I don't think my Walmart shoes are going to cut it

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Just got in from my three miles which I walk on my road and into other roads in my community. I love walking like that verses on a track or a shorter trail. The course is not flat at all at the beginning and end, numerous hills to conquer, but I get it done. But when I came in tonight the sole of my left foot hurt really bad. I took off my sock and it looked really red, kinda sunburned looking. So sore. I guess I will have to look into getting a good pair of shoes and/or wrap this foot up?

Good that you recognize that your current shoes aren't working (and possibly socks). You need to have a cushioned pair of shoes with a good footbed to give you support. And socks are important too. They need to be a wicking material, appropriate thickness.

The best option is to go to a store that sells running shoes/walking shoes and have them help you. Yes, it will cost more--especially that first time--but if you intend to make this a (healthy) habit, then it is worth the investment. The downside of walking/running in the wrong shoes can run from the minor (blisters) to the major (leg/foot injury), ad the cost to get it right can be a lot less than fixing the cost of getting it wrong.

Find a local running store and spend some time with a fitter trying different shoes. While there look at their sock wall and buy at least one pair of every style of sock that you would wear; I am super picky about my socks so usually there are only 2 or 3 styles for me to choose. Wear each pair casually first to see if you like them; if you do try them for a work out, if you don’t they remain casual socks.

My normal shoes are a different size and width than my running shoes which is why I suggest working with a fitter at the store.

My husband was like, ya I could have told you that you needed a "good" pair of shoes. Taking a break today and tomorrow. Hopefully will find me something this weekend.

Find a local running store and spend some time with a fitter trying different shoes. While there look at their sock wall and buy at least one pair of every style of sock that you would wear; I am super picky about my socks so usually there are only 2 or 3 styles for me to choose. Wear each pair casually first to see if you like them; if you do try them for a work out, if you don’t they remain casual socks.

My normal shoes are a different size and width than my running shoes which is why I suggest working with a fitter at the store.
Right now I am just really walking at a brisk pace. Three miles now, but it up it to four in June. So are the socks that important for such right now? If so, I will get some.

Right now I am just really walking at a brisk pace. Three miles now, but it up it to four in June. So are the socks that important for such right now? If so, I will get some.

Yes, socks can make a difference. What works for a slow stroll does not necessarily work well for a brisk walk, especially as you pick up distance. Example, two years ago DH started walking with me on some weekends as it was the only way to spend time with me as I trained. After his 2nd hot spot, and first blister, I finally managed to get him to buy running socks and stop wearing cotton socks when we went out. No more hot spots, no more blisters. He was shocked at how much of a difference getting into the right socks made. We were not moving really fast either as my training pace at that point was between 14-15 minute miles.

Yes, socks can make a difference. What works for a slow stroll does not necessarily work well for a brisk walk, especially as you pick up distance. Example, two years ago DH started walking with me on some weekends as it was the only way to spend time with me as I trained. After his 2nd hot spot, and first blister, I finally managed to get him to buy running socks and stop wearing cotton socks when we went out. No more hot spots, no more blisters. He was shocked at how much of a difference getting into the right socks made. We were not moving really fast either as my training pace at that point was between 14-15 minute miles.
Will do. Socks, shoes and a gun holster. I will get it done.

You want moisture wicking socks that fit right. As others have previously shared, doing it right the first time helps prevent problems later on. I recommend that you find shoes that fit you and yes it's worth paying for a good pair of running shoes. A good running store will help you find what works best for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts