I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another update on our Maldives trip next year. I am super excited because I was able to snag first class flights on Etihad for the trip home. This required some research on my part (to find 'guest' availability on points on the Etihad website, then book using Aeroplan), but I made it happen! Since the trip is almost finalized I went ahead and booked the flight from Toronto to London on Avios. I put in the departure date and selected first class on the BA website and the first flight that popped up had 2 seats in first class (which almost never happens on the first try); figuring it was a sign, I jumped on them. Here is what our itinerary looks like:
  • Toronto to London, BA first class (booked using BA Avios) / 136,000 Avios
    • 6 nights London at the Conrad (5 nights points and 1 night cash) / 320,000 HH points
  • London to Male via Doha on Qatar business class in Q suites (booked with BA Avios) / ~ 201,500 Avios
    • 8 nights at WA Maldives (6 nights points and 2 FNCs) / 600,000 HH points
    • just confirmed a cash upgrade to Ocean Villa with pool (from reef villa)
  • Male to Singapore: will likely book directly with Singapore Air (cash) as the only flight open on points is a red eye (I prefer daytime flight since it's only 5 hours)
    • cash booking at the Fullerton Bay Hotel (in one of only 2 jacuzzi suites via Virtuoso -- it's an infinity jacuzzi located off of the outdoor balcony -- as seen here); it looks amazing! I will keep my eye open in the new year to see if AmEx platinum offers up any promos through FHR on this hotel
  • Singapore to Toronto as follows:
    • Singapore to Abu Dhabi, Etihad, first class (overnight in Abu Dhabi)
    • Abu Dhabi to LAX, Etihad, first class (8 hour layover in LAX, hoping the Centurion lounge will be open by May, 2021)
    • LAX to Toronto on Air Canada, business class (AC doesn't have first class)
    • this entire leg was booked using Aeroplan / 230,000 points
I really hope that this trip happens as I can't imagine trying to do it all over again.

In terms of my pajama quest (we have never received pjs on any of our travels and it's become a goal of mine), we should get at least 3 pairs on this trip (Qatar gives them out in business class on overnight flights). I am super excited that I was able to snag first class availability using Aeroplan (they just partnered with Etihad in April).

Last edited:
Yet another update on our Maldives trip next year. I am super excited because I was able to snag first class flights on Etihad for the trip home. This required some research on my part (to find 'guest' availability on points on the Etihad website, then book using Aeroplan), but I made it happen! Since the trip is almost finalized I went ahead and booked the flight from Toronto to London on Avios. I put in the departure date and selected first class on the BA website and the first flight that popped up had 2 seats in first class (which almost never happens on the first try); figuring it was a sign, I jumped on them. Here is what our itinerary looks like:
  • Toronto to London, BA first class (booked using BA Avios)
    • 6 nights London at the Conrad (5 nights points and 1 night cash)
  • London to Male via Doha on Qatar business class in Q suites (booked with BA Avios)
    • 8 nights at WA Maldives (6 nights points and 2 FNCs)
  • Male to Singapore: will likely book directly with Singapore Air (cash) as the only flight open on points is a red eye (I prefer daytime flight since it's only 5 hours)
    • cash booking at the Fullerton Bay Hotel (in one of only 2 jacuzzi suites via Virtuoso -- it's an infinity jacuzzi located off of the outdoor balcony -- as seen here); it looks amazing! I will keep my eye open in the new year to see if AmEx platinum offers up any promos through FHR on this hotel
    • Abu Dhabi to LAX, Etihad, first class (8 hour layover in LAX, hoping the Centurion lounge will be open by May, 2021)
    • this entire leg was booked using Aeroplan
I really hope that this trip happens as I can't imagine trying to do it all over again.

In terms of my pajama quest (we have never received pjs on any of our travels and it's become a goal of mine), we should get at least 3 pairs on this trip (Qatar gives them out in business class on overnight flights). I am super excited that I was able to snag first class availability using Aeroplan (they just partnered with Etihad in April).
Wow! This sounds like an amazing trip! That jacuzzi looks lovely!

• Toronto to London, BA first class (booked using BA Avios)
    • 6 nights London at the Conrad (5 nights points and 1 night cash)
  • London to Male via Doha on Qatar business class in Q suites (booked with BA Avios)
    • 8 nights at WA Maldives (6 nights points and 2 FNCs)
    • this entire leg was booked using Aeroplan

Wow sounds like one heck of a redemption! Would you mind breaking down how many points in each currency and cash you're paying for all of that?

• London to Male via Doha on Qatar business class in Q suites (booked with BA Avios) / ~ 201,500 Avios

might not make a big difference for you since your plans are locked in place but check check check this flight like a hawk. Qatar is very notorious on plane swaps...

I agree with your thoughts, especially the ASAP part since that will put 6 months in between now and your MDD.
Ok so I’m going to go for it in the next day or two- as soon as I decide which card I want. I‘m thinking I’ll go for a Chase card since that’s what I’ll be shut out of after 5/24. I currently hold the Disney visa, CSP, and IHG. Do any of the other Chase personal cards (Or any brand really) have above average SUB right now or are they all pretty much status quo? Outside of Chase, if I could pull the Amex gold elevated offer posted about a couple weeks ago I may have gone for that but all I can get is the public offer right now. Also would be interested in Amex delta but their SUB seem low right now.

Ok so I’m going to go for it in the next day or two- as soon as I decide which card I want. I‘m thinking I’ll go for a Chase card since that’s what I’ll be shut out of after 5/24. I currently hold the Disney visa, CSP, and IHG. Do any of the other Chase personal cards (Or any brand really) have above average SUB right now or are they all pretty much status quo? Outside of Chase, if I could pull the Amex gold elevated offer posted about a couple weeks ago I may have gone for that but all I can get is the public offer right now. Also would be interested in Amex delta but their SUB seem low right now.

The Chase Bonvoy Boundless is elevated at 100k. But if you’ve had other Bonvoy cards you’ll have to check the rules. It’ll also lock you out of the Amex Bonvoy cards for 2 years.

Or the Chase Hyatt is a good keeper card if you can use the annual free night (after the first year). Not elevated but SUB seems pretty consistent - tiered total 50k for $6000 spend.

Would agree a Chase card is the better strategy, but if you really want the Gold, you can try incognito, different browsers, different devices, with VPN.

Last edited:
Is there a way for me to use multiple Marriott free night certificates at the same hotel for the same night? Would I use my name on all to reserve or use the name of the person occupying the room?

You actually have to book Marriott certificates online in your name only. The terms on the cert state they're not transferable. However, you should be able to call and add another person as also checking in with you so they'll be able to use it. As for multiple on the same night, not sure about that, but my guess is you'll have to call.

Check your Amex offers, DH has the following on his Brilliant
Offer merchant logo

Spend $100 or more, get $10 back. Up to 2 times (total of $20).
Amazon.com

I know there are quite a few people here who sell on EBay. I have some items from a late relative that I'd like to sell. Mostly little things he collected like pocket knives and coins. I have no idea about how to go about it. I know there are fees and shipping, etc but was wondering if anyone could give me a brief primer or suggestions & tips. Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks

I agree with @palhockeymomof2 and @happ and the advice they have given you. I always charge a flat shipping rate - first class (between $4 and $5.75 covers pretty much everywhere) and then $8.50 for priority and I use the flat rate padded envelope. For coins and pocket knives, you can probably use the flat rate small box as the easiest method. Definitely pay your postage through ebay as it will save you quite a bit and it uploads the tracking automatically. Your fees for ebay will be about 12.9%+0.30 although they may fluctuate a % or 2 because they are changing some of their payment methods. If you don't have a paypal, get one. Look at sold listings of your exact item including condition so you can price accordingly. For something very valuable, maybe try a local coin shop to avoid the inherent risk of selling to a stranger on the internet. My son took up coin collecting as a hobby this quarantine - he has gone through relatives, friends, and neighbors coin bottles, boxes, bags. We discovered that coin shops still exist and he's now visited those too. Very old school.

• Toronto to London, BA first class (booked using BA Avios) / 136,000 Avios
    • 6 nights London at the Conrad (5 nights points and 1 night cash) / 320,000 HH points
    • this entire leg was booked using Aeroplan / 230,000 points

This trip - and your redemptions - is AMAZING. Are your redemptions for flights per person? For the WA Maldives, is that 600k total or per night? I only see 550 - 600k per night on their site and if it is per night, any advice on accumulating that amount of HH points? I'm a little over 200k and thought I was doing great. :D

Question for those who have made the initial room reservation/deposit online (for WDW) and then wanted to pay the rest of the amount prior to arrival... how do you do that? The rep with whom I canceled my original Dapper Days reservation said it was possible but I don't see a place to make any further payments. It just says "remainder due at check in."

Question for those who have made the initial room reservation/deposit online (for WDW) and then wanted to pay the rest of the amount prior to arrival... how do you do that? The rep with whom I canceled my original Dapper Days reservation said it was possible but I don't see a place to make any further payments. It just says "remainder due at check in."

If it's room only you have to call the regular 800 number. They don't let you do it online. Super annoying since you can make payments online for packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter