I haven’t flown in 10 years! What do I need to know?

CourtneyKaro

Earning My Ears
Well the title is pretty self explanatory lol! Flying from DTW to MCO on 12/14 with DH, DD14 and DS8, my last flight was From DTW to MCO when DD was 4. I know and understand the 311 bags. I have my Drivers License for ID as does Hubby. Do I need the kids birth certificates? I just want this to be as smooth as possible. We are flying delta and staying at the Westin attached to DTW so we don’t have to worry about morning traffic. How much time to I need to allow for checkin and checking our one bag and getting through security? Is 60 min enough? 90? Aside from liquids what should I be prepared to pull out of our carryons? Tablets/phones/charging cords? Headphones? Hubby will have his CPAP in its own bag along with all our meds for the trip. I don’t know why I find this all so nerve wrecking I didn’t use to but the rules have changed so much and I don’t want to do anything that causes someone to get mad at me or worse miss our flight.

We don't fly much either, so I've researched some of this for our flight this afternoon. The kids don't need any ID/birth certificates unless they're flying on a specially priced children's ticket. (Even then, it's to qualify for the reduced price rather than for ID purposes.) Check the website for your airport--they should make a recommendation of how early to arrive. Have a great trip!

Pull tablets out of the bags. Leave the cords in the bag. Cpap in it’s own bag is good. Time to allow, check the Airport’s web site. Depends on time of day.

Westin should be able to give you timing suggestion when you checkin.How far is baggage check area from hotel. Maybe have one person check bags while rest are getting ready

I've been flying a lot for work this fall. From my experiences:

Have your IDs in hand as you get close to the check in podium before the security line. If you have paper boarding passes, have those out. If you're using mobile passes, take a screenshot and have your phone up and ready to scan (rather than using the link which, in my experience, always glitches at the wrong time.) If you are the parents of the kids in tow, you don't need separate IDs for them. You can have them handy but they won't ask, as long as everyone has a boarding pass. (And my kids always seem to get random PreCheck status, for some reason. They LOVE going through the 'fast lane' and keeping their shoes on while I wait in the big line. I just tell them to keep an eye on me from the other side of the screening booth.)

Listen to TSA - they will tell you what to pull out and typically have someone announcing it as you wait in line. Most airports it's any electronic larger than a cell phone, but here at DFW they want ALL electronics out, including cell phones. All of those go in a separate bucket laying flat and cannot overlap. Cords / earbuds / headphones don't need to come out, just things with screens (including Kindles.)

Suitcases (carry on or anticipated gate check) go in their own bucket with liquids set on top. Anything like meds or snacks that would scan as small lumpy items are best in a bag on top as well, so you don't have to get pulled to the side to get those checked after the scan.

Everything out of your pockets, including paper / ID, and into a bucket. Sunglasses, belts, big jewelry, shoes, all off and in a bucket. It's easiest if you wear slip on shoes (flip flops are ideal) because untying in line is a major hold up.

Time to allow really depends on what airport / time of day you are flying. Monday AMs - allow extra time. Anything from MCO - allow LOTS of extra time. Etc. I find it easiest to just follow the 2 hour rule, unless you know the airport you are using well and can predict the ebbs / flows. Even then, weather elsewhere can screw that up. (But I don't like to be stressed about making a flight either. I'd much rather hang out in the airport than be screaming through TSA and running to a gate.)

At the end, after you've grabbed all your stuff out of the bucket, MOVE AWAY from the line to put everything back on / into your bag. There are usually benches or a seating area to do all that, and you want to get out of the crowd of people trying to get their stuff.

It all sounds more complicated than it actually is, you will be fine and I'm sure it will go smoothly. And the kids will have a blast!

Put the CPAP in a large Ziploc bag to protect it, since it may have to come out and into a tray. ASK the TSA agent if the CPAP can remain in the carry-on or needs to be removed from the bag and put in the tray.

See https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/nebulizers-cpaps-bipaps-and-apaps

I travel with a nebulizer and they always tell me to leave it in the bag, but I am always prepared to take it out if needed. Sometimes it gets selected for extra screening and swabbing after the x-ray. If that is the case, I very nicely explain it is medical equipment and politely ask if the TSA agent can please wear new gloves to handle it; they always switch out their gloves.

Will you be bringing distilled water for the CPAP ? It is allowed, but has to be declared as medical liquids and will likely result in some extra screening.

Just budge some extra time to get through security on top of what those without medical equipment would need. I always assume it will take me 30 minutes to get through security itself, not counting any wait times, and am happy when it is less. That way I am not worrying about getting to my gate and have plenty of time.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter