I don´t want to bring bad news but....

I think the promo will mirror last fall's bounceback, with a shortened window of dates available. Leaving values excluded completely is a great way to kill occupancy at all their value resorts. Plus Disney has to know that many people have booked expecting a free dining.

Also, there have been CMs saying that a discount is coming for fall, but not released yet. The writing is on the wall and I'm predicting things will be very similar to last year with possibly a shorter date window.

Danny has been spot-on for years....It's not that we are"entitled"to discounts,but that's what has been helping us get there for the last 5 years,and we are thankful we were able to have those wonderful vacations;but if they cut out the values,we will more than likely stay off property,or even,worst case scenario,go somewhere else.:scared1::scared1::scared1: We LOVE WDW,but with prices rising like they have been over the last 5 years or so,we may have to be satisfied looking at the 1000's of pictures from previous trips for our Disney Fix!I don't know if we'll be making a trip anytime soon without some kind of discount.:confused3

I had to chime in here. I am finding that compared to our past trips, prices this year just seem ridiculous. I've always put off going to Hawaii because of the "price" -- mostly for airfare. But, we finally went last year. Paid $2500 for 4 airline tickets, approx $1000 for accommodations and about $1700 spending money for 5 days.
This year...without any discount to stay at a MOD would run us roughly $2500 with 5 day base tickets...and we paid $1450 for airfare. Before spending money for the week...we're already over what we paid for Hawaii. This might be our last trip for a while...especially if there is no summer offer.
Last trip we stayed at AKL for less than what it is going to cost us for CBR this year. With one kid heading into high school and the other a 7th grader....sports...drivers ed....etc...and all the other expenses that come with having teens....I see Disney as a distant memory after this year if rates continue to climb!

Rates are climbing because people are paying ::yes:: If someone can't afford it this year you bet they'll be saving for next year or the year after.In the meantime new visitors will arrive and pay the going rate or folks who just love WDW and will give up OTHER THINGS to go . Bottom line is Disney knows what it's doing when it comes to making money. Great for stockholders :thumbsup2

momof2intx said:
I had to chime in here. I am finding that compared to our past trips, prices this year just seem ridiculous. I've always put off going to Hawaii because of the "price" -- mostly for airfare. But, we finally went last year. Paid $2500 for 4 airline tickets, approx $1000 for accommodations and about $1700 spending money for 5 days.
This year...without any discount to stay at a MOD would run us roughly $2500 with 5 day base tickets...and we paid $1450 for airfare. Before spending money for the week...we're already over what we paid for Hawaii. This might be our last trip for a while...especially if there is no summer offer.
Last trip we stayed at AKL for less than what it is going to cost us for CBR this year. With one kid heading into high school and the other a 7th grader....sports...drivers ed....etc...and all the other expenses that come with having teens....I see Disney as a distant memory after this year if rates continue to climb!

The rates are expensive and perhaps after our upcoming trip we will go somewhere else in the US or Hawaii, which likely will work out cheaper.

Disneyland Paris is far, far worse expense wise- a three night trip we were quoted about $4500- for one room and park tickets for five people but no food or transport. Ouch. WDW seems like a bargain compared to that! ;)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Rates are climbing because people are paying ::yes:: If someone can't afford it this year you bet they'll be saving for next year or the year after.In the meantime new visitors will arrive and pay the going rate or folks who just love WDW and will give up OTHER THINGS to go . Bottom line is Disney knows what it's doing when it comes to making money. Great for stockholders :thumbsup2

I'm a stockkholder but don't think the rising resort rates are great.:sad2:

Would like to think they're 'challenging the market' and if people don't pay the higher rates they'll offer more promos/pins. I don't think next year's rates will drop but perhaps they won't increase as much as this year.

I'm a stockkholder but don't think the rising resort rates are great.:sad2:

Would like to think they're 'challenging the market' and if people don't pay the higher rates they'll offer more promos/pins. I don't think next year's rates will drop but perhaps they won't increase as much as this year.

Also a stockholder and I'm ok with price increases. However if rates stay the same in 2014 I;ll be ok with that also. Absolutely hate free dining so glad that seems to be winding down. Might not get rid of it totally but that's ok too.:thumbsup2

Man o man...

Remember the days when the DP included the gratuity and an appetizer? And they gave it away free.

That was a nice discount for us, family of 7.

Now I ran the math and the room discount and pay for meals OOP option is pretty much the same as rack rate and FD.

So we still get a discount, it's just that it used to be about $1500k - to $2000 (for FD over the years) and now it's about $1000 (for a room discount at Poly. Of course other resorts would be even less).

Man o man...

Remember the days when the DP included the gratuity and an appetizer? And they gave it away free.

QUOTE]

and remember all those people complaing that they wish that they could adjust the gratuity....like it was their money? and it was too much food...
it was the best deal EVER! some people like to complain.

Also a stockholder and I'm ok with price increases. However if rates stay the same in 2014 I;ll be ok with that also. Absolutely hate free dining so glad that seems to be winding down. Might not get rid of it totally but that's ok too.:thumbsup2

Im a stockholder as well. Disney will do what it needs to regardless. Im sure there will be a bit of a price increase. But there will always be some kind of discount. I look forward to seeing the rates for packages in 2014. :coffee:

Man o man...

That was the PERFECT dining plan! Now it is either too much with Deluxe, last time we felt like we were overstuffed bolsters rolling from one meal to the next, or too little, only 1 TS without an appetizer.

I really wish they would bring back the old DP even if it was never offered for free....

I'm a stockholder also, but our stock has really not gone up. I've had mine for over 20 years and the value is pretty much the same.

I have to stay at the All Star Resort and need the Free Dining to be able to afford a yearly trip. The jump to Moderates is considerable, even with the Free Dining. That money pays for the airfare and rental car.

Here's hoping Disney doesn't do away with discounts.

I don't care if it is free dining or some other promo, but we also won't book without a discount. IMO the resort rooms are overpriced on purpose, so a "deal" can be offered. Same idea as stores, such as Kohl's. Noone goes in there and pays full price. Parks may be busy but resort bookings will decline swiftly without any incentive to stay there. Most people I know don't stay on site anyway. We, on the other hand, wouldn't go at all if not on site. The DDP is also no value to us. Used to like it but now too expensive for food that isn't what we'd prefer to order. Now we do mostly CS and a few TS (avoiding buffets) and are able to order/eat the way we like. The only way we'd ever do it again is if it were the best discount avail for our preferred dates.

Thanks Danny25 for the heads up!:thumbsup2
Luckily we booked the Disney visa spring promo and saved $1300 at BCR!

This is my thinking too. No one can really believe that Disney was giving us something for nothing with the FD. We were certainly paying for it with increased prices across the board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter