I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some thoughts on AMEX please.
I am still waiting for my 80k miles on my Delta Biz plat. I have not wanted to rock the boat until I finally get those.
That said, my BGR has the $175 fee due on the 25th. I really don't want to pay this, but I have been delaying cancelling as long as I can because of the Delta issue.
Also, dh has been in pop up jail forever, and I can't seem to get him out of it. I tried again yesterday to refer him to the BBP so he can have a fee free card to keep his MRs.
So, so I just cut the losses and move his MRs to a partner when his fees come due on his MR cards?
Do I refer him and get the bonus miles and just not worry about making the MSR on that card (if they approve him) but just put some spend on it, so he can keep his MR?
If I do that option (like today) I am guessing my BGR needs to stay open until the referral MR's credit?? Or would they credit anyway if I close it by Tuesday when the fee is due? That $175 is hard to stomach. Would they prorate a refund if I close it a couple weeks after I pay it?

Whew, did you follow all that?
I wouldn’t worry about rocking the boat because you’re waiting on DL miles, go about your Amex life. Not into MRs so no opinion on the rest :(

also trying to decide if I should keep or

no what is this exactly? Can't you always change your SWA flights for free?
you can change them without a change fee, but you'd still be paying the cost of the new flight. What @Albort is talking about is not paying the cost difference, so you could buy a cheap flight and change it to an expensive flight for no additional charge. However, this only works if they've cancelled or changed your flights. I've tried it with my flight in Sep but I'm not in the change window yet as I get no free options. SW announced their Max8 schedule changes have been updated through Sep 2 now, so I guess there are folks in that window that can do as Albort suggests.

Chase says to allow up to 8 weeks and I’ve had two support clicks take almost that long. I wait them out a bit longer.
thanks. if they don't post,and I screenshotted the refer # and all,should I have him SM to ask after 8 weeks?

My plan was to get an AP in September or October 2020 and then to use for the next year, getting two Food and Wine trips, etc. We won't be doing that now. The pass rate will likely hike 2 more times before then!

I was also going to buy more DVC points. I am a second class white card holder so no discount on APs for me. I will not pay direct pricing and now I don't see myself getting more points anytime soon.

Quite frankly I think my Disney strategy has shifted a lot over the past 24 hours.

At this rate, my plan is to use/switch to a card where I can get my Disney tickets for "free."

Use the DVC points I have to stay during food and wine and call it a day. 1 trip a year, not 4. That's more than most families ever get anyway.

So now I've been mulling a CapOne card - to use to pay for tickets.

Stockpile discounted Disney giftcards for DVC dues and onsite expenses. Use Hilton points to tack on an extra couple of nights in Orlando is necessary.
Rinse, repeat.
I have to weigh heavily the CapOne since DH and I are so close to being under 5/24, but I swear - getting Disney tickets "erased" is as big a bang as anything Chase offers. At least for me and my vacation strategy going forward.

I'll be using MRs for cruises and flights as usual.

This sounds like the kind of DVC owner I'm going to be. White card holder, discounted or free giftcards from swagbucks etc to pay dues, buying tickets with cc points. I used my Citi TY points to buy the last two and using Barcaly Arrival Plus for the next two. RRs for flights. Haven't looked into CapOne yet. That might be on the list in the future for tickets. I was really hoping to at least renew my AP for the 20% discount on table service restaurants and memory maker, but this price hike is really a huge bummer.

Speaking of the white card, do you happen to know if this will get us into MNSSHP or MVMCP early?

We arrived im Budapest around 9:30 and after the luggage wait/cab ride/check in line from he!! was rewarded by Bonvoy twice - our room was ready AND we received a double upgrade-not just a suite but an awesome corner suite! We made it on our private tour although the jet lag was rough. Hopefully I’ll sleep well tonight 😄 The photo below would be better at night but I’m headed to bed soon 🤣image.jpg

My plan was to get an AP in September or October 2020 and then to use for the next year, getting two Food and Wine trips, etc. We won't be doing that now. The pass rate will likely hike 2 more times before then!

I was also going to buy more DVC points. I am a second class white card holder so no discount on APs for me. I will not pay direct pricing and now I don't see myself getting more points anytime soon.

Quite frankly I think my Disney strategy has shifted a lot over the past 24 hours.

At this rate, my plan is to use/switch to a card where I can get my Disney tickets for "free."

Use the DVC points I have to stay during food and wine and call it a day. 1 trip a year, not 4. That's more than most families ever get anyway.

So now I've been mulling a CapOne card - to use to pay for tickets.

Stockpile discounted Disney giftcards for DVC dues and onsite expenses. Use Hilton points to tack on an extra couple of nights in Orlando is necessary.
Rinse, repeat.
I have to weigh heavily the CapOne since DH and I are so close to being under 5/24, but I swear - getting Disney tickets "erased" is as big a bang as anything Chase offers. At least for me and my vacation strategy going forward.

I'll be using MRs for cruises and flights as usual.

How much longer until you're under 5/24? If you get a CIP after you're under, that's $800 cashed out and additional $200 if you have one to support from (so minimum $705 subtracting out the AF). The CapOne would only be $500.

Thanks for that link; somehow my poking around the Hilton website last night did not turn that information up!

You're correct- I've never stayed at a Hilton in my life except for that last trip which I didn't pay for, so absolutely zero points for me.

When you ask "what kind of points" I was thinking only of Chase UR points but I should have known that the TYPE of points is important to know in this conversation! I will learn... some day.... And I would not expect to earn anything from Hilton on a stay I book with URs (although wouldn't that be neat if I did??)

Good to know about the different types of Hilton AMEX cards including certain levels of Hilton status. Do you suppose those status benefits would apply even if the hotel room itself isn't paid for with a Hilton AMEX card?

You don't have to pay with a Hilton Amex card, you just have to book direct to get the status benefits (otherwise it's YMMV). But if you had a Hilton Amex, you might want to pay with it since you get extra Hilton points when using the card at Hiltons.

Wonder what your 2nd goal will be like in a week :scared1:

Although I'm not sure why I care, it's not like I can hardly make mine now anyway. What's the diff between 150 and 500 if I can barely make 50 cents some days? If I keep repeating that, maybe I can convince myself to go for some spend then. :laughing:
Second goals are pointless these days. Right now mine is about 500 and the bonus is 25???

I want to try and drive to Disney once...maybe when the kids are older. Its a 21hr ride according to Google. I for sure don't want to drive back though!
I absolutely love flying. Driving makes me so stressed that I get a headache and I’m not even the one driving. There are too many idiots on the road and a bunch of rubber neckers
You couldn't pay me to drive to Florida, ugh. That seriously sounds like the worst punishment ever. I'm with you @Haley R , and add in motion sickness. I love flying!!!

We arrived im Budapest around 9:30 and after the luggage wait/cab ride/check in line from he!! was rewarded by Bonvoy twice - our room was ready AND we received a double upgrade-not just a suite but an awesome corner suite! We made it on our private tour although the jet lag was rough. Hopefully I’ll sleep well tonight 😄 The photo below would be better at night but I’m headed to bed soon 🤣View attachment 410192

That is one gorgeous view! :love::love::love:

Have a great trip!

You couldn't pay me to drive to Florida, ugh. That seriously sounds like the worst punishment ever. I'm with you @Haley R , and add in motion sickness. I love flying!!!

I hear you- DD is trying to convince us she needs her car in college. How does she think it will arrive from FL to MA? Magic carpet? Plus she can’t drive in Florida weather on flat terrain. Snow, ice, hills? Mmmm no, just no.

Whenever I use my points or certificates I have had to book separate reservations. I could be doing something wrong but it doesn't seem to offer cash + points like Hilton does.

Sorry, not what you asked! I think you can switch the third night to use the certificate you just have to call.
Just booked Swan for Princess race weekend next year.. apparently we are gluttons for punishment. We both missed registration opening earlier this month, but the two course challenge is still available.

Question for anyone that may have experience - I had enough points to book 2 of the 3 nights at Swan, and I did the hold room thingy for the 3rd night. I anticipate receiving the 50k free night from the Ritz card in about a month. Is there any issue with switching that 3rd night with the free night cert?
You can do it right now online. I had my Clearwater all booked on points and then when my 35k cert dropped, I was able to go right online and apply it and Marriott immediately refunded my 35k points.

Very easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter