I just don't care... small vent

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
Background... One of my coworkers ('A') gets a cab to/from work every day.

The story... A coworker ('B') passes me in the hallway and asks if I've seen 'A'. Me: No, can I help you ('A' and I worked in similar departments and often I can do what he does)?
B: Well, you may know I had some medical issue (he might have said a small stroke) a while back and I'm still not allowed to drive. I have to be in at 6am on 'x' day to fill in for 'C', and my wife is working late the night before and won't be home until 1am. It wouldn't be good for me to ask her to bring me to work, so I wanted to talk to 'A' about the cab company he uses and how much it costs and how reliable they are. Can you tell 'A' I'm looking for him?
Me:uh, sure.

Why are people so willing to share medical issues? I'm sorry, I really don't care. A simple "I need to talk to him about the cab company he uses" would have been just fine.

I'm sorry, did you leave out some details? Because I don't see where he shared any revealing information other than saying he had an issue.

That conversation took what? All of 30 seconds?

The story... A coworker ('B') passes me in the hallway and asks if I've seen 'A'. Me: No, can I help you ('A' and I worked in similar departments and often I can do what he does)?
B: Well, you may know I had some medical issue (he might have said a small stroke) a while back and I'm still not allowed to drive. I have to be in at 6am on 'x' day to fill in for 'C', and my wife is working late the night before and won't be home until 1am. It wouldn't be good for me to ask her to bring me to work, so I wanted to talk to 'A' about the cab company he uses and how much it costs and how reliable they are. Can you tell 'A' I'm looking for him?

Why are people so willing to share medical issues? I'm sorry, I really don't care. A simple "I need to talk to him about the cab company he uses" would have been just fine.

Because some people like to just overtalk every subject...medical, family, etc. It's their nature to divulge details. Others feel they have to explain it to such detail as to lend to credibility. Telling someone the why they need the information on the cab company sounds more urgent and necessary to respond to them quicker than a casual "what cab company does X use". Asking the plain vanilla question may not get the response from X in a timely manner.

sam_gordon said:

Because it wasn't a big deal? Heaven forbid someone tries to be nice & explain the situation when you asked them if you could help.

When did we become this society? Where we don't care about anyone else. Where we are so wrapped up with ourselves that we get annoyed at a 60 second conversation w/a co worker.

I'm sorry, did you leave out some details? Because I don't see where he shared any revealing information other than saying he had an issue.

That conversation took what? All of 30 seconds?
Yes, it is very minor vent. I don't care that he had the stroke (or whatever). I don't care that he's filling in for someone. I don't care that his wife is working late and he doesn't want to ask her for a ride. I thought it was strange that he went into all the extra information when a simple "I want to talk to him about the cab company" would have sufficed.

Sorry - I don't see a problem. I think it sounds like a prefectly reasonable conversation to me.

I also would have found the conversation a little weird. No need explaining - you need a cab and 'A' takes one so I'm looking to talk to him about it. :confused3

The person was over sharing maybe with a reason and maybe not. Maybe feeling you out for a ride offer?

Because it wasn't a big deal? Heaven forbid someone tries to be nice & explain the situation when you asked them if you could help.

When did we become this society? Where we don't care about anyone else. Where we are so wrapped up with ourselves that we get annoyed at a 60 second conversation w/a co worker.
I've been this way for as long as I remember. :confused3

Yes, it is very minor vent. I don't care that he had the stroke (or whatever). I don't care that he's filling in for someone. I don't care that his wife is working late and he doesn't want to ask her for a ride. I thought it was strange that he went into all the extra information when a simple "I want to talk to him about the cab company" would have sufficed.

You don't care that a coworker had a stroke? Wow. I hope all that compassion of yours doesn't get too overwhelming for you.

Said the person who shared the entire conversation AND the complaint about it with a bunch of total strangers on an internet bulletin board. ;)

:earsboy:

sam_gordon said:

Remember this when you have something to talk about or ask...don't expect anyone to care.

On a scale of oversharing, with 10 being a vivid description of one's colonoscopy and 1 being their name, I give this one a 3. :rolleyes1

Remember this when you have something to talk about or ask...don't expect anyone to care.
Maybe you're more friendly with your coworkers. I do have some that I'm willing to share with and listen to them share. Someone who I simply say "hi" when passing in the hallway... not so much.

I don't expect the majority of coworkers to care about my personal life.

I have someone in my family who does this. We've all learned not to ask any questions to encourage the conversation.

Of course, this is someone who lies and distorts things to make very simple things a big deal. (For example her three year old had a sore throat and she ended up taking her to the doctor and came home and for the next week saying she had to keep a close eye on her because it could be a horrible infection blah blah blah and in a week you don't hear about it again. Meanwhile, the three year old is running around screaming and feeling fine.)

We live in a society where it is not only the norm, but expected for each other to ask the other 'how are you?' Except, 99/100 times, people only want to hear 'ok' or 'good'.

Fortunately for me, as a pastor, I am in a setting where people are more open, honest, and connected to each other than most places.

Apparently the cow-orker is a Twatter user.

OP, some people are simply attention- and sympathy-"seekers". You're just an audience for them (if you let them...).

:thumbsup2

I've been this way for as long as I remember. :confused3

Sorry Sam,
as much as I enjoy your post I gotta go with the other posters.

Are we really so self absorbed that some one sharing 1 minute of their life with us has become an annoyance? Yes, I too have had those folks who shared waaay to much information but really what's the harm?

Look at it this way. You shared your space with some one for a few minutes and you never know how you touch people.

consider it your Christmas gift to your fellow office mates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter