I hope my DVC guide is not lying to me about Riviera , but the question is ,is he?

vinmar4

DIS Veteran
So,I had a conversation with my guide yesterday about adding on RIV, I told him that I wanted a different UY and he had a fit about it!
He went on an on about not really doing it for owners with different UYs because it gets complicated for the owners to deal with different banking dates, etc, etc. I told him that we had decided already and that's we wanted to do. He then said that it we want to divide our point into 3 smaller contracts like we did at AK that one of the small contracts have to have 100 points and then we could divide the rest into the 2 other, but if we keep the same UY that was not the case, that we could divide equally the points.
I don't know that I can trust him because when talking about the different UY he told me that nobody changes their UY and when I told him that that's not what I was told by other members , he said that that's because they bought resale with a different UY.
Is he saying the truth?
thank you everybody!

A new UY is a new membership. It is not an add on so I am going to say that is the reason you are held to the new buyer minimum.

When I did that years ago, I was required to the do same thing. I know they definitely try to encourage the same UY because not everyone understands completely that once it’s different, its like being two different owners, Points can’t be combined for a single night without a transfer, etc.

If that is what you want, then I’d just reinforce you understand its a different membership, and all it comes with, But, expect to have to keep one contract at least 100 points since that membership is considered new, even though you, yourself, are not.

A new UY is a new membership. It is not an add on so I am going to say that is the reason you are held to the new buyer minimum.

When I did that years ago, I was required to the do same thing. I know they definitely try to encourage the same UY because not everyone understands completely that once it’s different, its like being two different owners, Points can’t be combined for a single night without a transfer, etc.

If that is what you want, then I’d just reinforce you understand its a different membership, and all it comes with, But, expect to have to keep one contract at least 100 points since that membership is considered new, even though you, yourself, are not.

I see, Ok, it's great to know that he was saying the truth.
thank you for clarifying

great! so now I'm thinking that keeping the same UY may not be such a bad thing!

great! so now I'm thinking that keeping the same UY may not be such a bad thing!
It’s generally easier to keep the same use year. I bought resale and decided a good deal was more important to me than matching use years. In your case the only reason I’d get a new use year is if I had say a December use year but was always traveling in October or a March use year traveling in Feb. if your current use year is working out well with current and projected future trips stick to one.

Unless you have a specific reason to getting a different one, then one is easier.

I originally had an Oct UY when I bought my very first resale so I could then add on at BLT with less points as a member. Then I did my homework and realized that was a bad UY for summer travel and wanted June. They didn’t want me to really do it, but my guide me permission to buy at that level but I had keep one contract of the 150 or 180 we bought,,,can’t remember exactly since we don’t own those any mor...at 100 points.

Good luck on your decision!

It’s generally easier to keep the same use year. I bought resale and decided a good deal was more important to me than matching use years. In your case the only reason I’d get a new use year is if I had say a December use year but was always traveling in October or a March use year traveling in Feb. if your current use year is working out well with current and projected future trips stick to one.

We currently have a Dec UY and we got it for March and early summer trips because of the school vacations, we then started going to the F&W in Sept/Oct and then for Thanksgiving and loved the weather !
My DD loves to go in March for the flower fest and because its not too hot so her make up stays! LOL , same for Thanksgiving.
Since we always do split stays ,I'm thinking that we could get an August/Sept UY for RIV and use that one for the fall and Nov trips.

We have 4 UYs. We travel all over the place. The only time I bought direct was for RIV. I picked an August UY because I plan to specifically use those points for F&W in the fall. My VGC contract is a Dec UY which is the worst since we go to DL every other Nov, but it was a steal of a deal. I’ve also used my VGF in Jan even though it’s a Feb UY.

My point is that if you know you can get an Aug UY for direct points, and you plan to travel in the fall, that’s what I would do. I manage 4 UYs pretty easily, but I don’t combine points. I treat each one as a completely separate membership and don’t commingle.

We have 4 UYs. We travel all over the place. The only time I bought direct was for RIV. I picked an August UY because I plan to specifically use those points for F&W in the fall. My VGC contract is a Dec UY which is the worst since we go to DL every other Nov, but it was a steal of a deal. I’ve also used my VGF in Jan even though it’s a Feb UY.

My point is that if you know you can get an Aug UY for direct points, and you plan to travel in the fall, that’s what I would do. I manage 4 UYs pretty easily, but I don’t combine points. I treat each one as a completely separate membership and don’t commingle.

Yes, I think that treating them separately is the wise thing to do. thank you, I think the August would be a good one or September for our March or April trips.

One nice thing is that if you have more than one use year, yes it's a separate membership but you do get to access both memberships from the same DVCMember.com account, with your email address and password. So it's not as tricky as it might have been.

We currently have a Dec UY and we got it for March and early summer trips because of the school vacations, we then started going to the F&W in Sept/Oct and then for Thanksgiving and loved the weather !
My DD loves to go in March for the flower fest and because its not too hot so her make up stays! LOL , same for Thanksgiving.
Since we always do split stays ,I'm thinking that we could get an August/Sept UY for RIV and use that one for the fall and Nov trips.
I think two use years is a rare request for the guide to get, but in your case I would definitely push for it. Using December points for a November trip is definitely not ideal if something comes up. And yes I too am planning to use my second use year as a separate contract on separate trips and that should hopefully make it easier. I just bought the second though so it’s still just a theory!

You have a plan for the second UY so I wouldn't necessarily back track on that. As mentioned though it almost always does get treated as an entirely new membership which is why one of the contracts must be the required minimum to "buy in". So your guide was right about that even if he was wrong about other things.

Thank you all for reinforcing that, I spoke with him earlier and he told me that he asked and I can get the August UY, no problem!
But I have to say that he did try very hard to persuade us to keep Dec.
I was just looking at the availability for fall and if I get my RIV points later on, I could book 3 nights in a studio for the F&W!
so excited !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!