I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a PC laptop? It may come as a shock to many people here, but I usually purchase Apple products. 🤣 I am researching PCs for my sister who wants speed, portability, and good battery life. I feel like the Dell XPS 13 looks nice, but I am not sure if there is something better out there.
My Dell laptop is just over a year old, I hate it. I hate it so much that after 6 months I bought my first (little) Macbook, appropriately named Finally-A-Mac. But, the Dell is bigger and has more space for all of my files (web design, I have a TON of files) so I still use it, and I haven't bought a Mac keyboard yet. I've sent it off to my tech support (DH) a few times already and he gets it working nicely for a few weeks. I will never buy another one. I almost want to drive over and throw it at the Dell headquarters. There is no reason running Photoshop and Lightroom or even Adobe reader should crash this blasted machine. I get the new laptops, then pass my old down to DH, then to the kids. I'm not sure anyone will want this one lol

This one is Inspiron 5770. My previous Dell was perfectly fine, though didn't make it past one pass down. I'm sure there are decent Dell computers out there, but not this one.

We have one really great very old Asus that is still limping along. We have a newer cheaper Asus that sucks. The others are Toshiba and maybe HP which seem to be pretty good.

My Dell laptop is just over a year old, I hate it. I hate it so much that after 6 months I bought my first (little) Macbook, appropriately named Finally-A-Mac. But, the Dell is bigger and has more space for all of my files (web design, I have a TON of files) so I still use it, and I haven't bought a Mac keyboard yet. I've sent it off to my tech support (DH) a few times already and he gets it working nicely for a few weeks. I will never buy another one. I almost want to drive over and throw it at the Dell headquarters. There is no reason running Photoshop and Lightroom or even Adobe reader should crash this blasted machine. I get the new laptops, then pass my old down to DH, then to the kids. I'm not sure anyone will want this one lol

This one is Inspiron 5770. My previous Dell was perfectly fine, though didn't make it past one pass down. I'm sure there are decent Dell computers out there, but not this one.

We have one really great very old Asus that is still limping along. We have a newer cheaper Asus that sucks. The others are Toshiba and maybe HP which seem to be pretty good.
Thank you for your thorough review!

I actually purchased a different Dell Inspiron with good specs, but read some crazy things online and it is going back to Best Buy. Sounds similar to your issues. Can't handle basic tasks. Definitely something to avoid!

I have seen Asus out there and am pretty sure Costco has one on sale. It is sad that all the newer and lighter units are expensive and not lasting a long time. They all seem to also have USB-C everything when that just isn't practical! She currently has a Toshiba Portege and loves the thing, but I think Toshiba has spun off its PC business into Dynabook? I should see how they are reviewed. I also saw an HP Envy that had nice specs. Seems like it should be a contender.

Oh my, and I thought getting in for 8-ish am was early. I respect getting in early to leave early though. I do the same. It makes traffic much more bearable, but it is why I nap 🤣
Dh said it saves him about 30 minutes driving home. His work also has such a big parking lot that they have a shuttle. If he gets there early enough he can park right by the door and not worry about that

Not trying to be political, but I know a lot of people have December trips booked and were wondering about Trump's visit to the Grand. Looks like it is moving to Miami on the same day. Hopefully Miami or Fort Lauderdale is affected and MCO is off the hook!

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando...-dinner-with-trump-from-disney-world-to-miami
Thanks for letting folks know! 👍

I’d also hope that nobody here would assume you were being political. I’m sure we have folks on both sides of the fence here in this group but any discussion on this need not involve politics.

I am happy to see that they moved the event for the sake of folks vacationing at that time. The level of security that would’ve surrounded that would have been very impactful and unfair to people who spent a lot of money on a Disney trip. I would’ve made this exact statement regardless of the party and politicians involved.

I would advise anybody else who wishes to comment on this to avoid any divisive comments, since we are all merely churners trying to find our way in this great churning world LOL!

Thanks for letting folks know! 👍

I’d also hope that nobody here would assume you were being political. I’m sure we have folks on both sides of the fence here in this group but any discussion on this need not involve politics.

I am happy to see that they moved the event for the sake of folks vacationing at that time. The level of security that would’ve surrounded that would have been very impactful and unfair to people who spent a lot of money on a Disney trip. I would’ve made this exact statement regardless of the party and politicians involved.

I would advise anybody else who wishes to comment on this to avoid any divisive comments, since we are all merely churners trying to find our way in this great churning world LOL!

Well I think it's good news for those staying at the GF. My friend was in Atlanta last week and had inadvertently booked the same hotel as the president. She told me it was a zoo with the secret service all over the place, a mess in the lobby, extra security everywhere, etc. and it really affected the service as guests (even the check in process was a mess). I prefer to avoid stays whenever there is a high profile visitor, political or otherwise. Nothing to do with politics, I just like a nice, quiet stay with good service.

I love that he gets home so early. It gives him time to go run, then we eat dinner at like 4-4:30, then we go on long walks or watch tv together
Y'all remind me a lot of us when we were young and without kiddos yet! We actually lived in a different part of Denver back then and my dh had a lot of traffic on his commute so he would go in super early to avoid that. When I commuted to a similar area, I also left early (5:30am!). Then I went back to school for my masters and worked PT at the university. Dh would go in early still and get home early to run/workout (we did kickboxing together lol!) and we'd go for walks to a park by us that always had softball or baseball games going. Fun times! Then babies came and it was still fun times but things just changed. Our first never slept well so he and I both would end up hearing her and getting up a lot. He just kind of gradually had to move his work day back to get in a bit more sleep.

He's been all over the place over the years. I think his 7-5 now is really nice. It allows him to be home for an early dinner (short commute now) and we can still workout together or just spend time with the kids. He works a 9-hour day M-TR so he is off every other Friday. I love that so much!

Well I think it's good news for those staying at the GF. My friend was in Atlanta last week and had inadvertently booked the same hotel as the president. She told me it was a zoo with the secret service all over the place, a mess in the lobby, extra security everywhere, etc. and it really affected the service as guests (even the check in process was a mess). I prefer to avoid stays whenever there is a high profile visitor, political or otherwise. Nothing to do with politics, I just like a nice, quiet stay with good service.

My office building in downtown LA has a floor dedicated to Secret Service, which means that when he’s in town he stays at the hotel next door. It was a miserable commuting experience on those days, but my heart went out to the other guests trying to get in and out of the hotel with security stopping every person to see proof of their stay, being unable to pull up to the hotel due to street closures, etc.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a PC laptop? It may come as a shock to many people here, but I usually purchase Apple products. 🤣 I am researching PCs for my sister who wants speed, portability, and good battery life. I feel like the Dell XPS 13 looks nice, but I am not sure if there is something better out there.
Love my Dell XPS. I looked at that, Surface Laptop and Macbook. Decided I wanted Windows Laptop and then preferred the Dell colors (mine is Rose Gold). I have had it for almost a year and it is wonderful. So glad I sprang for something decent.

Inspiron and XPS are very different IMO. I had an Inspiron my sister gave to me and hated it too. XPS is an ultrabook similar to a macbook.

My Dh gets to work by 6:30 so he can leave at 3:30
Before private school, we always got in at 6 am, which means we were up at 4 am, to get off at 2:30 pm. I loved that schedule. Now that I have to do school drop-off, it is later schedule. And Wed, particularly suck, since it is late start for school and DS doesn’t get dropped off until 8:30 am which means I don’t get in until 9 am or so. I’ve been working 6 hours those days and taking 2 hours of credit. I am not sitting in the crazy beltway traffic.

Datapoint on the Lowe’s chase offer on my cfu. Made the purchase for 15% off any purchase up to $20 on Saturday the 16th. Bought a $133 Disney gift card. Received the $20 which credited today. That was super fast for a Chase offer. I’m used to it taking a week. Seems the Chase offers are crediting much faster now.

I actually purchased a different Dell Inspiron with good specs, but read some crazy things online and it is going back to Best Buy. Sounds similar to your issues. Can't handle basic tasks. Definitely something to avoid!

I have seen Asus out there and am pretty sure Costco has one on sale. It is sad that all the newer and lighter units are expensive and not lasting a long time. They all seem to also have USB-C everything when that just isn't practical! She currently has a Toshiba Portege and loves the thing, but I think Toshiba has spun off its PC business into Dynabook? I should see how they are reviewed. I also saw an HP Envy that had nice specs. Seems like it should be a contender.

I have an HP Envy x360 with an i7 processor and I love it! Size wise it's small 13.3 inch, and that was one of my main criteria so as to carry it easily wherever I go on vacations. I've had it for several years -2 plus - I got it in 2017. And, TBH, I mostly read email and message boards on it and download photos. It's never had any issues. I know I could probably get along with a tablet of some sort, but I prefer my small laptop. Battery life is great and it charges relatively fast. Don't ask me anything technical as I'm clueless, but this is my 6th laptop over the last 20 or so years. My first one was a Sony :).

The HP Envy was around $1K when I bought it at Costco. I tried out several others and returned them at the time to Best Buy and Costco until I found one that felt good. Ps - I can get tech answers by asking daughter if you like.

Last edited:

It really depends on what she plans to use the laptop for. That will make all the difference. Some programs require many more resources than others. We only buy Dell at work and rarely have problems. We buy Latitude laptops because they are the business class, but they do well for us. Four year replacement schedule for regular use, then we reimage and place them in an infrequent use area for another few years. The Inspiron is not one I’d recommend- XPS is definitely better.

I’d personally stay away from any of the less expensive brands; Dell or HP are the way to go. Check out Costco’s Black Friday deals and get the best spec you can- i7, 16GB +RAM, good size HD. They also offer the additional tech support, which is awesome :-)

Or, make her a Mac convert and listen to her sing your praises for years. Windows isn’t allowed in my house :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter