I Hope I Didn't Make A Mistake...

Lilysmom

Mouseketeer
I just switched our reservation over from the Poly to the AKL where we will be able to stay Club Level. We have never stayed at either resort and since this is a short trip for us we decided to give AKL a try. Our daughters are 4 (will turn 5 during this trip), 3 1/2 and 9 months. We normally stay at one of the MK deluxes since the girls are so little but I thought that maybe with not sharing buses it wouldn't be a big deal to stay at AK. Plus I think the girls will get a kick out of the animals.

Did I make the wrong decision? We've stayed CL before with the kids and it was so convenient. I just hope that the fact that the resort is 20 minutes from MK doesn't bite me in the butt in the end.:laughing:

Any opinions?

I think you made a good choice and for the value for money you can't beat it. I believe that AKL concierge is about the same price as a Poly GV room, so you get much more bang for your buck. I have stayed at the Poly and loved it there but I also only paid 250 a night AP rate. I'm also trying AKL for the first time in April for 3 nights with a split stay at OKW for 5 nights. I got a 20% off code for AKL standard view.:yay: Can't wait

We just stayed at AKL with DD 4 and she absolutely loved it there! The pool is great, she loved seeing the animals and loved all of the kids activities.

It did take us a little longer to get to the MK but it wasn't terrible. We just planned accordingly. Buses seemed to come pretty frequently especially in the morning. We rarely waited more than 10 minutes for one and most of the time it was only five minutes or less.

I just switched our reservation over from the Poly to the AKL where we will be able to stay Club Level. We have never stayed at either resort and since this is a short trip for us we decided to give AKL a try. Our daughters are 4 (will turn 5 during this trip), 3 1/2 and 9 months. We normally stay at one of the MK deluxes since the girls are so little but I thought that maybe with not sharing buses it wouldn't be a big deal to stay at AK. Plus I think the girls will get a kick out of the animals.

Did I make the wrong decision? We've stayed CL before with the kids and it was so convenient. I just hope that the fact that the resort is 20 minutes from MK doesn't bite me in the butt in the end.:laughing:

Any opinions?

Since you have stayed at the MK deluxes it might be an adjustment...your kids are young so they may not appreciate the beauty of the animals and resort...You will have strollers that are rough on the buses..and I assume you would want to spend a lot of time at the MK with you daughters. One great positive note..when you get back from a long day you will have the concierge lounge..where alcohol is free...enjoy your trip..;)

AKL is a good value for the money (as a previous poster said), but so is the Polynesian.

Personally, I would have kept the reservation at the Polynesian. The two most important things that factor into choosing a hotel for my family are: 1) Transportation, 2) Theme

We don't rent a car, and visit 2-3 parks per day so transportation is very important. :)

I think you made a good choice and for the value for money you can't beat it. I believe that AKL concierge is about the same price as a Poly GV room, so you get much more bang for your buck. I have stayed at the Poly and loved it there but I also only paid 250 a night AP rate. I'm also trying AKL for the first time in April for 3 nights with a split stay at OKW for 5 nights. I got a 20% off code for AKL standard view.:yay: Can't wait

Oh yeah. AKL CL was only $10 more than the Poly. :woohoo:

We just stayed at AKL with DD 4 and she absolutely loved it there! The pool is great, she loved seeing the animals and loved all of the kids activities.

It did take us a little longer to get to the MK but it wasn't terrible. We just planned accordingly. Buses seemed to come pretty frequently especially in the morning. We rarely waited more than 10 minutes for one and most of the time it was only five minutes or less.

Oh that's good to know! My two older dds LOVE animals. My 3 year old is an animal nut.

Since you have stayed at the MK deluxes it might be an adjustment...your kids are young so they may not appreciate the beauty of the animals and resort...You will have strollers that are rough on the buses..and I assume you would want to spend a lot of time at the MK with you daughters. One great positive note..when you get back from a long day you will have the concierge lounge..where alcohol is free...enjoy your trip..;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I'll just numb my pain every night. LOL

AKL is a good value for the money (as a previous poster said), but so is the Polynesian.

Personally, I would have kept the reservation at the Polynesian. The two most important things that factor into choosing a hotel for my family are: 1) Transportation, 2) Theme

We don't rent a car, and visit 2-3 parks per day so transportation is very important. :)

Hmmmmm.... I thought about that. The kids can really take or leave Epcot at this age. The Poly would have made getting to and fom MK much easier but we would have had to bus to AK or the Studios with strollers regardless. That's why I bring DH. :laughing:

I would take club level anyday, in fact I did! I booked AKL club level from the 40% off postcard and got a killer deal.

We stayed at Poly once and it was way too crowded and noisy.

We booked there for august. It is my dream resort and we got savannah view bunkbed rooms!
We have an 8, 4(wqill turn 5 while we are there) and 2 yr old(will be 2 yr 9 mo when we go)

I love AKL and their busses are great.

AKL is undergoing construction right now but I've heard it doesn't disturb guests much.

And don't forget that with the monorail resorts, taking a bus to a non-mono park means stopping several times along the way to other resorts before you get to where you're going. I think "ya done good" with the AKL. Besides, then you can tell us aaaaalll about it!!! Me and the kids (the kids and I?) are going in August (can we wait??? Noooooo).

I would go with AKL CL. It'll make breakfast in the morning so much easier! Plus, since your children love animals, they'll have a great time! Happy Planning!

We're doing the same the end of April. 3 nights at AKL and 5 nights at OKW. We rented DVC points from a member and will be staying SV Studio. We also got a great price doing it this way. $1240 total for 8 nights.

Lilysmom...you made the right choice. We'll be taking our 2 1/2 y.o. GD there in April. It's her 1st time to WDW. It is a great resort. Your kids will love the animals and pool. I always say it's like getting 2 vacations in 1. We always looked forward to coming back to our resort after the parks. We love waking up in the morn and heading right to the window to see who's hanging around. It's a really great resort. I'm sure the monorail is convenient but there's no other place around like AKL. It is truly unique.
And you added CL in addition !:thumbsup2 I bet you found yourself a new "WDW Home" !

We stayed at AKL for 2 weeks this past christmas and we love it. Our DD (4 yrs old)and DS (20 months) went straight out to the balcony to look at animals each morning. We are debating if we are going back this christmas again.

Oh Yay! I'm so excited. There doesn't really seem to be anyone with anything negative to say about this resort.:goodvibes 11 more days! The girls don't even know we are going. The whole thing is a birthday surprise!!!!:yay:

I think you mad a good choice! We LOVE akl , WE TOOK MY DD2 last sept and she loved it....she loved seeing the animals from the room, it is now our fav resort and we are going back dec 08 and staying club level..I got a great deal of 201.00 a night so it still beats a reg room at the poly...but then again i really dont care about the monarail, we drive to the parks anyway.i think you will love this resort...have fun

I have stayed at both and here is how I look at it. Poly is nice because it is convenient and close to MK. But for the amount you pay I just don't think the rooms and theming and up to the new standard being set by resorts like AKL. The animals, the pool, the lobby are all fantastic at AKL. It is a little bit further to AKL from the parks but you don't share the buses.
Just a personal opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter