I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...they gave me those credits when I called for a retention offer

Then I could see how those could be counted more like referrals, i.e. "earned income" vs signup bonuses as "rebates" IF you received the retention offer without agreeing to additional spend. BUT if you had to meet some min. spend then I would think it's more of a rebate.

Then I could see how those could be counted more like referrals, i.e. "earned income" vs signup bonuses as "rebates" IF you received the retention offer without agreeing to additional spend. BUT if you had to meet some min. spend then I would think it's more of a rebate.

my guess is retention bonus is used to offset the AF. People call in usually to cancel because they dont want to pay the AF. Therefore, retention bonus would be used to offset that.
but i do see this in a very grey area.

edit: i guess im wrong... it does show up. :\

Happy card news this morning. DH called AMEX a second time to see if they'd give him a retention offer on his Plat and this time they did! 50K, no spend needed. I was so happy. Now I read it'll be taxed LOL. Still better than nothing.

There is a targeted amex offer for $10 off $25 at grubhub. I didn't have it on my account but dd had it on her au rose gold card.

Thanks for the heads up - I grabbed that one!

LOL-a friend of mine did my epidural and he was so dreamy (kid you not) that I didn't want to speak up and tell him it wasn't working on half my body. Life lesson: don't let a super cute longtime crush do your epidural:laughing:. So I've had the experience of with/without for childbirth and have an only child :teeth:

You beat me to it! I have it on my gold too, so happy Monday morning to me! I looked at the St Regis offer but since it wasn't on my SPG Lux didn't add it. I'm getting greedy, wanting as many benefits as possible.

OMG mine didn't work. It was not done by a dreamy guy - he was old and I figure he didn't do a good job. Never again! Grateful for my one and only.

Looked in my informed delivery and there is a 20% off everything coupon for BBB. Haven't gotten one of those in forever. And then I realized it was not in my name but had my younger daughter's name on it. I'll still be using it when I need to.

That coupon is the unicorn coupon offer discussed on every college board. I think it's a once a year thing. So much better than collecting tons of the one items ones. We used it when we took DD to college and saved a bundle.

Agree no additional spend was required

Dear Chase Travel Portal, why can't I book this room for 2 adults and 2 kids?! Ugh.

3rjvQWZl.png

The King room is about 8600 points. Both rooms are 25K Marriott points. Marriott says the king has a pull out and we'll be using an air mattress anyway. I could always take 2. Would you just book it for 2 adults and 1 kid? It's for softball tournament, the hotel is going to be overrun by kids anyway.

I have to hold off until we know this hotel is where we're staying since these are all non-refundable, what's up with that?! Three price points ($129, $139, $149) and all look exactly the same.

my guess is retention bonus is used to offset the AF. People call in usually to cancel because they dont want to pay the AF. Therefore, retention bonus would be used to offset that.
but i do see this in a very grey area.

edit: i guess im wrong... it does show up. :\
Don't tell AMEX... they'll start adding the retention bonus points with no spend.

I agree to an extent, but in this case the offer has been worded that it's offset for the fee, at least it was for us. When I called to fish for a retention offer the second rep specially asked if it was the annual fee for why I was considering cancelling the card, so I said that was the main reason but when she looked for offers on my account I had none. When hubby called the other week and mentioned the fee, the rep said they could offer a $35 credit to reduce the fee if he kept the card (or something like that, I wasn't on that call). So I get the quid pro quo vibe from those offers (pay the fee and we'll give you a rebate to keep the card) rather than something like getting a statement credit on a no AF card. That I can see as income, like the referrals, but otherwise I still spent money to have the card. Probably boils down to semantics on is a fee a purchase? I say yes, I purchased the privilege of using your card :)

I know this has come up before... any recommendations for a hotel near Port Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center? Bonus points if it is a Starriott I can use a 35k cert at.

Currently looking at Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach (top just because I can do 1bdrm suites with the certs), Courtyard Cocoa Beach, Fairfield Titusville, Towneplace Suites Titusville, and Four Points Cocoa Beach.

We're just staying one night, will be doing KSC both days 6pm so also bonus points for good dinner recommendations for people who mostly don't eat seafood.

I got a targeted mailer for CIP addressed to my first name middle initial last name, and it has an invitation code. I already have a CIP under my first name last name, it's one of 3 Chase Biz cards under my SSN and I'm currently 5/24. My CIC is under first name middle initial last name and that's who the mailer is addressed to (also this one has a separate login from my other 2 Chase Biz cards). I'm not sure what to make of this, and if by being targeted it bypasses 5/24. Plus, if a 2nd CIP were to work for me I'd want to use DH's link, but if using the invitation code makes it more likely for me to get a 2nd CIP then I'd rather do that. Decisions, decisions.

Still nothing from Amex or Chase on informed delivery, if the mail comes today. The plow went by south without doing anything then went by north actually plowing. Both lanes were bad so I don't understand. Haven't seen it go by again. So weird. Also still snowing.

I know this has come up before... any recommendations for a hotel near Port Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center? Bonus points if it is a Starriott I can use a 35k cert at.

Currently looking at Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach (top just because I can do 1bdrm suites with the certs), Courtyard Cocoa Beach, Fairfield Titusville, Towneplace Suites Titusville, and Four Points Cocoa Beach.

We're just staying one night, will be doing KSC both days 6pm so also bonus points for good dinner recommendations for people who mostly don't eat seafood.
Residence Inn is fabulous. We did a 2 bedroom there before our cruise.

Mini WDW Trip Report:
We had an awesome trip despite some crummy weather. I'll give a quick rundown of our days for those interested...

We did 4 nights at Yacht Club and 3 nights at Contemporary (theme park view)

Saturday 1/26: (High = 60 degrees // Cloudy)
  • Flight in was uneventful and on time (good for my wife!)
  • Arriving at noon on a Saturday and DME was not exactly fun...it was busy and took longer than we were used to, but we were patient
  • Room assignment was awesome with a great balcony view of the Boardwalk and could see the Eiffel Tower over in EPCOT.
  • Went to EPCOT, saw Voices of Liberty and American Adventure for the first time ever (crazy I know considering how many times we've been there) and both were very enjoyable!
  • Dinner at Garden Grill was amazing (first time for dinner)! We have had breakfast there twice and enjoyed it so much. Dinner was equally awesome, that place may be our favorite restaurant at Disney.
Sunday 1/27: (High = 55 degrees // RAIN)
  • Rain...Rain...and more Rain. There was a steady downpour that started around 6am Sunday and didn't stop until 4am Monday... Luckily we had rain boots for the girls and wife and rain coats and umbrellas and were prepared for it.
  • We hit DHS and had a great day executing a plan with the least amount of walking possible - we went from attraction to attraction and minimized our rain exposure. It was a great day despite the poor weather but we did miss SW fireworks because of it :(
  • Ate a Sci-Fi, food was good but not one of our fave restaurants. Glad we experienced it once now though.
  • Got to ride Slinky with a 5 minute wait in the evening since the park was basically emptied out by 5pm.
Monday 1/28: (High = 60 degrees // Cloudy)
  • Another great EPCOT day, plan was on point!
  • Spectaculab apparently closed a week or two before we arrived so that was a bummer. (At least Colortopia was still there)
  • We did see the China and France films for the first time
  • Ate at Tutto Italia, food was good but restaurant was too stuffy and authentic for us, lol
  • Watched IllumiNations - we're not big fans of that show, but we enjoyed seeing it one last time
Tuesday 1/29: (High = 68 degrees // Sunny!)
  • This was our only truly sunny day of the trip (which is pretty sad...)
  • We hit DHS again, had a great day and hit the outdoor stuff we missed on the rainy day
  • I tried to do SDD first thing and then execute our plan and that was a mistake - should've settled on one SDD ride, but oh well. It set us behind for the day and made for longer lines for much of the morning (slightly frustrating). The walk to SDD was also very stressful and I try to avoid those situations too.
  • Watched Fantasmic as planned (vs. SW fireworks) as we didn't bring any blankets or towels to sit on while we saved a spot and the benches at Fantasmic sounded better than the concrete by the Chinese theater.
  • Jedi training was fun as usual but we had a bad spot so I could barely get photos of our girls based on how they positioned them
  • My younger daughter rode ToT for the first time and LOVED it, we rode it a second time then! (My older daughter and wife won't ride it, so it's nice to finally have a buddy for that ride)
Wednesday 1/30: (High = 55 degrees // Cloudy)
  • Handed off our luggage at Bell services to transfer to Contemporary
  • Super cold day...we bundled up for it and were prepared but really would've preferred 10 degrees warmer!
  • Had a good day at MK, were there well before open to enjoy a quiet Main St.
  • Hit Frontierland/Adventureland first and enjoyed a much calmer morning than DHS the day prior
  • Ate at Crystal Palace for a LATE breakfast, food and characters were AWESOME
  • Watched the parade as we haven't done that for a few trips
  • Took an afternoon break to settle into resort, got a 10th floor room with a GREAT view of MK. We were very pleased to lay in bed and see the castle!
  • Headed back for evening EMH and experienced a ton of attractions between 7pm and 10pm - it was VERY cold by the end of the night though (low 40s)
Thursday 1/31: (High = 65 degrees // Mostly Cloudy)
  • Another cloudy day but at least the temp was a little better
  • Hit AK this day, and got a late start. NOT a good move...Bus lines were backed up and crazy, park entry lines backed up and crazy, Navi wait was 20 minutes by the time we got there vs. the 5 min I was hoping for...
  • Saw the UP! bird show for the first time, it was ok. My older daughter rode Primeval Whirl for first time and enjoyed that.
  • We made the best of things and still executed the plan and saw everything by 6pm and headed back to the room
  • Skipped Rivers of Light based on all my recommendations from friends here, that was a good call!
  • Watched HEA from our balcony (awesome!) and got to bed early (huge!)
Friday 2/1: (High = 75 degrees // Partly Sunny)
  • Last full day
  • Executed a great plan at MK in the morning, definitely thanks to an awesome night's sleep!
  • Took an afternoon break to pack and nap
  • Rode monorail to Poly for dinner, hit their QS place but just wanted a change of scenery (and had a dole whip :))
  • Headed back to park recharged for HEA, got a GREAT spot right behind a planter railing where our girls could see just standing on their own! Waited 2 hours for the show. Brought tears to my eyes just reflecting on our awesome trip!
  • Hit a couple of rides after the show and then headed back for bed
Saturday 2/2: (High = 75 degrees // Partly Sunny)
  • Packed up and checked bags for airport and for day with bell services
  • Rode Peter Pan first day it was open from refurb
  • Hit our 3 FPs and out final day tradition of lunch at the Plaza
  • Otherwise just hit anytime stuff: CoP, Tiki Room, Country Bear, Friendship Faire show, TTA
  • The airport suicide issue did put a damper and stress on the day, but overall we were super blessed there
SUMMARY
  • A great trip! Made the best of things despite the weather, could've used more SUN though
  • Loved using a written plan, made adjustments each night - this limited our walking SO much which was helpful!
  • Can't wait to go back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter