I hate gift cards!

Most gift cards are great. I like to give them and get them in return. But there are some that are a total PITA! I tried using one during the holiday season and I about crawled over the counter to "help" the cashier out. They couldn't figure out how much was on the card. It was large sum to start out with, but I had used a portion of it already. The balance stayed on the card. So when I went back to the mall to use it there were problems. The cashier couldn't ring it up since I didn't know the "exact" amount on it. I told her what it was around. And she said I needed to tell her exactly how much was on it. Said I didn't know, then she told me I needed to go find out and she couldn't ring it up. My purchase was way way less than what was on the card still. I dont see why she couldn't just enter in the price of my purchase and subtract that? I was totatlly irritated by the whole thing. Told her, and her manager so and haven't been back since.

I love gift cards! All the ones I have rec'd if I didn't spend the full amount they would either give me the leftover in money or change the balance on the card depending on how much is leftover. Of course I only get them for places I shop! I'll have to remember to stay away from the visa one.

I had a friend give me a TDS GC--since now TDS is has mostly kids stuff (with the expection of a few snowglobes and park tickets )

man I sure miss the old TDS when youd get the feeling like you were at disney!!

anyway I could use that for $DD that way I knew I wouldnt have problems using them!!

also I have one of those mall GC that has a whopping 0.22 cents on it so I will add to it and get 1DD

Im letting the mall get even 0.22!!

I have a Visa gift card that works like that. When I reached the final balance, I gave the cashier the difference over the remaining balance and used the debit card to pay it off.

In general I don't care for giving gift cards/certificates because the receipient knows how much I spent. Usually my gifts are bargains, way below the apparent price. I got teacher gifts for $5 that would retail for around $50!

However, once our minister's wife did me a huge favor. A personal favor, nothing to do with the church. I gave her a $50 AMEX gift card (was a while ago, don't think there were too many rules on it then) as opposed to cash or a check. I knew with cash or a check she'd just donate it to the church, this way, she had no choice but to spend it on herself. She really deserved something for herself for once!

I've never had aproblem with gift cards here in CA. Maybe it's because they are not allowed to expire? I'll spend less than the card, and I either get the credit on the card given back, or cash.

Also, many are sold around here as "scrip" (fundraisers for schools and churches). Maybe that helps, too?

I keep a plastic envelope (like a coupon holder) to sort and store gift cards.

I really like them, because it's a nice way to help me save for treats. I buy one $10 Starbucks card every month. I also buy some for local restaurants, so when dh and i want to go out, it's like it's prepaid. I also try and buy a Target gift card every month...it really helped me out for the holidays. I know I could save the cash instead, but I don't.

I still give gifts for dd's friends (often a craft set from Michaels, using a 40% off coupon) and younger ds's (sports stuff, cool toys on sale) but for oldest ds, I only give gift cards. Teenagers are hard!

Of course, you have to be organzied with them, but it works for me.

julia

i think it depends on the gift card, ones like wlamart etc do not operate that way, but if you are talking about the ames gift card then i know just what you mean,

i've never had a problem with a gift card before and believe you me, i've used a lot of gift cards! the only thing i hated was the amex gift cards, my family decided it would be the best thing for everyone for christmas one year. what a pain, i had to use it before the end of december (because that was the expiration date). luckily, i found something i wanted.

i've never had to only spend the amount of the gift card, i can't believe stores do that, it seems so stupid! you think they'd actually want you to spend more money!

The State of New Hampshire is cracking down on Mall gift cards, specifically the Simon Mall Visa cards due specifically to all the rules, fees and expiration dates. The State's AG's office calls these "the cards that keep on taking". There is an ongoing lawsuit against these cards right now. I used to purchase these for my niece and nephew for Christmas that live out of state and have a Simon Mall, but no longer. This year I just wrote them each a good old fashioned check.

That being said, not all gc's are the same. I purchase restaurant gc's for my in-laws and check very carefully any terms or conditions. The Red Lobster one did have an expiration date, but they used it in plenty of time. I think the individual store issued cards (Target, Wal-Mart) etc. are generally better than the Visa, Amex etc. cards, but I've given up on them in general. My employer offered us cash (check) or a gift card for Christmas this year and it was pretty much a no-brainer for me!

We use gift cards all the time and have never had that happen. Once with Red Lobster they started subtracting $2.50 a month after a year. I believe TRU do that as well. We always use our Target gift cards for "snacks" icees and popcorn.

Can amounts be added to the card? So if know the purchase will be $32.46, you could add the $7.46 so the card could be used in full?

Illinois actually has a law against gift cards subtracting fees. I was given one for Mario Tricoci and when I went to use it there was a zero balance. They took fees out every month until it was gone! I did some research and found out that if they do this in Illinois that they must show it as unclaimed property after five years. It is much easier for them to honor it now if you call to complain. I was told they will honor it, but actually haven't cashed it in yet. I hope this helps someone.

That's odd! I've always used gift cards and can pay the amount over whatever the gift card is.

What kind of GC??

We received $20.00 Visa gift cards that worked that way-our son tried to buy a 19.99 video game-tax made it 21 and change. The card would not work since we went over the 20.00-most gift cards would take the 20 off, and we would pay the difference in cash-Not Visa.

We gave the 20.00 to our son in cash and used the Visa card to put 20.00 in gas in the tank. We drove away happy with a 1/4 tank of gas. :guilty:

Hmm don't really know if I have anything to add to this little discussion.

I can see both sides of the gc issue (love 'em and hate 'em).

I love getting my 'Christmas Bonus' from work in the form of a Costco gc. It means that I can go to Costco at least a couple of times without having to have a membership. I don't go often anyway because it's too far away and I have a tiny food budget. But it's fun to buy movies and books and just to wander and see what's available now and again.

On the other hand I can see where in some cases it can be rather impersonal. Especially if it's for a store or product you either don't have easy access to or care for.

I remember getting a $5 gc from my phone company for signing up for service but I could never get it to work anywhere. Wonder if that was cuz I wasn't buying things that were just $5. Hmmm.

It's just like everything else out there...read the fine print.

texasthree said:
That must of been a visa gift card not a specific store. Those visa gift cards you can buy at the bank are terrible. They are impossible to use the full amount. Visa is making a killing on them!

Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this is a double post. In the past, I have used the visa gift card to pay for gasoline. No problem spending an exact $25 at the gas station!!! Then, I'll take the $$ I would have spent at the gas station to use at the store of my choice.

I have a second (PT) job in a mall store... this is what I learned about GCs... our registers are set up that you can enter the amount the person wants to put on a specific type of pmt (eg credit card, gift card, cash, check) OR if you don't type in an amt, the register assumes that the full amount is being paid by whatever type you choose.

So -- if your purchase is 27.15 and you want to put 25.00 on a GC, we are supposed to type in 25.00, which leaves you a balance of 2.15...that can be paid however. We don't have to do it in any specific order.

I have alot of folks that use multiple gift cards and since I found out how to key them...I've not had any problems. In fact, some folks don't keep up with the card balance...and there have been times when I've started at an amt and worked down until we find an amt that is authorized.

I'm not sure if other registers are the same...but maybe this will help you to use your card. :)

Ginny

InstImpres said:
Those tiny Visa Gift Card "leftover amounts" are great for an online Disney payment. Obviously not much of payment but a good way to use them up.

I did something similiar...I had several that I used on the Disney ship to pay toward our shipboard account. All were under $10, but added together they probably paid for a yummy frothy drink.

Ginny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter