I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember with the Southwest consumer credit cards, there's a 24-month bonus restriction across all the consumer cards. You're not eligible for the bonus on any Southwest consumer card if:
  1. You are a current Southwest consumer credit cardholder; or
  2. You have earned a new cardmember bonus on any Southwest consumer credit card (Plus, Premier, or Priority) in the last 24 months.
right. so my thought is
year 1: sw biz A/sw personal for CP
year 2: sw biz B top off points

OR

year 1: sw biz/sw biz for CP
year 2: sw personal to top off points

rise and repeat

Am I missing something or does this work?

I wonder how long the terms of the new SW biz card will stay the same. It seems too good to be true that it won't eventually have the same 24 mo restrictions.

If the terms/SUB stay the same and the CIPpy cup is still flowing in Aug (when I can go for my next Chase card), I'm thinking of going for CIP #3, then Nov try for the SW performance biz but not meet the spend till Jan. That would give me enough RR pts to book May flights, then go for the sw biz (original?) in Feb and get the CP in March/April at latest. I'd go for the biz over the personal since I received the bonus for that a few weeks before the last personal. We'll see if it all works out or if things change by then! I hope so as this pushed up my timeline for my next SW bonus by a few months! :yay:

The 2020 trip is probably going to be at a Beaches Resort--no hotel points options, but it's bookable with the UR we're collecting.

Historically, we've typically stayed at Starwood properties. But with the merger/devaluation I'm less interested in Marriott points. And since I don't have a specific goal in mind I'm hesitant to pay an AF for something branded (though I'm not ruling it out completely). So I guess I'm sort of leaning toward some variety of AmEx MR card at the moment.
I see. I've looked at those beaches resort and goodness they are $$$. Like moreso than DCL for us. And all the cheaper rooms seem to always be sold out. Have you been before? Is there some trick to getting a normal room? Maybe it just requires booking super early.

I will say that for the amex cards with a fee, I find that they are worthwhile b/c of the offers they get. Of course it is YMMV, but I seem to come out ahead on them all. Alternatively, BBP is a good MR earning fee free card.

The 6am update was my wife is going. Luckily I had packed for her yesterday against her wishes so that we at least made sure we had space for her stuff. She said when she woke up she realized that she’d just miss the kids too much and that she can’t let the anxiety win.

Flight takes off at 1pm and we leave for the airport in 30 minutes. I’m running on 4 hours of sleep (plus a 45 min nap that I just had) and have a terrible headache. Thanks all for the prayers - hopefully the rest of the day goes smooth.
I missed your update last night but am so happy to hear she has decided to go. I pray you have a smooth flight and a great vacation.

I wonder how long the terms of the new SW biz card will stay the same. It seems too good to be true that it won't eventually have the same 24 mo restrictions.

If the terms/SUB stay the same and the CIPpy cup is still flowing in Aug (when I can go for my next Chase card), I'm thinking of going for CIP #3, then Nov try for the SW performance biz but not meet the spend till Jan. That would give me enough RR pts to book May flights, then go for the sw biz (original?) in Feb and get the CP in March/April at latest. I'd go for the biz over the personal since I received the bonus for that a few weeks before the last personal. We'll see if it all works out or if things change by then! I hope so as this pushed up my timeline for my next SW bonus by a few months! :yay:
This is kind of my timeline as well. I am really hoping the new card doesn't change.

I've had pageplus forever and I'm ready to switch.... service is getting worse and I'm sick of it(runs on verizon towers supposedly too) I may try total
I switched from pageplus to ting a few years back and it has worked well for us. It runs on T-mobile here. I like that I don't have to remember to buy minutes and I can have alerts set up just in case we're getting anywhere close to the max amount that I want to spend each month.

I’m SO SO SO glad to hear this!! Hugs for you guys and best wishes for an amazing vacation!!

I will admit that we have had trips to Disney in the past where we decided to drive instead of fly about 48 hours before departure (another “hate to fly” person here!)

Chase UR are REALLY helpful for those random along the highway hotel stops. Great values for rooms like those and you can almost always find the chains (Holiday Inn, HIE, Marriott, Hampton Inns etc) for waaaay less points than using points directly. Just something to keep in mind for the future. We do a LOT of quick overnights on the side of the highway due to the fact that I would much rather drive than fly, and we live in the middle of nowhere, so there are very few desirable “destinations” within a day’s drive.

How does it work for using UR like that? Transfer the points to the hotel chain you are stopping at?

We've never been to Beaches, but did Sandals (the same company's "couples" resort line) for our honeymoon years ago and have always wanted to go with the kids. The resort we want (Turks & Caicos) was scheduled to close when we decided to go, though it has since announced that it will stay open. But we're still 90% set on going there.

It is expensive and not a trip we'd consider if we didn't have so many points to use on it. We don't take big trips often with our kids, so spending a big chunk of points on it doesn't bother us.

I'm definitely exploring some of the AmEx options since they seem like solid bets.
Thats the one I've looked at as well. My kids want to go too. We are a family of 6 though and those suites are $$$. I've never been able to compare to 2 regular rooms b/c they always show sold out when I look. Can't wait to hear your review!

I'm thinking we may do Aruba for fall break instead of our usual Sandesin. The Hilton is available at 80k points a night (only 10k more than Sandestin) and we can smuggle an extra kid or two according to my fellow DISers who have stayed there before. x flights are 12.5k each way or SW if theirs come down at all. ATM I don't have many SW points left, and will have enough x miles in a month, so that is what I am waiting on to book. This is exciting!

For those who have done Aruba, do you think 5 nights is sufficient?

Last edited:
I also have flight anxiety, but sending my family without me would be even worse for me. In my twisted mind, if we are going to die, I would rather all do it together. I can’t even imagine if I sent them off without me and something happened and I survived because I didn’t go. I would want to die anyway so might as well do it with them. I hope she decides to go with you.

OMG, this is me often when flying w/o my kids. My kids are always like, gee mom, great to hear you want us ALL to die, LOL.

Niagara Falls

Looking for recommendations for a hotel with a falls view for two nights in July or August. Would have two kids with us, 6 & 4. Anyone been?

I can't remember where we stayed, but it was years ago. It had a "waterfall" pool inside. Are you staying in Canada? We always stayed in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter