I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone! This is my first post ever on DisBoards. I do listen to the podcasts and watch the Dis YouTube Channel regularly though. I ran across this thread and found it very interesting and I'm slowly making my way through each page. I'm very interested in Credit Cards and their rewards / points system and am very eager to learn about it. I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a website or a blog that I could read through to learn the basics of it all. I've heard of The Points Guy (seen a few sponsored adds on FB) and a few other blogs out there but I didn't know if there was one that you all recommended to someone who is very new to all of this. Thank you all in advance for any advice you may be able to give me or website you might be able to recommend to me as to where to start.

Welcome to the thread! You can read through all of the pages, but at 2003 and counting it would take too much time, and the situation is always in flux such that what was true back in January of this year may no longer be true now. Maybe focus on the last 30 pages, more if you have the time. Do not expect to learn it all at once, it takes a while for the information to soak in. This does become a rabbit hole, be forewarned.

The Doctor of Credit website is one of my favorite websites to check on a daily basis. I also check FrequentMiler.

As @speedyfishy said, if you provide specific information as outlined on Post #2 of this thread, that will make it easier for us to help you out.

Hoh rain forest is on for tomorrow. We have seen a ton of tall trees and moss so far so I hope we aren't burnt out on that. Saturday we were at one place that looked just like Endor!

Today is hurricane ridge. The one trail, Hurricane Hill, is closed for mountain goat removal. That was my first choice but there are a few other trails open up there.

Yesterday we saw humpbacks, porpoises, sea lions, and a BALD EAGLE. The bald eagle was sitting on some rocks near a lighthouse (some nature preserve but I forget the name.) so very cool.

Glad you are having fun here! I had to laugh at the bald eagle part and then realized we're just spoiled here. We've had one in our backyard which made no sense but I got a pic before it left. There's also a nesting pair down by the river path I run on. Have only seen the photographers but I know where to go if I wanted to see them 😀 I forget they aren't everywhere.

Just went to Giant to buy Visa gift cards. The guy asked if I did it for points. I said yes I get 5% back at grocery stores with my credit card. He then asked how I pay my bill. I was just like oh with my income I pay the bill. I use the gift cards for my normal spend. He then said that some guys come in and use the cards at Walmart to pay their credit card bill. I said I didn’t know you could do that. He said yeah but it’s getting harder lol. Looks like I have some fellow MSers in my area.

Last edited:
Is this a targeted offer?
I saw that online too...tried with Disney GCs and it said not eligible for me...maybe it works for others

Yeah, I'm having trouble getting the offer to work, but it does appear to be targeted. It was based on my membership number and said it was nontransferable.

I think you bought your generator at HD? Most of those generators probably won’t run your house’s AC. The best they will do is portable AC plus fridge plus a few lights. As someone mentioned, a whole house generator will keep you going as if nothing happened but you need a large tank of fuel, probably buried and the permitting requirements for those are stringent. I know you are taking it serious (as everyone should!) and I don’t want you to have surprises in the middle of a storm. Also, make sure you buy enough fuel cans that you can fill before a storm.
Yeah we bought one from HD that was almost $500. Dh said it should run out a/c, fridge, and other things like tv and charging our phones which is really all we would need. Our stove is gas so that should still be fun without electricity. People around here said they don’t get whole house generators because they don’t need them that often

Checking my Amex offers, and I have most of the ones mentioned, and of course NOW I have Bare Minerals offers on all my cards, when I spent $100 there a couple of weeks ago LOL.

Idk if anyone else saw but old navy is doing 50% off everything with free shipping! They also will give you $10 off if you pick it up in the store! We are definitely using this because we were already planning on shopping at old navy.

We also just learned that kohl’s now will ship your amazon returns for free and box them up. They gave us a 25% off coupon for kohl’s when we did this.

Good morning everyone! This is my first post ever on DisBoards. I do listen to the podcasts and watch the Dis YouTube Channel regularly though. I ran across this thread and found it very interesting and I'm slowly making my way through each page. I'm very interested in Credit Cards and their rewards / points system and am very eager to learn about it. I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a website or a blog that I could read through to learn the basics of it all. I've heard of The Points Guy (seen a few sponsored adds on FB) and a few other blogs out there but I didn't know if there was one that you all recommended to someone who is very new to all of this. Thank you all in advance for any advice you may be able to give me or website you might be able to recommend to me as to where to start.

:welcome: I would recommend answering the questions in the 2nd post...then everyone here can give you the best advice for your situation

Yeah... we refuse to have smart speakers in our home. We don't trust Amazon or Google listening in on our private conversations.

My DH buys me the worst presents and Alexa was birthday present 2017. I immediately made him "get that thing out of my house." I have no idea where it went, but it's not here. The one question I asked was "Alexa, why did DH buy you?" Her reply "I do not know." Okay, see, so you're not helpful at all. 🤣

My DH buys me the worst presents and Alexa was birthday present 2017. I immediately made him "get that thing out of my house." I have no idea where it went, but it's not here. The one question I asked was "Alexa, why did DH buy you?" Her reply "I do not know." Okay, see, so you're not helpful at all. 🤣

My father gave me an echo dot, and I keep trying to give it away for the same reasons and no one wants it.

AmEx offer for Oceania Cruises, spend $500 get $150, expires 8/15

Got the Staples and 30% off Technology Providers offers but I don't think I have the Best Buy one (still have to cull some from my card with 100 offers to double check). I got the $75 off Dept Stores over the weekend and was happy about it standing in Macy's with a $70 item in my hand, until I saw that it was online only :headache: Of course it had to be because I needed the only thing in the store not on sale/special/clearance right then. Oh well, it's good through the end of the year so I'm sure we'll end up using it.
Now I'm trying to decide if I add the Staples, etc offers to my BBP AU card or my ED card. Since the BBP has the 2x points I've tended to pick that one if it's on both but that does mean my spend on my account has dropped off... and I don't spend much to begin with. I'm tempted to just say the Extra MR point offer brings me to 2x anyway and conveniently ignore that it would be 3x on the BBP. In the grand scheme of things I'm talking about an extra couple dollars worth of MR points, it's not make or break, and since hubby is not into new cards still all that spend is just making AmEx happy with no fringe benefit to me.

And an Oof, the SPG referral bonus dropped down to 15k Bonbon points. But interestingly enough only on the SPG personal so far. My SPG Biz is still showing 20k. Not sure why the different incentives when the recipient gets to choose their card. Just because I have a cheaper card I get less of an incentive to find you a new Biz holder? Wonder if the stats are showing that people are signing up for the card the referrer actually has rather than a different product. That would suck.

:wave: Finally back to internet and cell service so checking in. I have no idea how many pages I am behind and will probably just read the news on Reddit.

We're almost half way through our 12 day trip to Washington. I'm making great progress on my CIP MSR.

Mt Rainier was amazing. We had two great days of weather and one very cloudy day. Finally on the last day we got to see the very top of Mt Rainier. Now in Port Angeles, focused on Sol Duc and Lake Cresent today. Had beautiful weather today. Hopefully it will hold up. Tomorrow is whale watching.

Oh in churning news, DH's citi AA biz statement closed and I see the 40k bonus miles. That was his 2nd card and used the dummy booking 2k spend for 40k miles + 250 statement credit. I'll buy a gift card next. I was waiting to see if his bonus miles posted.
What was your first card?
This is tough. Amex used to be pretty reliably 2 statements before showing up on your credit report, but more often I've seen them after one statement. I think even getting one mid-August is going to be pushing it, but that's your best shot - hope your first statement closes a little over a month away.
I got the Gold 5\31. It’s not on my credit report yet.

I just received my MR pending points from last month before statement close. I also just received my sub. I didn’t get the sub when I met spend. I also didn’t have to wait until statement close like I was told in chat. I made spend July 5. Statement closes July 29. I really wasn’t expecting the spend points until statement closed.
I should prob wait until sept to be safe. I’m 4/24 and don’t want to risk not getting another chase biz or I’ll be locked out until Jan

An actual cc success story-"DM" got the CSP in June, I met spend immediately (thank you Viking cruise-CSP and Amex Plat upgrade MSRs very easily met). I was able to set up her World of Hyatt account, transfer some of her URs to Hyatt, make reservations for them and DB's family at the MCO Hyatt (2x12K), then print a form for WoH to transfer her remaining points to me (I had 36k so with her 24k I had 60...) and now I have reservations at the Park Hyatt Sydney for 2 nights (30Kx2). :cool1: I've read mixed reports about the room/view on points but with regular rooms going for about 1,000 Australian dollars (about $700), saving $1400+ is a good deal to me.

The transfer of points was super easy-fill out a form, email it and within 24 hours the transfer was met. I wish Hyatt had a larger footprint for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter