I BOUGHT MY FIRST SCRAPBOOK! now what?!

Ladybugsy

DIS Veteran
I have no idea where to begin. I know next to nothing about scrapbooking, but wanted to get started as my 14 year old daughter is interested in it, and I need something to do to spend time with her. Plus, it looks fun...lol. Are there any good beginner sites out there? I also need to know what basics I need before I start. I got excited this morning and bought a book, a brass alphabet template, jewel tone paper, and a glue stick...lol. Probably not the right thing, but if I didn't buy something, I wouldn't have an excuse to start!
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! I'm a little overwhelmed. :crazy:

Scissors, paper trimmer, photo squares, cardstock, exacto knife, cutting board, are some of the things I started with.

Ladybugsy...Noticed you're in Panama City, FL. We'll be in your neck of the woods in July. We have a time share condo at Casa Blanca next to Holiday Inn Sunspree....LOVE PANAMA CITY BEACH! :banana: Anyway...on to the question...

Getting started is bit overwhelming. My suggestion would be buy some scrapbook magazines. I like Simple Scrapbooks b/c they're pretty basic and don't get into all the "foo-foo" stuff. I wish you were closer b/c I have a TON I'd like to get rid of. IMO, the basic items you will need are a good pair of scissors, a 12" trimmer, adhesive of some sort...I started out w/photo tabs from Creative Memories and altho I've tried other things, I always go back to them. I also have a tape runner for the big stuff. Get a few good caligraphy pens, some good card stock in basic colors, a few embellishments like stickers, die cuts and the like and then decide what you want to do. If your daughter is involved in a sport, band, her pets, or a club that's a good place to start. You could also focus on vacations you've taken together. Get paper and stickers that relate to her special topic.

When I first started scrapping I decided I was going to make an album for each of my girls doing 3 or 4 pages for each year. Well, my first mistake was using an 8 x 10 album...just not enough room so now I'm using 12 x 12 top loading albums and really like that alot better. Of course w/my oldest daughter I've made it to 4th grade (she's starting 10th in the fall!) and for my younger 2 girls I haven't even began!! :blush: So, realizing I couldn't do this, I decided to focus on vacations and have scrapped our last 3 trips to
Panama City Beach, a family reunion to Evansville, IN, our Disney trip in 2004
(that was 3 albums worth!!) and the cruise my DH and I took in Nov 2005. I have also scrapped several pictures from Hawaii, misc Caribbean islands and different cruise ships. I'm a travel agent and thought it'd be nice for those that have never been on a cruise or to Cancun or wherever to see what these places actually look like. So far it's workd pretty well.

The more you do, the better experienced you'll become and then will be willing to try things more. My style has changed alot in the last 5 yrs or so and yours will too. Just have fun and enjoy the time w/your daughter.
Hope that helps some.

Karen

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement! And welcome to my neck of the woods, TN Traveler. I moved to Florida from Chattanooga about 8 years ago. I grew up here and although the mountains are beautiful there is nothing like the smell of the Gulf on a breezy day. My husband is a police officer and works security at some of the hotels on the beach. And my brother works for the lady who owns the Sunspree. Hope you have a great time! And bring that scrapbooking stuff with you, I'll pick it up!!! LOL.

Do you get the DIY channel? There is a scrapbooking show on there and you could get some good ideas there. I'm a beginner too and have found just sitting down and making one simple page works. Then I make one more simple page.

After seeing everyone's work here and getting a basic book and watching some shows I feel a little more confident about using some of the more 'advanced' things. I used Brads on my last page! :lmao:

Watch out though. I bought a Sizzix (love it). This hobby can eat up funds if you're not careful.

Ladybugsy..
I sent you a private message earlier. I hope it comes through! If it doesn't, post here. Just going into details on our trip to PCB in July.
Talk soon,
Karen

Many craft stores have beginning classes as do local scrapbook stores that you and your daughter could take together. Just be careful though because as someone else said it is very easy to spend money. Also something someone else may love may not be your thing, (scrapbook tool wise). I think there are very few tools you "need" and you seem to have them.

Many craft and scrapbook stores have sample pages that you can look through for ideas, ask the store. Also there are many ideas on sites like this. Looking at what others have done is a great inspiration.

Don't compare your pages to anyone else's and most important, have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter