I hope we love it! I am sure we will! Uh no - we don't! Mickeystoontown's 16 day trip! Updated 9/5!

Food, I need food! Oooh, this is strange!

This post will be wordy with not a lot of my own pictures. You will recall in my first post that I said I tell it like it is and, even though I am a Disney lover through and through, I also don't cut the mouse any slack.

We had visited El Mercado before and had gotten drinks and a snack there so we knew what it was like pre-Covid. The visit was also prior to Disney overhauling the food court which, if I am recalling correctly, was most a cosmetic makeover.

The food court is set up with several different stations which each serve different food items. There's also a section of grab n go cold items just to the right of the hot stations. Way over to the left is a dessert station with pre-packaged desserts and some that a cast member will take out for guests. Each of the hot stations had digital menus listing their selections. I'm borrowing some pictures from the internet to show you. There weren't any cast members really "tending" to the station. They would only approach guests if the guest stood there and waited for them to acknowledge them. Then they would ask what they wanted. If it were a special item (like my daughter-in-law who ordered a veggie burger later in the trip), they would prepare it right then. Otherwise, the cast members were walking around in the back and bringing food periodically to the stations where they slid them into the warming shelves/racks.

csr food court.jpg

csr food court 2.jpg

csr food court 3.jpg

Okay, so the set up was like pretty much identical to other resort food courts.

EXCEPT! and this is a big EXCEPT! In the pictures above, most of the food items are wrapped or boxed. When we were there, almost everything was just in a paper tray and open. No covers! Most food items were also at the same height as a person's chest or face depending on if it was on the bottom shelf or the top shelf. We saw a lot of guests walk over to the food, pick it up, look at it and put it back. (I even had a cast member at the register tell me that I could take a biscuit back and trade it out for one that I thought I had originally picked up. I didn't) An open container of food was put back! It should have never been up there without a cover in the first place! I got a bacon cheeseburger and this is how it was on the shelf (I took the bun off so I could take a picture) but look at it! Just in a paper tray with no cover. And it had been sitting there!

IMG_3343.JPEG

The burger fixings were at least in a little paper pouch in the cooler and it was sealed:

IMG_3344.JPEG

John's selection was a Philly cheesesteak sandwich and it was wrapped in foil. The fries were in the tray.
IMG_3345.JPEG

If the food had not been pre-prepared and left out for anyone and everyone to come by and touch and breath on, it would have been okay. I know! I know! The chef and the servers handled it but that's different.

I am not a germaphobe by any means but we were/are in a pandemic. These were the safety measures Coronado Springs was taking? I didn't like it at all! The food wasn't bad but it wasn't outstanding either. We both ate enough to fill our stomachs and then tossed the rest in the trash. John and I discussed the possibility that this may be a one time thing and they were short staffed that day. We were just starting our trip and had at least a couple of more resort days so we'd have an opportunity to try it again later.

The day was lovely and we were enjoying the sunshine as we walked back to the room. Laguna bar had not opened for the day. (not that we would have tried it but I still made note of it for anyone who may ask).

IMG_3347.JPEG

When we got to our building, I took a picture of our decorated window. See, I didn't go overboard with the decor. Just enough to make it festive.

IMG_3348.JPEG

We called Mama to check in and see what she was doing. The kids were both at work so we couldn't call them yet. I put my phone on to charge and we made the short walk to the Cabanas beach to relax a bit. I am glad that we made the decision to not plan anything on this day. We needed a recharge before we started hitting the parks.

**Up next: Dining with the dinos!

Last edited:
I am so loving your report! Both you and your husband seem so happy. I love the notes he leaves you. Very sweet!

I also wanted to add, I was thinking how great you looked after such a looong car trip. I would have been a hot mess! You are beautiful inside and OUT with a beautiful family!

Thank you! We really are a happy couple and rarely get into disagreements. I think that comes from me working in the family law field for so long. What little troubles we may run into are small in comparison to some of the stories I hear at work.

I felt like a hot mess! I think we were in the care for eight hours. :crazy2:

I'm loving reading along. our trip seems so far away so I'm living vicariously through other people's reports!

Dining with the dinos!

After lazing in the hammocks for about an hour, we decided to go in, freshen up and go to Disney Springs for a while. Our plan was to walk around, shop some and then have dinner at Polite Pig since we enjoyed it the last time we were at Disney. My one year old nephew loves Mickey Mouse and I wanted to get him a new Mickey for Christmas.

The walk to the bus stop was a short one. We just walked down the corridor and through the parking lot and we were there. We had the Cabanas bus stop, Bus Stop 4, to ourselves.
IMG_3349.JPEG

The hand sanitizer station was there on this day but it was gone a few days later.
IMG_3350.JPEG

IMG_3351.JPEG

IMG_3352.JPEG

Our 50th anniversary Magic Bands:
IMG_3353.JPEG

The bus ride to Disney Springs didn't take too long. Our first stop was in the Disney Store which had a total different layout than the years before so we spent a lot of time wandering around just taking it all in. There was an entire section dedicated to 50th Anniversary merchandise. Surely, we would fine a Mickey there. Nope, sold out. Just Minnie Mouse. We looked in the toy area and there was no Mickey Mouse. What the heck? We walked out without purchasing anything because we'd be back later in the trip. I might see something else I wanted in the parks or in another store.

One thing that I did know I wanted was the spices at Mickey's Pantry. We have a shop in a store on Antique Alley and they sell some of the same spices but I didn't want them from Louisiana. I wanted them from Mickey's Pantry. I know! It doesn't make sense since a lot of the merchandise is the same but a lot of what I do doesn't make sense. They had a special if you bought three of the grinder spices so I bought the Florida Sunshine, Pirates Bite and one that I can't remember the name of. It has pepper, dried mushrooms and a mixture of other spices. It's really good.

We spent time looking in the various stores, again, mostly window shopping and taking mental notes of things we may want.
IMG_3355.JPEG

After visiting a couple of stores, I realized that I hadn't brought any hand sanitizer. This is very unusual for me. I had hand sanitizer with me all the time even before the pandemic. When we were driving, I had a larger purse that had our travel info, Magic Bands, wallet, an extra day of meds, etc. After getting the room organized, I had transferred just the necessities to a smaller purse but forgot to put my hand sanitizer holder on it. We popped into a couple of stores and didn't find the pocket size sanitizer.

When we got to T-Rex, I went in to see if they had any. A cast member asked if we needed help and they pointed it out to me. I saw the Landry's Select Club cards by the register and asked how they worked. I had read about the m but never bought one. Once they explained it to me, we decided to go ahead buy it. It was $25 but we would receive a $25 credit after registering the card and we would also get to skip the line. We had a reservation at Rainforest Cafe after the kids got to Disney. It would be nice if we could skip the regular line and get priority seating for a party of six.

IMG_3356.JPEG

Once we bought the card, the cast member asked if we wanted to dine with them that evening. if so, she would go ahead and put our name in and let the person working the check in guest know that we were Landry Select Club members. We like T-Rex so why not? She told us to wait nearby and they would call our name. You can't tell it by the two pictures that I took outside the restaurant, but there were a lot of people lined up trying to get in and the line was blocking the walkway. Not long after I took the picture above, someone from the restaurant came out and had everyone line up right where the picture was taken. It wound all the way around the green shrubbery.

IMG_3357.JPEG

Less than 30 minutes later, we were sitting inside the restaurant, our drink order had been placed, and I was taking pictures of the cool atmosphere.
IMG_3359.JPEG

IMG_3360.JPEG

**Continued in next post

Dining with the dinos continued

IMG_3362.JPEG

As you can tell, we we placed near the bar area and the dinos weren't right beside us. But, that was okay with us. We had seen the dinosaurs many many times.

Almost every time that we have eaten at T-Rex, I have gotten the sampler plate but it wasn't on the menu this time. What the heck? I loved being able to have a little of this and a little of that.

I ended up ordering the chicken alfredo. It was very good with the exception of the bread but I care for focaccia bread. I like a lot of alfredo sauce and the dish had plenty.

IMG_3364.JPEG

John ordered:

Tuscan Chicken

Marinated char-grilled chicken breast, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, tomatoes, honey Dijon mustard sauce, red skinned mashed potatoes
IMG_3363.JPEG

Sorry for the picture being sideways but I can't get it to rotate.

Both dishes were excellent and filled us up so we decided to skip the dessert and get something small from El Mercado at the resort.

**Up next: Let's call the kids! How do we call them at the same time? Technology is not my thing!

ooh T-REX looks so cool!! On our arrival day (we are flying) we are not doing parks, only Disney Springs and planning to have dinner at Disney Springs as well, several people on the board have recommended T-REX, these pics have me sold, the kids will love it

Sounds like a wonderful and relaxed day! I agree with how the food was displayed at the food court. Just doesn't seem right or make sense? Your food at T-Rex looks so good! I love the beginning of our Disney trips. It's so nice to look forward to all the fun days ahead. So great your children and spouses could join you!

ooh T-REX looks so cool!! On our arrival day (we are flying) we are not doing parks, only Disney Springs and planning to have dinner at Disney Springs as well, several people on the board have recommended T-REX, these pics have me sold, the kids will love it

We have never received bad service or food at T-Rex. I am betting your kids will love it!
Sounds like a wonderful and relaxed day! I agree with how the food was displayed at the food court. Just doesn't seem right or make sense? Your food at T-Rex looks so good! I love the beginning of our Disney trips. It's so nice to look forward to all the fun days ahead. So great your children and spouses could join you!

Wasn't it odd how the food in El Mercado was set out for anyone and everyone to touch and breathe on? I didn't like it at all.

Let's call the kids! How do we call them at the same time? Technology is not my thing!

After dinner, we decide to go back to the resort and call the kids. Only problem was that we didn't know how to call them both at the same time. So, once back at Coronado Springs, we got off at the Gran Destino bus stop and walked over to El Mercado. John wanted a cup of coffee and I wanted something sweet.

To get to the sweets/dessert station, I had to walk by the hot stations and the food was still mostly uncovered and people were helping themselves. Yuck! I picked up a prepackaged cheesecake cupcake. John got his cup of coffee and we found a table in the corner of El Mercado and called Lacey. She laughed when I asked if she could do a three way Facetime and said she could. Next thing you know, we had three kiddos on Facetime.

IMG_3367.PNG

They were all getting excited about joining us in Disney. We chatted for a little while, told them that we were just waiting on them to get there, and that we loved them.

I opened up my cheesecake cupcake and it was a real cheesecake. I was expecting a cupcake with cheesecake in the middle and/or on top. It was a full on cheesecake in the shape of a cupcake.

IMG_3368.JPEG

IMG_3369.JPEG

We sat and relaxed a while longer before we started the walk to the room. I tried taking a picture of the two of us but it's pretty bad; however, this installment is pretty short so I figured why not include it. Oh and we both got a small carton of milk. I'm allergic to milk (makes me have headaches and nosebleeds) but ever once in a while, I'll drink some because I love it.

IMG_3370.JPEG

On our way out, I took a picture of the El Mercado hours of operation sign.

IMG_3372.JPEG

We turned in shortly after getting back to the room. Tomorrow, we were going to John's favorite park.

**Up next: I've got a golden ticket!

loving this! keep 'em coming. I didn't know milk allergy could cause nosebleeds, off down a Google rabbit hole now for me!

I've got a golden ticket!

Today was the start of the first half of our trip and the first package of two. When we had visited the check in desk on our first night, I was told that I wouldn't have to check out or in. I would receive an emailed copy of our room charges for our room only reservation. And, because I did online check in for our first package, we would be all set to go to the park on this day.

I don't recall what time we got up or what time we were at the bus stop. Once we were through the park turnstiles, I was able to log into the My Disney Experience app and purchase Lightning Lane passes for Rise of the Resistance. Our loading number was waaaay off into the evening so we were free to do whatever we wanted until then.

LL edited.jpg

The parks wasn't too crowded so we headed towards Star Wars Land and Smuggler's Run via Toy Story Land. I wanted to take a restroom break before we got in line because who knew how long it would be before we were actually on the attraction.

Now, y'all don't get upset with me when I say this.... I don't know a gosh darn thing about Star Wars. I know Chewy, R2D2, C3PO, and Yoda. Oh and I know what Storm Troopers look like but I couldn't tell you if they were good guys or bad guys. But, I do know that the attractions in Star Wars Land are fun and exciting.

The line was pretty short when we got in line but it quickly wound round and round and round the queue. We were glad that we had gotten in line early.

IMG_3375.JPEG

The next picture was taken at 9:48 a.m.

IMG_3376.JPEG

IMG_3377.JPEG

IMG_3378.JPEG
and we were in the boarding area at 10:36 a.m. I didn't think that was too long of a wait given that I'd seen wait times as long as a couple of hours.
IMG_3379.JPEGIMG_3380.JPEG

John and I were assigned to our own "spaceship", "rocket" ummmm I don't know what it is called but it was just the two of us.

IMG_3381.JPEG

IMG_3382.JPEG

IMG_3383.JPEG

**Continued in next post due to too many pictures

Last edited:
I've got a golden ticket! Cont'd

The experience of being in the ride vehicle with the just the two of us was totally different than before. We could be our goofy selves, laugh out loud when we crashed into something and scream when we were going this way and that. It was mostly me doing the screaming. Okay, it was just me screaming but it was fun even if we didn't know what Disney was referencing.

IMG_3384.JPEG

We left Star Wars Land and moseyed towards ABC Commissary. We were starting to get hungry.

Along the way, I stopped to take a picture of the Christmas tree.

IMG_3385.JPEG

Hollywood Studios is not known for its out of this world good food; however, we have always gotten something decent at ABC Commissary. I placed an online order and we found a table outside while waiting on the notification that our food was ready.

I received the text, walked to the entrance and showed the cast member the notification. They opened the door for me and I was soon walking out with our food and drinks. John had the shrimp tacos, black beans and rice. (Sorry that the picture is sideways but you can see what he ordered.)

IMG_3386.JPEG

I ordered an item that was on the menu the year before. The grilled buffalo chicken sandwich. It was really good. It's like a grilled cheese but with buffalo chicken and creamy cheese. Fries came with it as did a dipping sauce. I don't like super hot foods/spices but this was just right.IMG_3387.JPEG

While we were eating, I checked the app and Star Tours wait time was reasonable. We tossed our trash in the garbage and walked over to see what story line would pop up when we rode Star Tours.

Star Tours done, we weren't sure what we wanted to do next other than getting John a cup of coffee. He is normally a five to six cup a day coffee drinker. The Starbucks line was manageable and we were soon sitting outside, enjoying a coffee and dessert.

IMG_3388.JPEG

Just an FYI, don't waste your money on the Mickey head chocolate chip cookie. It was dry and hard. John called one of the kids and looks to be excited about whatever he was telling them.

IMG_3390.JPEG

Animated story having been told, we finished up our coffees and continued towards two of our favorite attractions, Rock-n-Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. The crowds were getting more dense as the day went along.

IMG_3391.JPEG

IMG_3392.JPEG

**Up next: Love in an elevator...living it up while going down!

Last edited:
I just started reading your trip report and I am hooked. Can't wait for the next installment. I also love that note your husband left for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter