I feel like a newbie!

belle&beast

DIS Veteran
Our last WDW vacation was 4 years ago. While we were on vacation, we realized our family of 4 would be a family of 5 for our next trip! ;) So, it has been 5 years since I planned a Disney vacation and we can no longer stay in 1 value room. Our kids are 11, 9 and 3 right now and we are hoping to get back to WDW in either October or December 2013. Any suggestions for resorts with kids with age gaps? Our first thought is a suite, but we have always used the DDP, and really haven't needed a kitchen. All suggestions are welcome- thanks!!!

Good morning and congratulations!

In what I think is the order from cheapest to most expensive for a family of 5:
- a Trundle or Murphy Bed room at Port Orleans Riverside
- a Family Suite at All Star Music
- two (hopefully) connecting rooms at a Value
- a Cabin at Fort Wilderness
- a Family Suite at Art of Animation
- a room in the Garden Wing at the Contemporary
- a room in most of the Deluxes (except Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge-- their standard rooms don't sleep 5)

The only of those options that has a full kitchen is the Cabin. Good luck!

Aliceacc gave some good details regarding the costs:thumbsup2.
You really need to determine what you want for your family, your budget, etc.

I have heard that the family Suites at Art of Imagination are really nice and relatively affordable.

The Dining Plan is always a hotly debated topic. If you don't do the DDP, then you may want to consider Tables In Wonderland where you pay for the card and then get a discount for all of your food.

IMO, the DDP for the kids is a great deal. Especially if you're doing any character meal or the buffet type meals. I think for < 10 year olds, it's around $15\day. So if you do a few of the costlier meals )Le Cellier, Cinderella's Royal Table, Crystal Palace...), then it may behoove you to have the DDP. Again, askk 10 people and you may get 10 very different answers!

belle&beast said:
Our last WDW vacation was 4 years ago. While we were on vacation, we realized our family of 4 would be a family of 5 for our next trip! ;) So, it has been 5 years since I planned a Disney vacation and we can no longer stay in 1 value room. Our kids are 11, 9 and 3 right now and we are hoping to get back to WDW in either October or December 2013. Any suggestions for resorts with kids with age gaps? Our first thought is a suite, but we have always used the DDP, and really haven't needed a kitchen. All suggestions are welcome- thanks!!!

My husband and I don't have kids yet but we often travel with large parties that sometimes include kids. We stayed at the Art of Animation Nemo Family Suite for Thanksgiving 2012! It was a huge room with plenty of space for 6 adults. There are also two bathrooms (one with a tub and one with a walk-in shower). There is also no kitchen just a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. Although we have been spoiled by being dvc members and staying in the higher priced resorts with way more comfy beds!!!!! We had a back ache the whole stay!
We have also stayed at the one bedroom villa at Old Key West. It does have a full kitchen. It was very nice as well. The bathroom situation confused us because there were two separate rooms but there was only one potty?!?!?? Also there was a full sized washer and dryer! That was awesome! Although I don't have kids, my husband gets something on his shirt Every time we eat. It was also July when we went and it was like 100 everyday! We went back to the room and changed clothes about 2:00 everyday! We just went ahead and washed our clothes! It was nice not to spend a week washing after we got home!

We also have Tables in Wonderland. In 2012 we visited WDW 6 times. We didn't want to eat the entire time we were there which is sometimes what happens depending in where you eat and the crowd. We decided to eat at one or two places during each visit. We found that tables in wonderland helped out with that. Others in our groups traveling that only visited once a year did buy the dining plan. We went with them a few times but did our own thing other times. But since this is a one time visit it would definitely live it up with the ddp and go to like every character dinner! It's the best way to get autographs without standing in a 45 minute line!

Hope I could help! Have a magical trip! (Also if you go in October you can participate in EPCOTs International Food and Wine Festival)

Thanks, everyone! We have really loved using the DDP in the past, so it it definitely is in the plans unless we end up staying off-site. (Not my first choice.) I just looked up Tables in Wonderland, and I don't think we would be able to purchase it- we are not Florida residents or DVC owners.

But, that brings up another idea- renting DVC points. I checked out that forum today and it is a little overwhelming. Can anyone direct me to a good link where I can find the number of points required for stays at each resort? TIA!

belle&beast said:
Thanks, everyone! We have really loved using the DDP in the past, so it it definitely is in the plans unless we end up staying off-site. (Not my first choice.) I just looked up Tables in Wonderland, and I don't think we would be able to purchase it- we are not Florida residents or DVC owners.

But, that brings up another idea- renting DVC points. I checked out that forum today and it is a little overwhelming. Can anyone direct me to a good link where I can find the number of points required for stays at each resort? TIA!

You can just google dvc points chart 2013. And several charts come up. Also mousesavers is a good site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter