I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serve question.

I've dipped my toe into the world of MS by getting a handful of visa and mastercard gift cards at Safeway this past week on sale (and using my Freedom card to earn bonus points, since I can meet my current MSRs without this spend). I've gone to Family Dollar & Dollar General and loaded all of those funds onto a Serve green card I had previously signed up for but never used.

Is there any strategy necessary for transferring that money into my checking account? I guess I mean: do I need to break it up into multiple "organic looking" transfers or is it okay to just pull it all out now that it's loaded up?

If you ever have the chance to go to the one in Ybor City, go! I love the Columbia. Of course, I love Cuban food. :banana:
We love Columbia!!! The food is amazing. We ate there Thanksgiving morning a few years ago after my cousins wedding the night before. We’ve been itching to go back. We ate at the Clearwater location. The best salad and their shrimp tapas was amazing (Gambas Al Ajillo). I just realized they have a location in Celebration. We may need to spend some Amex Uber credits to get there in August.

Ok. I broke down and checked the automated status line tonight, and DW has been approved for CIP3 with a $9k CL!

CIP1: Opened 9/17, closed 10/18
CIP2: Approved 3/11/19, still open with CL reduced to $1k as of a month ago.
Also open: CIU approved in 9/18 ($5k CL), and a CIC approved in 12/18 ($1k CL).

Tagging @DisneyMandC, @elgerber, and @disneymagicgirl — thanks for waiting along with me this weekend. I hope you all hear your good news soon!

Congratulations! :cheer2:

Last edited:

Don’t worry, you’re in good company. @amalone1013 is Mother Superior of the Shunnery and she’s got snacks.
Coding as dining! Though there is now a 10 cent charge to use a credit card :badpc: C'mon, all we wanted was a vending machine of refrigerated items that didn't break for days at a time and then just got... turned back on 🤢

PSA: More DPs suggest that AA eGCs are once again getting reimbursed by the Amex airline fee credit

Earlier this week, u/UCUCUC reported on r/churning that he purchased a $150 AA eGC from giftcards.aa.com with his Amex Platinum card on 6/5/19, and received an airline reimbursement credit on 6/7/19.
u/UCUCUC updated his DP today with another GC purchase of $50 on his Platinum card, and was reimbursed again for the $16 credit remaining on his airline fee credit benefit.

He also referenced the FlyerTalk airline fee reimbursements reports thread for AA, where the following update is pinned: in June 2019 it appears American Airlines has again changed the coding of payment card transactions. Gift Card purchases are no longer explicitly identified, and we have two reports that the benefit counter shows pending reimbursements.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...00-100-reimbursement-reports-aa-only-124.html
Per the most recent FT DPs, virtual GC purchases go pending as "AA ARC" and post as "American Airlines." There's nothing identifying the transaction as a GC or as misc taxes/fees. FT's DPs seem to be waiting for the actual reimbursement to post, but the airline fee credit counter on the benefits dashboard went down by the GC purchase amount.

It's somewhat interesting that AA GCs seem to be triggering the Amex airline fee credit during the same period of dates when SW GCs stopped crediting. I don't know what to make of this. Again, if you've already selected Southwest as your airline for the credit, you can chat with Amex and request a change if you haven't used any of your annual credit benefit yet.

For now, it appears AA GCs are an option again to use up the airline fee credit on Amex Platinum, Business Platinum, Gold, and Hilton Aspire cards. I don't have any recommendation whether you should jump on this right now while DPs are still developing or wait until more DPs come in and risk the coding changing to remove this option in the meantime.

Good luck!

ETA: DoC is reporting it:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amer...ing-to-trigger-amex-travel-incidental-credit/

PSA: You may want to wait on developing DPs before switching your selected airline for the Amex airline fee credit benefit or purchasing AA GCs with the expectation of reimbursement. Newest DPs are saying the transaction details contain “Gift Certificate,” which has previously caused the reimbursement to not post.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...00-100-reimbursement-reports-aa-only-126.html

Heads up, some changes to Citi AA bonus language. Goes to 48 months from 24 but also changes it for only the Platinum cards, if I read it right. I'm not an expert so no commentary from me. I'll just leave you with DoCs announcement

ETA: post from DoC's site with links to the language
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/is-c...up-bonus-restriction-to-48-month-restriction/
So the general consensus is that this is a good thing (or at worst nothing) as long as it doesn’t affect mailers. Obviously time will tell on whether they’ve made any other changes here.

@DisneyMandC I know you'll see it on my goodreads but for you and anyone else that likes WWII historical fiction that also jumps to "present" 2015 day with her granddaughter learning about her grandmother during the war, read The Paris Seamstress. It's by far the best out of all of them I've read so far. I hadn't intended to read about 2/3 of it finishing it today but I didn't want to put it down. I rarely, and I'm not sure I have before, give 5 stars to any book on goodreads but I did on this one.

ETA Oh and she moves from France to the US during the early part of the war so it's different from others in that aspect.

Why do I come up with crazy ideas at night?

The latest is if I bought DVC direct floated over a few cards. I remember last year I could have started with a 75 point master contract direct (I would verify if this is still an option with my guide). If I referred my sister and mother (who I would be putting on the contract) and referred them both to a CIP and I myself could get CIP 3, that would be 240,000 bonus URs, 60,000 referral URs, and 45,000 URs for travel totaling 345,000 which is 3,450 or 5,175 redeemed for travel via CSR.

Now, I know there are a lot of what ifs (75 point master contract, approval of all the CIPs, timing with if DVC has my desired resort/UY, etc), but I’m thinking a “discount” of almost $5,000 on a direct contract is a pretty nice possibility/trade-off to a small resale contract.

Don't worry, it's just an inside joke.

I think the only thing worse than not supporting a fellow DISer with a click is supporting TPG with a click.

Brian Kelly, aka "The Points Guy," started a blog about racking up credit card points and using them for cheap or free travel. The blog took off, and a few years ago Kelly sold the TPG site to Bankrate for millions of dollars (making Brian Kelly a millionaire and an even bigger d-bag than he already was), and he remains the editor and "face" of TPG. Bankrate, now owned by Red Ventures, also bought up Million Mile Secrets and Mommy Points, among other points and miles blogs and sites.

These blogs make money from a combination of digital advertising and affiliate links (the referral links to credit card offers that are littered throughout their articles and websites). For an idea just how much money TPG made in advertising dollars from the banks over the past 2-3 years, see a previous post here and some of my thoughts on the matter. As for their affiliate links that direct you to apply for credit cards, these are not your normal referral links. They don't pay in points or miles, and aren't capped per year. Every approved application generated from an affiliate link could pay the site $10 or $20 on the low end, to $200-$300+ for the super premium cards. Here's an old post that'll give you some idea what kind of money these bloggers are making when someone applies through their link.

As I've said before, if TPG (and any other blogger) is taking thousands or millions of dollars from the banks to push these banks' products, you really need to question whether the site is in it for their own pecuniary interest or the best interest of their readers in getting the best signup offer. [Normally, I'd have examples to cite here, but I'm on my phone and it's Father's Day, so forgive me if I generalize a little from memory.]

TPG will always sell you the worse deal because they are in the banks' pocket. Banks are constantly changing up their offers to generate interest in their card products. Sometimes the banks’ marketing affiliates like TPG will get links to the new, better offers first; other times, it can take a few days from when the banks announce a new offer and make it publicly available to when the affiliates get their links to the offer. TPG (and other bloggers) will actually withhold news of a better offer and continue to push the old offer until they have affiliate links that pay for the better offer. And then generally, TPG (and other bloggers) will sensationalize their affiliate offers as the “best ever,” or more than the previous offer, without also explaining how and where their readers can get a better deal. A few examples here include shilling the 40k Rapid Rewards points offers on the Southwest personal cards for much of this year when folks here were applying for the personal cards at 50k miles using in-flight links. (40k combined with a 60k SUB on the SW Biz would still put a TPG reader almost 10k miles short of a Companion Pass, whereas a link to a 50k SUB and the 60k SW Biz SUB would get us automatic Companion Pass for up to two years). Also, TPG’s been promoting the Amex Gold card at 35k Membership Rewards points (and to be fair mentions that some people may be targeted for 50k MR offers through Cardmatch); but doesn’t share that getting targeted on Cardmatch is pretty hard but pulling up the 50k MR offer on most any browser in incognito mode is really easy. Even with the recent re-release of the Rose Gold card, TPG will have you think if you want the “Rose Gold” card, you need to apply via referral (or their links) and the best offer you’ll get is 40k MR; but doesn’t share that you can apply for the “Gold” card via the incognito method for 50k MR, and just ask Amex chat to send you the “Rose Gold” color if that’s what you want. And not to mention that you can get better SUB offers on most cards by using various methods of referral/self-referral (i.e., not using affiliate links), targeted mailers and offers, incognito, Cardmatch, and dummy bookings. But of course TPG won’t share any of this because it doesn’t earn the site any money, and in fact takes clicks away from their affiliate links.

So where does Doctor of Credit come down on all this? DoC doesn’t have or accept any affiliate links from the banks. DoC has affiliate links up for Amazon and eBay, and has a few affiliate or referral links to various apps or services, which they only push if their readers get something out of it. William and Chuck at DoC are about as honest and forthcoming as they get in the points and miles blogosphere.

Before you use a link, always ask yourself (and even the rest of us here), are you getting the best deal? Bloggers fall on a spectrum. Some are less shilly than others. Here at DISchurners, we’re not professional pushers and we’re more or less like you. We try to give the best advice we can and call things as we see them.

I hope you didn’t take any offense at my little in joke. Don’t worry, you’re in good company. @amalone1013 is Mother Superior of the Shunnery and she’s got snacks.
:rotfl2:
Wow! Very informing! I learn so much from lurking on this board. Thank you so much!

Guys I put an offer in for a DVC Grand Californian contract!! 100 points at $199 a point. SO made me offer the asking price. It’s contingent on financing. I can’t afford a 25k wedding and a 20k DVC contract in the same year lol.

Pixie dust sent your way on the financing and passing ROFR! I've been eyeing Grand Californian resale contracts for some time now.

There you go making me think I should cash out my MRs towards an Aulani contract...

I'm now over 750k MR btw. :goodvibes

Now why did you go and put that idea in MY head :badpc:

* Chanting a new mantra*

mrs-urs.jpg

Why do I come up with crazy ideas at night?

The latest is if I bought DVC direct floated over a few cards. I remember last year I could have started with a 75 point master contract direct (I would verify if this is still an option with my guide). If I referred my sister and mother (who I would be putting on the contract) and referred them both to a CIP and I myself could get CIP 3, that would be 240,000 bonus URs, 60,000 referral URs, and 45,000 URs for travel totaling 345,000 which is 3,450 or 5,175 redeemed for travel via CSR.

Now, I know there are a lot of what ifs (75 point master contract, approval of all the CIPs, timing with if DVC has my desired resort/UY, etc), but I’m thinking a “discount” of almost $5,000 on a direct contract is a pretty nice possibility/trade-off to a small resale contract.

Admittedly, it’s 3 am, so I just want to make sure I’m understanding that you’d buy direct floated on several new CIPs with MSRs to hit, get the SUBs, support bonuses, and 3x UR on the DVC “travel” purchase, then cash out all these URs to pay off some of the purchase? You’d need to cash out at 1 cpp, since the 1.5x redemption towards travel on the CSR is only through the UR portal, not as an eraser against travel charges on other cards.

Ok. I broke down and checked the automated status line tonight, and DW has been approved for CIP3 with a $9k CL!

Tagging @DisneyMandC, @elgerber, and @disneymagicgirl — thanks for waiting along with me this weekend. I hope you all hear your good news soon!
Congratulations!!

Now why did you go and put that idea in MY head :badpc:

* Chanting a new mantra*

View attachment 409731

LOL! I know. I know. But it’s so many points for 3 people (when one of them isn’t contributing — freeloader!). I just need to keep remembering my kiddo in awe of Cameron Diaz’s lie flat seat in The Holiday (“Wow, her airplane seat is so big she can lie down and sleep in it!”) and remind myself that’s why I do this.

Congrats party:

First and foremost... approved for CIP2 overnight!!! Got CIP1 last May, closed it 11 days ago. Off to expedite it and hope it’s here by the time I leave for a horse show Wednesday!

You rebel you!! :rotfl2:Although now that I see it used, I have to squint to know its the middle finger, looks more like the "we're number 1" sign.

Yeah, I was totally just telling @Lain he was number 1... :rotfl2:

:cool1::banana:

@DisneyMandC I know you'll see it on my goodreads but for you and anyone else that likes WWII historical fiction that also jumps to "present" 2015 day with her granddaughter learning about her grandmother during the war, read The Paris Seamstress. It's by far the best out of all of them I've read so far. I hadn't intended to read about 2/3 of it finishing it today but I didn't want to put it down. I rarely, and I'm not sure I have before, give 5 stars to any book on goodreads but I did on this one.

ETA Oh and she moves from France to the US during the early part of the war so it's different from others in that aspect.

Thanks!! I am currently having book anxiety as FOUR audiobooks from the library came in at once :oops: Good thing I listen on 1.5x speed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter