FOUR (4) schedule extensions in the calendar year 2020 (Mar/May/Aug/Dec). For people that have suggested that it "feels" like we are waiting longer for Southwest to put out their schedule - that's because we are! Here's some analysis on the "days of inventory" that Southwest is making available:
This figure is calculated as the difference between a point it time (i.e. today) and the last date available for booking. For purposes of these calculations I'm assuming that the 12/10 schedule extension will remain on that date and be the last to occur in 2020.

Average Days Inventory Available:
  • 2018 = 217 days
  • 2019 = 220 days
  • 2020 = 189 days
  • So on average, we are seeing approx. 1 month less in flights available to book on any given day
Maximum/Minimum Days Inventory Available:
  • 2018 = 263 (max) / 157 (min)
  • 2019 = 243 (max) / 144 (min)
  • 2020 = 241 (max) / 123 (min)
On December 9, 2020 we will see the smallest amount of Southwest Inventory available since as far back as my records go (close to 4 years) at 123 days. Barely 4 months worth of flights will be showing on the schedule at that time and even after that release we won't have 6 months of flights available (based on what they currently show). Only time will tell if Southwest will hold to this new tighter inventory control or not. Anecdotally, I believe Southwest used to operate this way and gradually over time they actually increased the amount of inventory they made available - so for people who flew SW a lot back in 2007-2010 for example, this might feel a lot like it did then. Many years ago it would've been crazy to see SW have 8+ months of inventory available.

The reason SW has operated this way historically was because they RARELY would adjust their schedule. Of course the 737-Max and COVID environment has completely thrown that out the window. I know we all want things to get back to normal on so many levels, but hopefully one of those "back to normal" things is Southwest getting their schedule process under control so that releases occur in a timely fashion and schedule changes once again become a rarity!

Woke up to a a nice $15 back on $100 Happy Cards offer on Amex. Went to look at Happy Cards site... of course the one with Home Depot on it is not there anymore. Bummer. I had used those ones last year to buy Disney gift cards.

ETA: Oops, I guess @Limes96 beat me to it! :P
No Lowes either. It's funny how so many of the retailers on the Happy Cards are not financially strong.

Woke up to a a nice $15 back on $100 Happy Cards offer on Amex. Went to look at Happy Cards site... of course the one with Home Depot on it is not there anymore. Bummer. I had used those ones last year to buy Disney gift cards.

Yeah, real bummer about Home Depot. They also seem to be changing them over to online redemption only. I don’t know if they’ll eventually all be like that but seems like they’ve never been that easy to use. That would make them even less simple to use.

I don't see anything worth the 15% discount since a lot of the stores will discount their own gift cards up to 20%. Since Lowes and Home Depot are gone, and BB&B near me has only their own store cards, I'm out on this one.

Also, it's October and I haven't been able to load up on discount Disney gift cards for my DVC dues. I mean the 10 to 20% discounts. Lots of itty bitty ones. Usually by December I've got several thousand in place. Lucky for me I pay as I go so I can stretch it over the year and hopefully pick up some decent offers.

Thanks to whoever posted the Chase Lowes - I did have that on 2 cards. Ironically on the Disney card that I never use and that hasn't had any offers in months.

For those who recently applied for Chase Biz, did you sign in or use the guest option?

Attachments

• 969E714B-1949-41E9-B921-C87C26AC3EBC.png
    969E714B-1949-41E9-B921-C87C26AC3EBC.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter