I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL is Greek, so my sister traded our easily spelled, but usually mispronounced last name for one that is always either misspelled or mispronounced (unless you are Greek) or both. It is 11 letters long and starts with Gz. Poor nephew is Alexander plus a long middle name, giving him both an X and Z in his name with a total of 31 letters in all.
I got lucky that DH didn’t take his stepfather’s LN when they came over from Vietnam. 25 years later, I still don’t pronounce it correctly- Chrzanowski. I prefer his 2 letter LN.

Good morning experts!
I will be purchasing Disney annual passes next week. Without signing up for a new card (trying to stay under 5/24) what is the best way to purchase to maximize points/discount?
I know BJ’s and Sam’s Club offer discounted gift cards, but I was wondering if I’m missing a way to maximize points too.
Between DH and I we have CF, CSP, CIP, SW Visas, Bonvoy VISA (the original one that started as Marriott Rewards), amex Bonvoy (originally SPG Amex), Bonvoy Business Amex, and Disney Visa.

Can anyone tell me the best route to go here? Thank you in advance!

I haven’t really been paying attention to the whole SW phenomenon but since we’re moving to Florida I feel like I should know more about it.

Are they planning to do reservations at wdw? Do you have to stay onsite for that? What happens if you cancel your hotel for a better deal or different hotel? Do the Disney springs hotels count?

Nothing like that has been announced and I doubt they will. DLR has 3 resort hotels and WDW has 25 so it doesn't seem like it would work here. They are doing a park opening for all guests at 6 am from 8/29-31. Then from 9/1-11/2 EMH from 6 am - 9 am at SWGE. Disney Springs official WDW participating hotels do count for EMH. I expect the park will hit capacity and then it will go through the phased closure hierarchy of capacity control. Once they hit Phase 4, no one is allowed in.

Phase 3 Closure
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
  • Those staying at a Disney resort
  • Annual Passholders
  • Those with in-park reservations or appointments.

Awesome! I’m pretty sure we’ll go but it’ll be a last minute decision based on weather. I haven’t decided if we’ll drive home after to save on a hotel or if we’ll book a last minute hotel. I don’t think I would be going to ride rides but to enjoy the atmosphere and watch the stage show.

We didn’t see the show but the atmosphere was cute and they had different music. I wish we had a room at the contemporary last night lol

Earlier today, I posted a new Amex Offer for Caviar - Spend $150+, get 4,000 MR Points. Expires 8/10/19. (There’s probably also a $40 back version.)

Caviar is a food delivery service like Uber Eats, Doordash, or Grubhub, but you should check if they service your area at trycaviar .com.

Anyway, we occasionally order through Caviar so I went ahead to redeem the Amex Offer by buying myself a $150 e-gift card (which triggers the Amex Offer credit). I noticed that Caviar is running a promo on its front page where if you buy a gift card in June (for yourself or anybody else), you’ll get $5 credit deposited into your account. So I ended up getting $155 in Caviar credit and 4,000 MR from my $150 purchase.

Note that as with many of the major food delivery services, Caviar charges delivery and service fees, not including tip; but they also run promos frequently that can help to offset those fees. Food delivered to your door is a luxury, but some days it can also be a necessity. Amex Offers, credits, and promo codes help with that.

Thank you for this. No dice for me, but DW had it on her BBP. We like Caviar (and probably use it too much). They have a wider variety of better restaurants than other delivery apps, although you definitely pay for it.

Nothing like that has been announced and I doubt they will. DLR has 3 resort hotels and WDW has 25 so it doesn't seem like it would work here. They are doing a park opening for all guests at 6 am from 8/29-31. Then from 9/1-11/2 EMH from 6 am - 9 am at SWGE. Disney Springs official WDW participating hotels do count for EMH. I expect the park will hit capacity and then it will go through the phased closure hierarchy of capacity control. Once they hit Phase 4, no one is allowed in.

Phase 3 Closure
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
  • Those staying at a Disney resort
  • Annual Passholders
  • Those with in-park reservations or appointments.
I think we might just wait it out then. I thought with the reservation system maybe but without that I don’t really want to fight the crowds.

It’s always good when you get an email the night before about bad weather and your flight possibly being cancelled >:(

I’m a little nervous about this because we are going home after getting to LAX, not staying the night
Oh no! Where’s the bad weather? Hope it clears and y'all are able to fly.

PSA: Southwest gift cards purchased on or after 6/5/19 have not (yet?) credited on Amex cards with the airline fee credit

There are several reports in today's r/churning DP thread that Southwest gift cards purchased on or after 6/5/19 have not (yet?) credited on Amex cards with the airline fee credit. FlyerTalk also has numerous recent DPs of Southwest gift cards not crediting against the Amex airline fee credit. Typically, the airline fee credit reimburses qualifying purchases within 2-3, maybe 4 days, but these DPs go back longer that usual.

Hopefully this is just a glitch causing the delay -- and that's entirely possible (e.g., the glitch that didn't count transactions or trigger credits on 1/31/19, the glitch affecting calculated spend towards Delta bonuses around March/April); and not a change in coding by Amex or Southwest that stops gift cards from crediting.

I know several of us have been approved for the Amex Platinum and other cards with the airline fee credit recently. Tagging -- @PolyRob, @Killer Fish, @Jax1023, @Psychodisney, @amalone1013, @orangecuse, @havaneselover, and any one else I missed; and some are considering an upgrade to the Biz Plat, like @schmass, @kidsfirsttrip, @AmyAnne, and @1st*toright, or a Hilton Aspire.

You may want to hold off from selecting Southwest as your airline of choice or purchasing Southwest gift cards with the expectation they'll credit. I'll keep an eye on the DPs as they come in, but you can and should check with the FlyerTalk airline fee reimbursement reports threads for your selected airline before making any purchase against the Amex credit.

If you've already selected Southwest and gift cards no longer credit, you can usually chat with Amex and they'll let you change your selection at any time during the year as long as you haven't spent any of the year's credit.
Nooooo!! I bought a SW gc with my Biz Plat yesterday. Pleeeeaaase just be a glitch!

Oh no! Where’s the bad weather? Hope it clears and y'all are able to fly.
In Tokyo. It’s supposed to rain and have gusts of wind up to 40 mph. After all this beautiful weather we’ve had and then the day we fly out they’re predicting terrible weather

Reminds me of when expedia screwed something up and my (now)BIL ended up missing our wedding because the airline wouldn’t honor his flight. His first time meeting our whole family was running into our reception late haha

Alright Plastiq pros I promised I searched but I think the word car is messing things up here:

Can I use an Amex for car insurance? Saw a lot on car loan payments but not car insurance. If not I’m guessing best bet is to pay my remaining year balance via MCGC?
I would think you could pay the insurance company with Plastiq...but first, check with your insurance company and see if ou can pay them directly and avoid the Plastiq fee!

In Tokyo. It’s supposed to rain and have gusts of wind up to 40 mph. After all this beautiful weather we’ve had and then the day we fly out they’re predicting terrible weather
Oh that stinks! I hope the weather is better than forecasted.

And I've really been enjoying your Insta posts and stories :love:

Question on Amex and Staples. I have Staples offers on a few of my Amex cards (well all one account, but for all 4 card holders). This will work on Disney GC? And on each card, as long as each card has the offer? These are the exclusions I see...
" Not valid on purchases shipped outside of the US. Excludes Quill, Smilemaker, Staples Business Advantage, Staples 4 Government, Staples Toner Services, Staples Technology Solutions, Staples Promotional Products, Staples Print Solutions, Copy and Printing Services, Staples Contract and Commercial, Staples App Center, Staples Industrial, Staples Book Rental, Staples Simplexity, Staples Share Fund, Coastwide Labs, Catalog and Staples Fundraising. Not valid for gift cards in bulk purchases. Offer is non-transferable. Limit of 1 statement credit per Card Member."

I have bought $300 in GCs instore and it posted on all 3 cards. The Staples close to our house didn't have Disney, but I found them in another store. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter