I hate to exercise!

Beth E. (NJ)

<font color=red>Disney obsessed<br><font color=blu
There I said it -- Ok I typed it, but it still counts.

I have always hated exercise. I was a klutzy kid -- not at all athletic. I even failed one semester of gym in high school because I could not do the hurtles in gym. I would run right up to them, panic and then stop.

Now that I am getting older (ick!) my metabolism is slowing down to the point where I think it goes backwards. I used to be a total stick who could eat anything and not gain weight -- but not anymore.

I've been doing Weight Watchers for about 3 weeks now. I've only lost 4 pounds so far. I think I might have been eating too few points so I am going to try to up my point count and see if that helps. I am also vowing to try to get some exercise. I want to start walking around my neighborhood. I also have a old tape with some exercises on it. I might dig it out and try the beginner section.

Ick!

You can do it!! I am also not a lover of exercise. I envy those people who hike and run and bike just for fun. Give me a movie and junior mints any day! But, I have been walking now for almost 8 months regularly. It is my time. I just walk, and daydream, and leave the chaos of my family. I guess just try different things until you find what you like.

UGH! I hate to exercise! The thing that stinks is, I know I have to in order to lose weight. For the past few weeks, I've slacked on the diet and not exercised. Boy, when I got on the scale, you could tell! I had lost 20 pounds, but now gained back 4 1/2! I have an exercise bike at home, but everytime I try to get on it, DS age 1 wants to play with the bike, or me. DH has been traveling alot, so it's really hard to do anything with DS hanging around wanting to play and get his attention. DS loves to hang on me! And, when he goes to sleep, I'm so tired, I fall into bed. And the weather has NOT been cooperating, so I haven't been walking, which is something I could do with DS. Ah, excuses! ;)

Anyway, we are in the same boat. If I think of any great ideas, I'll let you know.

Why can't they just make a pill to melt off all our excess weight AND build up muscle while we sit at our desks or sleep? Boy would life be easy then, wouldn't it? Keep dreaming! haha!!

Hi all! I've been off the boards for a while as I've been busy at work, but I have vowed to check in more often as I miss everyone!!!

I have to admit that I was once a "hater of exercize". But I now do a combo walk/jog for 2 to 3 miles every day. I am addicted!!!
The trick for me was to eliminate all excuses.....and boy could I come up with some doozies!

DH & I invested in a good treadmill this year, so that eliminated the weather excuse.
The time excuse was my other big one. How to solve that.....get up before anyone else does and get it out of the way! I know it sounds horrid, but I wake up at 5:30 and hop right on the treadmill and get going. Then, I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day!

For the first few weeks, I was exhausted. If I dared sit down on the couch after 9:00 PM, I was out. Now I have tons of energy and feel great. And like cmbelle says, its your time. Sometimes I listen to music. Other times I just drift off into daydream land! Its a wonderful way to start the day.

Give it a try....you can do it!

what treadmill did you buy? Mine is about dead, and I really want a new one. I am weighing paying for the cost of a gym or buying a heavy duty machine. My original treadmill was about $500.00 plus a $100.00 repair, and it lasted 4 years.

I also hate exercise. I have been doing Atkins Induction, today is the first day of week 2. I was down by 10 but went up 1 today. I haven't cheated, I really havent. I did get my (you women know, not sure if I can say) today maybe thats the reason. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and exercise. I just really, really hate it. I really do! Maybe if I pretend I am walking around the WS I will fell better, thanks for letting me vent on your thread. Good luck to everyone else with the exercise.

Its a pro-form....not sure of the model number. I'll have to check when I get home.
We got it at Sears for around $600. It's pretty much the middle of the line version that they have. We've been happy with it so far, but both DH & I use it daily. I fear that the regular use will wear on it. We did purchase a 1 yr warranty which includes an annual service.

The really cool thing about this treadmill (we haven't done it yet though), is that you can purchase personal training CD's that you connect to the treadmill. It plays music and drives the training program. You can also purchase a membership at IFIT.com and develop your own personal training plan which you can download to the treadmill.

If you want the specific model number, let me know and I'll check at home.

Thanks for the info. I also have a proform I got from Sear's. It has been great. I guess I'll check out Sear's here soon - I'd love that cd function. Neat.

kidzmom3 - don't give up. At that time of the month for me, I always put on about 3 pounds. It will go away, so don't relapse or beat yourself up. You can do it!!!!

Tough one to get to excercise here too. I tried the 'go to WDW/DL often' trick (ya know, all the walking you have to do there? ;)), but can't keep that pace up, LOL. :D

I started back on my walking, now that the weather is getting great (I use that excuse also). After reading some of the threads here (Buck's running one especially), I got back in the mood to again walk. Out several times this week, doing 2 miles in about 36 minutes, and will try to get back up to the four I had been doing. I do feel better afterward.

With the shoe discussion on that thread and a visit to a knee ortho doc (torn cartilage and some arthritis), I did get a new pair of shoes, New Balance 1121's. I had purchased from that www.roadrunnersports.com before but not for some time. I went thru their 'Shoe Dog' to properly select the correct shoe choice out of the hundreds available. I found it to be very helpful. Now to use the shoes, consistently.

Good luck, Beth, and all.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who hates to excercise. I am going to start walking -- once I get rid of this head cold that has me feeling icky.

I've lost 8 pounds on my diet so far! It is coming off slow, but at least it it coming off. I've been dieting for 6 weeks.

My DH has been dieting for 10 weeks and has lost 25 pounds. I'm trying not to hate him for it - LOL. We are doing Weight Watchers -- his meeting leader told his group that men just lose it much easier than women -- it has something to do with the different body compositions.

I just know that I am motivated to get rid of the weight so I can fit into my old clothes and not have my mother's body anymore.

Beth,
I was told that one of the reasons men lose weight quicker is because they have more muscle mass. And since muscle helps to burn fat, they burn it quicker.
One way to even things out is to include some weight bearing exercizes to your routine. The more muscle you build, the more fat you will burn. Also, after age 35, women start to lose muscle, so you have to build it back up.

Congratulations on your weight loss. You're doing great!! 8 pounds in 6 weeks is terrific. Gradual weight loss is the best way to ensure that you will keep it off once its gone!!

I agree. I hate to exercise. Blech. I think I'll go take the dog for a walk now. That will have to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter