I booked ressie, friend backed out!#$%^&*(+_

Here are my thoughts:

1. Did you buy trip insurance? If so, cancel the entire thing, tell your friend she owes you whatever penalties you incur, and rebook for just yourself and your DD.

2. If not, are the air tickets transferable? Many are with a small penalty. If so, your friend could consider trying to e-bay them so she could give you whatever she can get for them and owe you that much less.

3. Once you know how much your friend is costing you by changing her mind, talk to her about a payment schedule. Write this all up, go to a notary and both of you sign it in front of the notary, then if needs be, file it at the local courthouse. Most places allow you to place documents on file for a small fee. This will cover you in case your friend decides to not pay you back...you've documented that she owes you money and she's legally agreed to that.

I'm sorry this has happened to you! I hope you have the trip insurance!

Okay, here is what I found out yesterday from AIRTRAN! I called them to inquire what my options are if my friends does not come through...which I suspect she wont.

They cannot help me, since I went through an travel agent (WDW)...they can only book my seats. She confirmed for me that all I need to do is call back WDW, cancel the 2 additional flights & modify the ressie. The 2 paper tickets need to be returned to WDW. I pay a penalty of $75 for each ticket and then I receive a credit for the flight in MY NAME, since I purchased the tix...not my friend's name or her daughter's name. I guess that is the benefit of using a TA. The flights for them cost me $778....so I would get a $628 credit to use within 1 year. I guess that is better than I sharp stick in the eye!!!! Too bad I cant use the credit towards paying off the balance for the modified ressie!

Maybe this will all work out! Think I will make the changes at the end of the month...still holding out for a miracle....and a little pixie dust!!!!

Hope things work out for you. Such a shame it's going like this!

Here's a question for you. Are the AirTran credits transferable? We always fly Southwest and I always book our flights well in advance to be sure to get the flight times I want. Then I check air fare daily and whenever it is lowered I modify my ressie (you can do all this online with Southwest) anyhow, by the time our trip comes around I've usually accumulated several credits which I turn around and sell on Ebay. The credit always sell for practically their face value. We just got back from our trip on 6/4, this past wednesday I listed my credits on Ebay and they were sold and paid for within 20 minutes. I had an $88 credit which I listed for $80 and a $64 credit which I listed for $60, so in the end just a few dollars lost. If they are transferable I would quickly cancel the tix and list the credit on Ebay then you will be able to apply the money you get back from selling the credits to apply to your ressie. good luck!!

I was just going to say what AlexTina just said...we had some credits on SW that I had leftover as well and sold on e-bay. The purchaser just needed my name and the confirmation # and can use the credits. I was surprised how much the credits went for. I think I got like $80 for $86 in credits. This may be only a second choice, as it would involve further loss on the funds, but if you won't be able to use the credit within a year, it might well be worth it.

I did a quick search on e-bay and did not find any Airtran credit vouchers, so it seems unlikely to be possible though.

Also, be sure to check when you have to use the credits...SW makes you use the credits within a year of the original purchase, NOT a year from when you make the cancelation.

SkierPete

No...it's what what you think...my friend DID NOT come through! :worried:

After speaking with Airtran, as stated in my previous post, they were very clear that I should have been able to get a airline credit for the 2 tix that my friend stiffed me for...even though they are NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERRABLE! Well, after speaking to a not-so-friendly "nameless" gentleman (I am withholding his name) in Air Help at WDW, he refused to be any assistance to me. He kept telling me that just because AirTran's policy allowed for such a credit/change...WDW did not. He kept insisting that they would not allow for a name change to then allow for a credit to my name for the air tix. I kept trying to explain to him that all I wanted was what I would have been given had I purchased the tix directly through airTran...going no where and no where fast! I asked for a Supervisor and finally got one after 15 minutes. I spoke to an amazingly friendly "named" woman in Air Help at WDW. I explained the situation. This was on Friday afternoon (June 13). She seemed very understanding and told me that she was not sure there was anything she could do, but would check with their Air Tran Sales Rep to see if the policy had recently changed. She also informed me that she was going to be on vacation the following week, but she would inform her "named" Assistant, who would touch base with me via telephone &/or email during the week. I thanked her for her time and she wished me "a magical day!"

Fast forward to Monday, June 23...10 days later....no phone call or email from highly anticpated suspected friendly assistant...bummer!! :( So, much to my dismay, I realize that I never asked for a callback number for the Supervisor or Assistant in Air Help or even an email address, so I call the direct dial number for ressies and asked to be transferred. :surfweb: 10 minutes later I am speaking with...guess who...the "nameless" Air Help rep from 10 days ago who had my blood boiling. :furious: I politely asked for the Supervisor...HE FOUND HER FOR ME!!!!

Here's the climax... popcorn:: she tells me that I should not be punished for purchasing the tix through a travel agency. They have been fully refunded for me. The full credit, no cancellation fees....has been credited towards my ressie....I still had a $406 balance to pay...and the remaining $381 was credited back to my American Express!!!! :banana: So, I did not have to make the final payment towards our ressie. This lady rocks! :worship: I had to mail the 2 paper tix back to her this morning and of course I included a little note thanking her for all her help! It brings me to tears to know that someone cared enough to help me with this. It would normally be impossible to have something like this happen! Afterall...they were non-refundable AND nontransferrable! I give honor to God for His favor in this....and of course a little sprinkling a pixie dust always helps too!!! pixiedust:

I, too, planned a trip this year for a "friend" that didn't work out. Won't go into detail but I feel your pain!! Luckily, I was able to get her SWA ticket swapped out at the same rate & transferred to my DD's who graciously agreed to stand in for me. So, although I now have to pay for the whole trip instead of the half I was expecting, at least I still get to go and have a wonderful time with my DD!!

I have been quietly watching your story from the sidelines. I had to post to say that I am so happy this worked out for you!:goodvibes Your story put a smile on my face this morning:) and I hope you and your girl enjoy a FABULOUS mother/daughter vacation!

Buy yourselves each a little something special with the money you thought you lost but got back. You deserve it after all the stress this has put on you.

Buy yourselves each a little something special with the money you thought you lost but got back. You deserve it after all the stress this has put on you.

Great idea!!!:cool1: What do you suggest? I would like to do something with this vacation we havent done before! Upgrade to something special!?

I don't really have any suggestions....just wanted to say I'm sorry this happened to you. Although it does seem like your friend should pay you back the FULL amount of her airline tickets, and whatever money you are out after paying the WDW deposit, etc.

I'm with 3for Me.....I also have been following this thread without posting, but I had to say I'm soo glad it all worked out for you and your DD :yay:. I agree you should buy something special as this WILL be a very special trip after all the turmoil your friend put you through :mad:. Here's some pixie dust for you and your DD that you'll have the most magical trip ever pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:.

Great idea!!!:cool1: What do you suggest? I would like to do something with this vacation we havent done before! Upgrade to something special!?

Go to Bibbity Bobbity Boutique for a makeover. Then go get pics made at DTD. Then head over for a character dinner while your DD is "pretty as a princess!" We did this for DD last year. Hair, make-up, and nails: $45. Cinderella dress from Wal-Mart: $20. Then headed over to Cinderella's Gala at GF. The extra attention she got was worth every penny!

DSC01223.jpg

I am SO glad you were able to get this worked out. I can imagine how stressful it was for you, so I'm glad to see a happy ending. How are things with your friend though, is she still avoiding you? So sad that this has put strain on your friendship. :(

awww that stinks! I haven't kept reading yet to see how the situation is now , but by reading the 1st post I felt so bad since this is what I was slightly afraid of with the friends of ours that are going. Money is tight for everyone right now but its hard when u have it all planned :(

Excellent for you!!!! Persistance pays off! Hope to see you and DD down there wandering around the parks. Look for this fellow Buffalonian wearing a Sabres hat and an orange camelbak with a Lime-Green Mickey Head that says skierpete. I will be with a small girl that will be whining about not wanting to go on the rides and/or not wanting to walk. You can't miss me, I'm sure she will be the only one like that there.:lmao:

SkierPete

No...it's what what you think...my friend DID NOT come through! :worried:

After speaking with Airtran, as stated in my previous post, they were very clear that I should have been able to get a airline credit for the 2 tix that my friend stiffed me for...even though they are NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERRABLE! Well, after speaking to a not-so-friendly "nameless" gentleman (I am withholding his name) in Air Help at WDW, he refused to be any assistance to me. He kept telling me that just because AirTran's policy allowed for such a credit/change...WDW did not. He kept insisting that they would not allow for a name change to then allow for a credit to my name for the air tix. I kept trying to explain to him that all I wanted was what I would have been given had I purchased the tix directly through airTran...going no where and no where fast! I asked for a Supervisor and finally got one after 15 minutes. I spoke to an amazingly friendly "named" woman in Air Help at WDW. I explained the situation. This was on Friday afternoon (June 13). She seemed very understanding and told me that she was not sure there was anything she could do, but would check with their Air Tran Sales Rep to see if the policy had recently changed. She also informed me that she was going to be on vacation the following week, but she would inform her "named" Assistant, who would touch base with me via telephone &/or email during the week. I thanked her for her time and she wished me "a magical day!"

Fast forward to Monday, June 23...10 days later....no phone call or email from highly anticpated suspected friendly assistant...bummer!! :( So, much to my dismay, I realize that I never asked for a callback number for the Supervisor or Assistant in Air Help or even an email address, so I call the direct dial number for ressies and asked to be transferred. :surfweb: 10 minutes later I am speaking with...guess who...the "nameless" Air Help rep from 10 days ago who had my blood boiling. :furious: I politely asked for the Supervisor...HE FOUND HER FOR ME!!!!

Here's the climax... popcorn:: she tells me that I should not be punished for purchasing the tix through a travel agency. They have been fully refunded for me. The full credit, no cancellation fees....has been credited towards my ressie....I still had a $406 balance to pay...and the remaining $381 was credited back to my American Express!!!! :banana: So, I did not have to make the final payment towards our ressie. This lady rocks! :worship: I had to mail the 2 paper tix back to her this morning and of course I included a little note thanking her for all her help! It brings me to tears to know that someone cared enough to help me with this. It would normally be impossible to have something like this happen! Afterall...they were non-refundable AND nontransferrable! I give honor to God for His favor in this....and of course a little sprinkling a pixie dust always helps too!!! pixiedust:

I have been reading (lurking, ha! :bitelip:) your thread since you started it and girl, that's more than pixiedust:...that's a flat-out MIRACLE...Looks like the Lord was looking out for you! :worship: I send you MANY BLESSINGS on your upcoming trip!!! :hug:

if you have never done Cirque de Soleil, you can try that...it is awesome. we took our 6 and 5 yo to it last year...they loved it!! or send her on a pirate cruise while you go get a massage...

Have fun no matter what you do!

I would like to do something with this vacation we havent done before! Upgrade to something special!?

:cool1: That is great that it seems to have worked out in your favor. Something you and your DD could do would be to go get facials or some primping at one of the spas. I would have loved to do that with my mom when I was little, now I would just love to do that without the kids around. :)

We learned a few trips ago about making travel plans with people. I'm happy to help people and even coordinate times but we will have our own ressies and they will have their own, even ADRs for the most part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter