I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great news! CONGRATS to you & DH!!!

:cool1::banana::cool1:

I know how bummed he was after the first FL interview didn't go well, so hopefully this takes away the sting. Hope the move is everything you want it to be!
Thank you so much! Yes, he was feeling down, but he was given 6 offers in total so he's feeling much more confident now. One of the places today was on the phone with him for over an hour trying to get him to come to them lol

Yeah, because there’s talk that AA will be scrapping their award charts too.

Ok, that's a fun roller coaster of a day. Blech. Oh well, at least it's only 2K MSR on the CitiBiz AA I got approved for today. Forget about doing one for DH. He only has 13K AA miles in his account anyway. If I get the sign up on this one I'll be over 200K and that's got to be good for something right? :sad2:

Congrats! Excited for you guys as you begin this next chapter of life. Where do your parents live now?
They live about two hours from us, but my mom wants to move back south so bad. They visit Gulf Shores every year for about a month. They just started doing that last year. They also go back down again for the Shrimp Festival in October. My grandma is 92 or 93 so I think my dad is hesitant, which I understand, but at the same time they have to live their lives, too. My mom started crying on the phone tonight because she was telling Dh how proud she was of him. She's too cute lol. We're about 85% sure my dad will be coming down with us and my mom might or might not. She works for my uncle in the paint department at his lumberyard and the dates we wanted to go down is their ONE week out of the entire year they have a paint sale so she might have to stay for that.

In actual CC news, my 20k URs are now pending since I referred Dh to his CIP #2. It was a good day here! And we got some spend on his CIP because we bought Tokyo Dome baseball tickets which I'm SUPER stoked about.

Mine are pending too! So excited. I checked earlier and they were not there. Had a little panic because I know people say they post on Tuesday. This is my first UR support click so I wasn’t sure. Haven’t made it very far on spend yet.

Yeah, 6 mos of winter is a very long winter. Ours is not anything like that here in CO.

Thanks to all who answered my question. I didn't realize the weather was *that* bad but I guess it makes sense. I just always grew up thinking the NE was such a desirable place to live so I was pretty shocked to see that so many are moving out.

Most of my friends here are transplants from the NE. It's hard to find CA natives my age. And most of my friends in the NE either want to move to FL or want to become "snow birds."

Colorado actually offered more, but when you compare it to housing costs it’s a big difference. Also the Florida company offered a sign on bonus while the Colorado one said they won’t do that.

You forgot one the best reasons - you'd be super close to WDW!!!

I liked the message in the last paragraph that airline miles are not an investment. Easier to help me think about this whole practice through the lens of short term goals instead of a trip 5 years from now. Currently i am overwhelmed with all the possibilities you are all exploring. I just need to focus!

Yep, it's definitely good to keep that in mind. It's harder when you don't have a destination in mind, but that's the game I've been playing. I found that collecting general points rather than points for one airline worked best in that situation. We went for MRs and used them to go to Europe last summer, booked tickets back there for this Fall, and are planning to use up the rest in 2020. Some people go for URs instead. I have a bunch of AA miles but found it much harder to use them compared to the MRs since I was limited to fewer airlines, etc. I was hoping to use them for our last trip but it wasn't working so I just spend the MRs.

Well Dh took the offer and we are officially moving to Florida!!!

We’re tentatively planning on flying down the weekend after Easter and my parents might be going with. We’re able to get pretty cheap tickets to Orlando from our local airport.

We’ve started looking at houses and researching about the area more. It just doesn’t feel real yet. One really cool part of this is Dh will be working on Navy planes and my brother flies jets for the navy.

Congratulations!!! So happy for you!!!:cheer2:

Trash panda!

:rotfl: OMG I haven't heard them called that before, but it's the perfect name for them! They come out of the storm drains and night sometimes and make a mess of the neighborhood.

Mine are pending too! So excited. I checked earlier and they were not there. Had a little panic because I know people say they post on Tuesday. This is my first UR support click so I wasn’t sure. Haven’t made it very far on spend yet.

Same here! I also checked earlier and didn't see anything, so I had to go check after seeing your post and yep, they're there. Yay!

I was in the exact same boat as you. I checked this morning and they weren't pending, but I checked again night and they were. We haven't made it very far on the spend either, but with Japan and the move I'm sure we'll meet it quickly. We will most likely fly down to Florida twice before we move so that's plane tickets and hotels that we might pay for and get reimbursed back.

Most of my friends here are transplants from the NE. It's hard to find CA natives my age. And most of my friends in the NE either want to move to FL or want to become "snow birds."

You forgot one the best reasons - you'd be super close to WDW!!!

Yep, it's definitely good to keep that in mind. It's harder when you don't have a destination in mind, but that's the game I've been playing. I found that collecting general points rather than points for one airline worked best in that situation. We went for MRs and used them to go to Europe last summer, booked tickets back there for this Fall, and are planning to use up the rest in 2020. Some people go for URs instead. I have a bunch of AA miles but found it much harder to use them compared to the MRs since I was limited to fewer airlines, etc. I was hoping to use them for our last trip but it wasn't working so I just spend the MRs.

Congratulations!!! So happy for you!!!:cheer2:

:rotfl: OMG I haven't heard them called that before, but it's the perfect name for them! They come out of the storm drains and night sometimes and make a mess of the neighborhood.
One tip I've been given about moving to Florida is making sure most of the neighbors in the neighborhood are permanent residents because so many people come down just for the winter. If your neighbors all leave in the summer you might have no one living near you which we definitely don't want.

I haven't decided yet if we'll be getting APs or not. We don't have a Disney trip planned this year and I'm actually not sure I want one with SWGE opening. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I would like to go to Universal for Hagrid's coaster.

You've never heard them called trash pandas before?!

You've never heard them called trash pandas before?!

Seriously never. Just raccoons. We don't see them often, but my aunt & uncle live on the other side of the bay and they had so much trouble with them that he finally built an enclosure for the trash cans and it only kept them out after he put an actual padlock on it. I guess they haven't figured out how to pick locks yet.

Well Dh took the offer and we are officially moving to Florida!!!

We’re tentatively planning on flying down the weekend after Easter and my parents might be going with. We’re able to get pretty cheap tickets to Orlando from our local airport.

We’ve started looking at houses and researching about the area more. It just doesn’t feel real yet. One really cool part of this is Dh will be working on Navy planes and my brother flies jets for the navy.

Very exciting! Congrats!!

Seriously never. Just raccoons. We don't see them often, but my aunt & uncle live on the other side of the bay and they had so much trouble with them that he finally built an enclosure for the trash cans and it only kept them out after he put an actual padlock on it. I guess they haven't figured out how to pick locks yet.
This is a terrible video, but these are some smart racoons:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/bb6kgs/discussion_thread_april_09_2019/ekhzcew/

Seriously...SERIOUSLY??? :confused3 And this is an experienced churner who to my knowledge has been doing this for like 2 years!

EDIT: If you're newer to the game, I'd check this comment out just to see what can go wrong. Don't play with FIRE (and not the early retirement kind of fire ;) hahaha).

My response was:
You've been at this for like 2 years or something, haven't you? C'mon man...this is a newbie level comment...

1) You trusted a CSR to calculate if you met your MSR or not
2) You didn't meet the MSR until 2 weeks prior to the 3 month period
3) You were including airline credit spend which we ALWAYS advocate to not include if for no other reason than to just do the right thing (i.e. "this is why we can't have nice things" clause)
4) And then despite it being 100% and totally your fault you're blaming AMEX for it? The only unbelievable thing here is that you posted this. I'd totally not expect this from a name I recognize here as a veteran.

That said - I'm sorry you lost out on the points, I never want to see that happen. I guess consider this a lesson learned. Use the spreadsheet, add up your spend, never include statement credits/returns/etc in the MSR (just do the right thing there), and don't trust a CSR...
Don't be this guy :) Make sure you hit your MSRs!

This is such a bizarre thing to me. I don't understand why people still talk to/trust Amex CSRs. I've seen DP after DP of people chatting with CSRs to verify spend, and there's always a discrepancy between what they think they have, and the CSR says they have. Always. According to every DP I've ever read, Amex CSRs are wholly incapable of doing math (or they're just flat-out missing line items, which to be fair does seem reasonable if you have a lot of purchases). I don't see why anyone would ever trust an Amex CSR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter