I do get to go! I do get to go! A trip that almost wasn't! Update 1/25

caught up. I thought I was being notified but I was not.

great pics.

Okay..you can "Blame it On the Rain" (that was my Milli Vanilli moment-I don't know if you remember that song) :laughing:

My first day back is the 20th. Boo.

I don't remember that song but of course I do remember Milli Vanilli :rotfl:

Ugh you start a week before me...but that means you probably end a week before me too, luckyyyy.

My 2008 Review

2008 was a whirlwind of a year for me...Wow where to begin to explain..I'll try my best...

January

Throughout the beginning of January, I was packing and getting ready to transfer to a new college that my B/F goes to. I was nervous, scared, and excited at the same time. In my application letter, I requested the new dorm building that my B/F was in because the rooms there were suites! There was a living room, a kitchen, two bathrooms, and each of us (4 to a suite) had our own room! When I got my letter in the mail telling me what dorm I was in and who my roommates were, I was so excited to find out I was in the dorm I requested! And to make things better, I realized I was in the room right next to my B/F! He practically just lived in my room with me and only went to his room to get ready in the morning. :laughing: I started e-mailing my other roommates and got to know them. I am now really close with one of them.

Now, another important thing happened in January. We have this family that my family is really good friends with. In September of 2007, the dad had a heart attack and passed away. At the time of his death, their two sons were 4 and 3. The 4 year old was talking to the dad when he had the heart attack. The boys were pretty shook up. And to make matters worse, they had just found out the day before he died that they were pregnant again. He said it was going to be a girl, so that's what we were hoping for. We're so close with them, that the mom invited my mom, sis, and me to go with her and the boys to the sonogram in January to find out the sex of the baby. We had to keep it a secret from everyone else until the baby was born though! And guess what it was?! A GIRL! When the nurse told us, we all started crying. It was a surreal moment to not have the dad there with us. The dad's name was Brian so the mom decided to name the baby Brianna after him. She was born in May and looks exactly like him. The other day she was in her high chair, and Steph (the mom) was in the laundry room and heard Brianna laughing hysterically. Steph peeked around the corner and saw Brianna just looking up laughing like someone was standing next to her and playing with her. We think it was Brian. :)

Here we are just pulling up to my dorm building to check-in:

movingin2.jpg

Here's my sis and I while unloading the car:

movingin1.jpg

Here we are at the bowling alley in the town I go to college at our first week at school:

my roommate:

bowling2.jpg

her friends:

bowling1.jpg

Here we are at the doctor's office waiting to go in for the sonogram. The boys made my sis read to them and they both wanted to sit on her lap :laughing: :

doctors.jpg

February

B/F and I come home every weekend because we are big family people. We love being at home and miss them during the week. My sis is a cheerleader at her high school so we'd usually go watch her cheer on Friday nights at the home basketball games. My little cousin would usually come with us and he loves to cheer with us. Here's some pics we took at a game:

He loves to be with Papa. He calls him "Pa" but it sounds like "Paw" :laughing: :

IMG_5570.jpg

He'd clap when we made a basket:

IMG_5595.jpg

At halftime, he always has to run down and see my sis. She loves showing him off to her friends:

IMG_5589.jpg

IMG_5587.jpg

March

Finally, March had come and Spring Break was here! My roommate that I had become good friends with and her boyfriend came down to visit us for a few days. We showed them around and had a party of one of my B/F's friend's house who also goes to college with us so he knows them too. My roommate had already met my parents, so I wanted her to meet my uncle, my aunt, and my step-cousin, and my little cousin. I'm so glad she did because who know the next week would change my life forever...

Sunday was Easter, so we went to Granny's and celebrated Papa's birthday which was Wednesday as well. It was so weird, because when I went to leave, I had this feeling that I was going to miss my aunt more than usual so I gave her a HUGE hug and picked her up! Who knew that would be my last time seeing her...We got along with her so well..She was 28 and my uncle was 39 so there was a bit of an age difference but you could never tell.

I went back to school Monday and on Wednesday, my mom calls me to tell me that she and my sis had to take my aunt to the hospital because her migrain medicine wasn't working and she wanted to get her medicine changed. My mom and sis sat with her in the waiting room for 3 hours and she seemed fine...I don't want to get into detail about everything but..on Thursday my sister calls and says "I need you to sit down." I had just gotten back to my dorm from having dinner with my B/F, our two friends, and my roommate so they were all in the living room with me. I said "Okay...." And she goes "Aunt Leslie died". And I screamed, "What?!" and started bawling and screaming so loud. I had to give the phone to my B/F so he could get more information because I couldn't breathe, speak, or think. I just sat down and was shaking and crying. To make a long story short...she um...chose to...I don't want to say anything else about it..but I miss her so much. My grandma has basically been living at my uncle's because this was my uncle's first baby (He just turned 2) and he was still learning because he was always away at work while my aunt stayed home. So, I began coming home every weekend to take care of the baby so grandma could go home and get some rest. He has become like my own child and I care for him more than anything in the world. He is the light of my life and what has kept me going through all of this. I began going to therapy in the summer and now am on anti-depressants and doing better each day..it's been a long road, but I'll get there...

Easter/Papa's B-day:

eastermomcamera029.jpg

eastermomcamera011.jpg

eastermomcamera012.jpg

He loves to ham it up for the camera:

eastermomcamera013.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Hunting for Easter eggs:

eastermomcamera017.jpg

eastermomcamera028.jpg

020.jpg

Our last family picture with my aunt:

all10-1.jpg

This picture of her was turned into a beautiful painting that was up at the visitation/funeral. It's now hanging in my uncle's house..I look at it often:

leslie.jpg

Up next time: April, May, and June!

I'm sorry to hear of the sadness that came to your family this past year, but through it all, you have also seen strength, support, joy, and an abundance of love, and I'm sure you have all drawn closer and more appreciative of one another as you have coped with it all.

I got a kick out of the cheerleaders going ga-ga over the little guy. I've watched that happen many times as my kids were growing up. Classmate would bring in little friends, cousins, or whoever, and all the girls would ooh and aah over them. So sweet. The boys usually just kept playing basketball or soccer or whatever they were doing and didn't pay much attention to the little one. They focused on the practice or the game and saved their oohing and aahing for the big girls later on! ;)

The John Deere cake was cute. John is a big John Deere man and has great memories of spending time with his grandfather doing things with, on, and around tractors. If they ever have a boy, a little John Deer outfit will be in his wardrobe, I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing your family with us. We'll look forward to seeing more pictures of that happy Disney trip you were able to take. Seems like it was a very needed and well-deserved getaway for you all.

The baby is so blessed to have you in his life, and you know you are blessed to have him in yours. God Bless your family.

Hey I read your update last night but I didn't comment because I didn't know if you were doing another part to it lol But anyway, I'm so sorry about your loss last year :guilty: as you know my family recently had a loss too and I know its so tough...but you have a great family thats done a great job of helping your uncle and little cousin get through it all. They're so lucky to have you guys :hug:

Otherwise though, it sounds like you had a good first part of 2008, moving into a new dorm and to a new college and stuff is always exciting. And you cousin is ADORABLE!! Can't wait to hear the restttt:goodvibes

i'm so glad you're doing a year in review too! i like yours - you're doing more writing than i did. mine are mostly just pictures because i'm lazy! :laughing:

your nephew is so cute!!!! i'm so glad he has someone like you in his life. he's a very lucky boy. and i'm so sorry to hear about your aunt and your family friend that had the heart attack. :hug: you're such a good person for stepping up like you did to help care for your nephew. i had a second cousin who did the same thing your aunt did, although i wasn't as close to her because she lived in indiana. but i get a sense of how hard that is to deal with from talking to her mom and sister. here's another hug for good measure! :hug:

So sorry to hear about your Aunt and family friend. It is always hard to lose someone you care about. You have many positive things in your life, and seem to find the goodness in those around you. Thank you for sharing your past year. Time heals.:hug:

I'm sure you have all drawn closer and more appreciative of one another as you have coped with it all.

I got a kick out of the cheerleaders going ga-ga over the little guy.

The John Deere cake was cute.

We'll look forward to seeing more pictures of that happy Disney trip you were able to take. Seems like it was a very needed and well-deserved getaway for you all.

We definately have grown closer. We love showing the little guy off any chance we get! I'm glad you like the cake! We tried to make it look decent! :laughing: You're right, the trip was very needed. Even though, the whole time I was missing the little man. I called my grandma every day and had to hear his voice. One time he accidently called me while playing with my B/F's phone when my B/F was over eating lunch with him on his work break! :laughing:

The baby is so blessed to have you in his life, and you know you are blessed to have him in yours. God Bless your family.

Wow, that was so nice of you to say. :hug: It means a lot.

So sorry you have had such a rough year. It can only get better in 09! :hug:

I hope '09 is better!

Hey I read your update last night but I didn't comment because I didn't know if you were doing another part to it lol But anyway, I'm so sorry about your loss last year :guilty: as you know my family recently had a loss too and I know its so tough...but you have a great family thats done a great job of helping your uncle and little cousin get through it all. They're so lucky to have you guys :hug:

Otherwise though, it sounds like you had a good first part of 2008, moving into a new dorm and to a new college and stuff is always exciting. And you cousin is ADORABLE!! Can't wait to hear the restttt:goodvibes

Yeah, I was getting tired and decided to call it a night. :laughing: Yeah, I'm sorry for your loss as well :hug:. I just came home from giving the little guy a bath so I smell like his baby lotion. Yummy. My favorite smell :goodvibes.

It was exciting moving into a dorm! It was nice having a suite!

i'm so glad you're doing a year in review too! i like yours - you're doing more writing than i did. mine are mostly just pictures because i'm lazy! :laughing:

your nephew is so cute!!!! i'm so glad he has someone like you in his life. he's a very lucky boy. and i'm so sorry to hear about your aunt and your family friend that had the heart attack. :hug: you're such a good person for stepping up like you did to help care for your nephew.

Yeah, I'm sorry I took your idea of the review :flower3:. I blame Mel. She talked me into it. :laughing:

Just to tell you that the little guy is my cousin, not nephew. It's okay, I might've worded it weird. I'm glad you think he's cute. I love sharing pictures with you. :hug:

Thanks so much for joining in!

So sorry to hear about your Aunt and family friend. It is always hard to lose someone you care about. You have many positive things in your life, and seem to find the goodness in those around you. Thank you for sharing your past year. Time heals.:hug:

Thanks. So glad you're here! I'll be adding the next few months soon and adding more of WDW trip!

April

We entered April with heavy hearts. It hurt me to think that my little guy is never going to know his mommy. So, I have taken it upon myself to finish his baby book and make photo albums for him. We also have a measuring chart up on the wall to measure him each month to watch him grow. We have also taken him to get his 18 months and 2 year pictures so far. Me, him, and Papa are the only ones in our family with blonde hair so whenever I have him somewhere they always think he's mine. :laughing: And I'm bad....I go along with it. :flower3: :cutie:

Also, I forgot to mention, during these months B/F and I were looking for apartments in our college town and found a great one! We signed the lease and could move in at the beginning of June! I was so excited! See...I have a little OCD and anxiety, so that was the only hard part of living with other people that I have never met before. Not very many people know that outside my family, so you should all feel special that I'm sharing these things with you! And let me tell you, the apartment has helped ease my nerves so much!

Early April, we celebrated my B/F's 20th birthday:

momscameraprom001.jpg

momscameraprom004.jpg

momscameraprom002.jpg

He likes riding this backwards:

momscameraprom006.jpg

He loves us to read to him:

momscameraprom013.jpg

We always have to put this tent up in the living room for him when he comes over my house:

momscameraprom015.jpg

momscameraprom018.jpg

momscameraprom007.jpg

And the week after, sis's cheerleading squad performed a dance at the halftime of our local arena football game. It's also the place that has concerts and many of the Disney on Ice shows so it was a big deal for her! Here she is with our step-cousin after she performed:

momscameraprom005.jpg

Late April, sis was dating a guy from another school and got invited to his Prom! Every dance, our family friend (the wife of the guy who had the heart attack) always does our make-up because she's a Mary-Kay lady. Here sis is with the boys and the mom (who was ready to pop in May!):

momscameraprom024.jpg

momscameraprom026.jpg

We had to go over and show Granny, Papa, Uncle, and the little man how good she looked:

momscameraprom038.jpg

momscameraprom044.jpg

He loves carrying my purse around and putting on my shoes. Every time I'm there. He thinks he's hot stuff in my shoes:

momscameraprom046.jpg

momscameraprom047.jpg

Here we are at her b/f's house (they have broke-up since then):

momscameraprom048.jpg

momscameraprom056.jpg

May

May had finally come and B/F and I were done for the semester! I had survived my first semester away from home! :woohoo: During May, I also had my job interview for my internship at Lutheran Social Services (which you already know I got!) I then found out I was able to go to WDW and began getting stuff together for that as well. Sorry I don't have any pictures from this month. :laughing:

June

June 2nd was my first day on the job. My hours were 8-5 every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with an hour break for lunch. It was long long long hours when you're the new one and can't really do everything that the experienced social workers were. I just tagged along to every outing they had to meet with clients, supervise home visits, or even to court hearings.

June 14th we left for WDW! And you are finding out how that went. :laughing:

Up next: July, August, and September

Aw, I'm so sorry about the losses you experienced last year. I had no idea you were dealing with so much, I hope you're doing OK :hug: On a brighter note, your little cousin is the absolute cutest thing! Those chubby cheeks and big, blue eyes are adorable :goodvibes It's an amazing thing what you're doing, stepping in to almost play "mom," and making sure he has everything he needs. You'll both be so close and I know he'll appreciate it in the future :cutie:

Aw, I'm so sorry about the losses you experienced last year. I had no idea you were dealing with so much, I hope you're doing OK :hug: On a brighter note, your little cousin is the absolute cutest thing! Those chubby cheeks and big, blue eyes are adorable :goodvibes It's an amazing thing what you're doing, stepping in to almost play "mom," and making sure he has everything he needs. You'll both be so close and I know he'll appreciate it in the future :cutie:

Thanks Mel. :hug: Those blue eyes make it hard to say no to him sometimes! :laughing: My next post will have July-which means you'll get to see the dress I bought in Adventureland by the Magic Carpets AND you'll get to see my new tattoo!

July

Finally it was July! The month of my birthday! We had a luau out on our deck and made margaritas! I can't show all the pictures because some of them contain alcoholic beverages, but I'll show you some of them! I'm also wearing the dress that I mentioned buying in Adventureland at the MK:

mom and I:

momcamera07-14-08004.jpg

Granny and Papa with their grandkids:

momcamera07-14-08008.jpg

Sis, Uncle, and I. (the little guy's dad):

momcamera07-14-08020.jpg

He had a ball playing with this fountain. He eventually put his Sunny D in it :laughing: :

momcamera07-14-08018.jpg

We love having cook-outs during the summer:

momcamera07-14-08035.jpg

momcamera07-14-08036.jpg

A week after my birthday, I was allowed to get my other birthday present: my 2nd tattoo! The bird is for my grandparents because they love to bird watch, the flower is for my Aunt who passed away, and the "Live, Laugh, Love" is for my friend who passed away in a car accident when we were Seniors. The quote was on her program for her visitation/funeral.

newtattoo.jpg

August

Sis's birthday month!

The little guy loves sitting on my B/F's lap and help him with whatever he's doing:

akbday001.jpg

We got him a ball pit to play in at our house. We also set up a little tv so he can watch his movies and we can still watch our shows on the big tv :laughing: :

akbday010.jpg

Here's the shirt we got the little guy at WDW. He's poking his eye because he's telling me he wants to hold the camera :laughing: :

akbday013.jpg

We decided to draw on the sidewalk with chalk:

akbday016.jpg

Here's the aftermath:

akbday019.jpg

We were playing under the table:

akbday023.jpg

akbday026.jpg

And here's the aftermath of cake. We let him go all out :laughing: :

akbday021.jpg

September

School started back up :guilty:. But, it was exciting being our first semester in our apartment! We still come home every weekend. And went to all the home football games to watch my sis cheer.

He fell asleep like this while over at our house one day:

momscamera0924001.jpg

The little guy made me take him down to sis. He picked up her poms and was yelling :laughing: :
momscamera0924006.jpg

****Continued in next post****

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter