I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new here. Was recommended by a friend and have lurked for a bit. My husband and I are avid landscape photographers and we love going to the southwestern part of the united states for photography trips. We live in the Bay area and the usual MO is to to fly to Vegas and drive around from there.
Last year I had got the south west credit card and was able to get a companion pass with it (promotion). That helped us a lot, since we go several times in the year. Sadly that expired at the end of 2019. Is there a way to get a companion pass any more? thanks so much

Welcome! @SouthFayetteFan seems to be the resident expert on SW, so I hope he will chime in and assist you with the companion pass. :goodvibes

Hi I'm new here. Was recommended by a friend and have lurked for a bit. My husband and I are avid landscape photographers and we love going to the southwestern part of the united states for photography trips. We live in the Bay area and the usual MO is to to fly to Vegas and drive around from there.
Last year I had got the south west credit card and was able to get a companion pass with it (promotion). That helped us a lot, since we go several times in the year. Sadly that expired at the end of 2019. Is there a way to get a companion pass any more? thanks so much
Is your DH willing to open cards too? DH and I switch off every two years on who earns the CP for SW. It is his turn now and he just earned in mid Jan so we’ll have it until the end of 2021.

SW raised it so you now need 125k points for CP. (I am guessing you did the special CP they offered to only CA residents?)

If your DH is willing he could open the cards and earn CP. You could do this by either opening a biz and personal or 2 personals, but they need to be timed perfectly. I think there are still links available for the personal 75k offer. So if you can time the personals that‘s 150k and you have CP.

There’s lots of good info on the Dischurners (reddit) about SW and CP.
Just PM @SouthFayetteFan your reddit name and he can get you added.

Last edited:

We would need to know more about what CCs you and your DH have. But if the current SW card is in your name the easiest way to do it would be to use your support links for DH to get the cards as long as he has not had the cards recently. You can only have 1 SW personal card at a time and it must be at least 24 months since last bonus. The easiest way to get it right now I think is the 2 SW biz cards. Sounds like maybe you have a biz with your photography? Search for @SouthFayetteFan's Fireside Chat on the companion pass on this thread or in our Reddit group.

A @SouthFayetteFan mini-fireside chat: Why am I advocating for 2 business or 2 personal SW cards but NOT as keen on 1 of each:

You've seen me mention numerous times about recommending either 2 business cards (spaced out appropriately) or 2 personal cards (via MDD) as your best SW CP strategy. Why do I keep saying that? Well to examine this let's first assess the current restrictions on each card:
  • IF you earned a signup bonus on ANY SW PERSONAL CARD in the past 24 months then you ARE NOT eligible for a bonus on ANY SW Personal Card (not just the card you signed up for, but ALL SW personal cards).
  • IF you earned a signup bonus on A SW PREMIER BIZ CARD in the past 24 months then you ARE NOT eligible for a bonus on the SW Premier Biz Card (but you could get a SW Performance Biz).
  • IF you earned a signup bonus on A SW PERFORMANCE BIZ CARD in the past 24 months then you ARE NOT eligible for a bonus on the SW Performance Biz Card (but you could get a SW Premier Biz).
So currently the "ONE SOUTHWEST PERSONAL" rule prevents you from earning the bonus on more than one SW personal card except for the MDD loophole. (side note, the 2/30 chase application rule prevents from you from triple dipping these cards so don't even try that IMO). Also of note, the 24 months is measured from when you were awarded the bonus, NOT when you applied and NOT when you met the MSR. Once you pull the trigger on one of these cards you are likely under those restrictions for the next 25-27 months!!

There is no guaranty that Chase won't change these rules in the future - potential changes could include:
  • A "ONE SOUTHWEST BUSINESS" rule similar to the personal cards.
  • A change in the 24 month restriction to 48 months (this could occur on personal cards, business cards, or all cards).
  • MDD could die
  • Something else we haven't even dreamt of yet!
So why 2 personals or 2 business but not one of each... Flexibility my friend...it's ALL about future flexibility...

Scenario 1:
You sign up for 2 personal cards via MDD
- You earn a crap-ton of points now but can't get another personal card until sometime in mid 2022.
- In the future you still could sign up for BOTH business cards to get another CP (i.e. in 2022). IF Chase enacts a ONE SW BIZ rule you can still sign up for one business card.
- If Chase enacts a 48 month rule, at least you maximized your opportunity today (and you aren't locked out of biz cards)

Scenario 2: You sign up for 2 business cards
- You earn a lot of points now but can't get either business card again until sometime in mid 2022
- In the future you still could sign up for a personal SW card or even earn another CP via MDD (i.e. in 2022).
- If Chase enacts a ONE SW BIZ rule you don't care, you already earned both bonuses!
- If Chase enacts a 48 month rule, you haven't gotten any personal cards so you're still in business there!

Scenario 3: You sign up for 1 personal and 1 biz card. NOTICE THE FLEXIBILITY RESTRICTIONS:
- Congrats you are able to earn a CP!
- You can't earn another CP until later in 2022 because you are locked out of 1 biz card and all personal cards until 25-27 months from their initial applications
- You can't get another personal card period to pad your SW balance
- You could get the other business card (for now)
- IF Chase enacts a ONE SW BIZ rule you are now out of that card until mid 2022.
- IF Chase enacts a 48 month rule you are now out on personal cards until mid 2024
- IF Chase enacts both rules you aren't earning any more SW bonuses until mid 2024

This may seem a bit doomsday but nobody saw one Sapphire coming until it hit. Nobody saw one SW personal until it hit. Nobody saw 48 mo. restriction on Sapphire until it hit. These are the types of scenarios I plan for...I try to think 10 steps and 2 years ahead when I chart my strategy. Anytime you have an opportunity leave yourself greater flexibility down the line, I say do it! Not everybody will have that flexibility now due to previous SW cards, BUT if you do, please consider this before you apply.

...boy this doesn't seem like a "mini" fireside chat after all, haha!

EDIT: I added this as a sticky on the Fireside Chat Southwest CP post on DISchurners!
@landscapelens
This is the info you want to read over.

If you want to go with the 2 personal cards you've got to do it before Feb 18th, when the 75K points for the personal card expires.
You have come to the right place, welcome. This thread moves FAST!

EBCI and tax work for Amex airline credit, correct? I've been trying to browse through FT, but they're all about other strategies.

Since I have A-List for a bit, thinking of treating the others to EBCI to use up credits. I prefer to book on points rather than travel vouchers ;)

EBCI and tax work for Amex airline credit, correct? I've been trying to browse through FT, but they're all about other strategies.

Since I have A-List for a bit, thinking of treating the others to EBCI to use up credits. I prefer to book on points rather than travel vouchers ;)
Both worked for me 👍🏻

Question for @calypso726 or anyone else with two Aspires. If one Aspire is in your name and one Aspire is in P2's name, does P2 have to call Hilton to apply his/her free night certificate or will I be able to call and have Hilton apply DH's FN certificate (since he is like many other P2s on this thread; he's more than willing to have me open cards for him and he tries his best to use the *correct* card when making purchasers, but he is 100% not the travel planner and hates having to call)? Assuming we want to use both our our FN certificates for the same stay, what is the protocol for linking the reservations together?

I honestly don't remember if I had to make him get on the phone or not. Marriott can be booked online but if you call they will make P2 get on the phone. IHG doesn't make me put DH on the phone. I don't remember if Hilton does. In any case, call when DH is nearby and that way if the say they have to talk to him you can just hand him the phone while you are standing there.

Linking reservations: We will tell them when booking hat we'd like to link the reservation anf they will add that to the notes. We will call or email the hotel a week or a few days before arriving and request that the reservations be linked. Upon check in we once again request the reservations be linked. Usually you still have to get another room key on day 2.

I honestly don't remember if I had to make him get on the phone or not. Marriott can be booked online but if you call they will make P2 get on the phone. IHG doesn't make me put DH on the phone. I don't remember if Hilton does. In any case, call when DH is nearby and that way if the say they have to talk to him you can just hand him the phone while you are standing there.

Linking reservations: We will tell them when booking hat we'd like to link the reservation anf they will add that to the notes. We will call or email the hotel a week or a few days before arriving and request that the reservations be linked. Upon check in we once again request the reservations be linked. Usually you still have to get another room key on day 2.

Thanks!

Question for @calypso726 or anyone else with two Aspires. If one Aspire is in your name and one Aspire is in P2's name, does P2 have to call Hilton to apply his/her free night certificate or will I be able to call and have Hilton apply DH's FN certificate (since he is like many other P2s on this thread; he's more than willing to have me open cards for him and he tries his best to use the *correct* card when making purchasers, but he is 100% not the travel planner and hates having to call)? Assuming we want to use both our our FN certificates for the same stay, what is the protocol for linking the reservations together?
I was able to book both mine and my husbands free night from the Hilton biz.

Does anyone here know anything about the Hyatt Confidant in Miami Beach? Or Miami Beach in general? Considering a weekend getaway to use up my Hyatt Free night cert. @calypso726 maybe? Just wondering if it will be a good redemption for us. We are not butt on the beach people so hopefully will find something fun to do. Looking for a redemption somewhere warm. It will be the end of March.

It's about 95% certain that college dd will be interning in Vienna this summer (!!) but it's killing me that she doesn't have an official start date yet so I can't look at flights :badpc::rotfl:

Anyone ever fly to Vienna from PHL, DC metro, or NY metro?
I'm going to Vienna this summer but I am flying a very circuitous route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter