I booked the Hoop Dee Doo Revue - Convince me I did the right thing!

amiskell28

Can't wait to get back!
We're going back to WDW for our second visit in 2019. Our first visit was in 2009 - and boy, am I ever glad I found these boards, because lots has changed!

My ADR window opened a couple of days ago. When we went in 2009, we took our two boys. We now have a 7 yo DD, so we got CRT! (and the little girl inside of me is SO EXCITED TO EAT IN THE CASTLE!!) :)

I had my ADR plan all laid out - what I wanted, when I wanted it, etc., etc. And then.... I booked HDDR for the last night of our stay. Totally not on the radar at all when I was planning!! It just looks like so much fun!

Category 1, 6:15 show, Friday night before we leave for Port Canaveral on Saturday for our first ever Disney Cruise.

Tell me your stories! Did you love it? Did you hate it? Did your kids love it/hate it?

I'm excited, but nervous. Thanks in advance!

When my kids were young, we *always* did it. My first trip to HDDR was when I was about 12 in the 1970s. Loved it then.

Then I took my kids who really loved it. My cousin's son, when he was about 10, thought it was the best thing he'd ever been to. I don't know how old your boys are but it's definitely a hit with the adoloscent/pre-teen ages. It could get a little dicey with "cool" teenagers but I took some who loved it.

We're going back to WDW for our second visit in 2019. Our first visit was in 2009 - and boy, am I ever glad I found these boards, because lots has changed!

My ADR window opened a couple of days ago. When we went in 2009, we took our two boys. We now have a 7 yo DD, so we got CRT! (and the little girl inside of me is SO EXCITED TO EAT IN THE CASTLE!!) :)

I had my ADR plan all laid out - what I wanted, when I wanted it, etc., etc. And then.... I booked HDDR for the last night of our stay. Totally not on the radar at all when I was planning!! It just looks like so much fun!

Category 1, 6:15 show, Friday night before we leave for Port Canaveral on Saturday for our first ever Disney Cruise.

Tell me your stories! Did you love it? Did you hate it? Did your kids love it/hate it?

I'm excited, but nervous. Thanks in advance!
We liked it a lot.

We did HDDR for the first time last year and LOVED it.

Good to hear! It looks like so much silly, nostalgic fun!

When my kids were young, we *always* did it. My first trip to HDDR was when I was about 12 in the 1970s. Loved it then.

Then I took my kids who really loved it. My cousin's son, when he was about 10, thought it was the best thing he'd ever been to. I don't know how old your boys are but it's definitely a hit with the adoloscent/pre-teen ages. It could get a little dicey with "cool" teenagers but I took some who loved it.

The boys are 21 and 18 now, and can't come with us this time. :( But, my DD7 loves musicals (she sings all the songs in Mamma Mia!), so I think she would be all about the HDDR! Thanks for the feedback - no "cool" teenagers on this trip! :)

I took DS when he was 3 and he could barely sit through it. Took him back last August when he was 9 and he LOVED it! Loved it so much, we went back again last December. If your DD loves musicals, I think she will get a total kick out of the show! Cast members came up to our table at both shows to interact with DS - he had so much fun! Make sure to take some time to visit the stables while you're at Ft. W as well - they are right next to Pioneer Hall!

Last edited:
We went on our last night last summer and DS (10) LOVED it! He actually just asked if we could go back this week! DH and I both had our own childhood memories of going and had fun

DH and I did Category 1. It was definitely worth it. Such a fun and silly show. We had a table up front and DH and I got picked on a bit during the show. All good! We really liked the food, too.

Hi, I went a long time ago. I remember they slammed the food down on the table. I remember thinking that if I'd known they were going to do that, I wouldn't have had my camera on the table. The food was OK but not really the type of food I prefer. This style of entertainment isn't really my thing, either. Didn't go with kids. Anyway I wouldn't say I hated it, but I wasn't eager to go again, and there are lots of other places I'd rather go. Most people seem to like it, though.

You can see recordings of the show to see if it would interest you. I'm sure it appeals to a lot of people. It just isn't our thing though. Asking people if they like a particular WDW show is like asking if they like a particular television show--only you know what kind of shows appeal to you.

Yes, as pp said, you can look it up on YouTube. Try TripAdvisor for food photos and reviews.

It is probably more fun in a larger group.

Food was pretty good, it was entertaining, they include house sangria, house wine, and house beer (like Bud or something like that, not their high end beer).

We also love the HDDR - the show is fun and the food is great - all you can eat and includes drinks. You will not be disappointed.

You definitely did the right thing in booking Hoop. First of all the food is great and hello unlimited beer or sangria for the grown-ups :-) But the show is great too. Its definitely a bit corny but just the right amount that its sure to please even the cynics in the family. We took our daughter when she was 5 and it was her most favorite disney meal ever.

I think everyone needs to hit HDDR one time at least. It is iconic DIsney entertainment. With that said, no one can tell you if your family will enjoy it. My DD and DSIL refused to join us when we took DGD several years ago. DD said twice was enough for her, and DSIL was appalled we would consider him going. Yet they like SOA, so as I said, it is preference.

DGD was 10 or 11 at the time and she was bored to tears with the show, however she had a blast watching her Pa who was almost in tears he was laughing so hard. So for the three of us, it was definaltely worth the time and money, but we all had different reasons for enjoying the show and food.

I think you will enjoy it. We have been to HDDR 5 times since our WDW adventures began in 1981, each time with a different group of family or friends of different ages. We’ve always had a blast. We have not been there in a few years, but I’m sure we’ll return at some point.

You totally did the right thing, we love HDDR. Last time we went, there were five of us including nephews who were 10 and 13 at the time. Our table was right next to the stage and the 10yo was picked to go on stage and he had a brilliant time. It was fab watching him be part of the show, and the 13yo was just happy eating as much chicken as he possibly could. Go with the flow and the corniness, and you will have a great evening.

Asking people if they like a particular WDW show is like asking if they like a particular television show--only you know what kind of shows appeal to you.

Fair point :) I checked out some videos and I think it'll be a good fit for us. Getting so excited, and we still have to wait 6 months!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter