I lost my FANTAStic sunglasses

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by Mickey.MAC, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mickey.MAC

Mickey.MAC Earning My Ears

I just completed my third western carribean cruise on the Disney Fantasy. I know it might be repetitive, but on this third trip, I appreciated details on the cruise that I previously overlooked. I felt no pressure to do any particular show or excursion, and basically planned nothing.

Last November, my family went on this itinerary for the first time. We had a blast. My wife, a non Disney fan fell in love with the ship and the itinerary. We repeated this trip in July. On this trip, the highlights were the dole whip beverages on the pool deck, staying on the ship longer at port, and gasp! watching our favorite broadway show from the stateroom.

We started the trip by staying at Wilderness Lodge. I had to see the famous Christmas tree, and hang out in the main lobby of the lodge. Traditionally, we stay at the airport Hyatt the night before the cruise, but we felt no rush to get to the port. In the morning of the cruise, we rode the monorail and boats, ate a slow breakfast, and took in all the Christmas decorations at the Lodge. Although all the hotels do a great job in decorations, Wilderness Lodge brings the best "classical" spirit in its presentation.

The bus picked us up at 1130 and took us from the Wilderness Lodge directly to the cruise port. I enjoyed spending the morning at Disney World, rather than rushing to port. After all, we would have seven nights to enjoy the boat. At check in, I tried to upgrade my category 5 verandah which i booked on a VGT rate. The numbers did not make sense so I stayed in my forward verandah stateroom.

As usual we skipped the pictures at boarding and headed straight to Cabanas for lunch. After lunch, we went to the pool deck and watched funnel vision and did one round of Aqua duck prior to heading to the stateroom. We attended the sail away party and enjoyed the view of Port Canaveral as the Fantasy left port. Our dining rotation was first seating with 3 nights at Animators and 2 nights at Enchanted Garden and Royal Court. On this trip my wife declared that Enchanted Garden was her new favorite.

On sea days, we spent most of our time on the pool deck in the shallow Mickey Mouse pool. My kids are growing up fast and really enjoyed swimming and lounging in the kids pool. My youngest one still has a year to go before being big enough for the Aqua Duck but I took the older one several times a day.

2. Mickey.MAC

Day 1 leaving Port Canaveral

I was looking for the Galley tour on Day 1 but i heard they cancelled the tour of the kitchens. Also, Remy and palo were available but who wants to eat there on Day 1 unless you are cruising without kids. FYI, i met a lot of adults who were travelling without kids. Seems that the famous Disney Customer Service is such a draw that people are willing to cruise even when kids are the main customer! The lobby was decorated with the soon to be lit Christmas tree, and the railings in the peacock inspired lobby were covered in laurels.

Our first night was at Animators Palate. The artwork on the video screens was awesome. If you ever wanted to see the sketches of Disney movies prior to production, you have to really absorb the art presentation in Animators. To contrast this cruise to high season, the main difference is the higher price during school breaks and warmer temperatures during high season summer cruises. Otherwise, everything is the same. I could not find out waiters from the previous cruises but we had a wonderful team from Portugal, trinidad, and DR.

Last cruise we skipped Sail away, the party is ok with a good DJ; I enjoyed seeing the Port as we left Canaveral.

Day 2 At Sea

We ate breakfast in Cabanas. For meat lovers, please start at the back of the buffet where is ribeye at breakfast, and a carving station at lunch. we started the morning, of course, on the pool deck.

3. Mickey.MAC

The main show on Day 2 was the Great Dubois. He has a partner who does comedy and juggling. His partner is a world class acrobat in the genre of Cirque du Soleil. Audience participation was fun, with multiple guests called up to help his juggling and comedy act. My wife was wondering what these performers do the rest of the cruise when they are not performing--since they are the talent, and not the staff who have multiple roles. On Day 2, was the tree lighting ceremony. We had a countdown with Santa, Mickey and Friends, and the Christmas tree in the lobby was lit up; These moments are the reason why I continue to sail Disney. Hot cocoa and chocolate chip cookies were served almost every evening, in full support of the Very Merry Christmas theme.

On Day 2 we were at Enchanted Garden. Remy called me and offered me a 630 time slot at the last minute, since I was in the wait list. I sat at dinner and gave my kids their dinner, which started at 545. At 630, we dropped off the kids and headed to Remy. I have not eaten at Remy recently. The last cruise, I ate at Palo, so I made Remy a priority. I am a lightweight, so I skipped the wine pairing, because i was so drunk last time I could appreciate my Remy experience. Regardless, Remy starts you off with a complimetary drink of Champagne. Also, my wife ordered the add on of caviar(don't want to scare u with the price)wait for it...99 dollar add on, and that was the cheapest caviar. That caviar came with complimentary champagne too.

4. amiskell28

amiskell28 Can't wait to get back!

Following along! We're going on our first DCL (first cruise ever, actually) in February on the Fantasy (SWDAS).

We are also staying at WDW before the cruise, and taking Disney transportation to the port. Did you find that you had enough time to get to Cabanas, was it super busy at that time?

How old are your children, if I may ask? We have two older boys (18 and 21) who can't join us this trip. So, it'll just be me, DH, and our DD7. Did you children enjoy the kids club? I'm so hoping ours does!!

5. FSU Girl

FSU Girl DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip! I'll be on the Fantasy for the first time in January for my honeymoon, really excited. Remy is a great meal, I got engaged there on the Dream. It's so pricey though so we are opting for Palo instead for this cruise. I didn't know the ships had dole whip, that's really exciting to look forward to!