I Am Sick. Like, Going-To-The-Doctor Sick UPDATE IN POST #51: I'm OK!

^^^
Yes this. Most likely your GP is going to send you to the ER anyway. I'm surprised they didn't advise that when the appointment was made given your symptoms. Save yourself a step and go.

ER, not quick care or walk in clinic. A walk in clinic sent my dad home as he was having a heart attack advising him to "drink a lot of water." And these were people who knew his history. We won't discuss my experience with a quick care, suffice it to say if I had died it would have been on their heads. In any case if either are worth their salt in your area, they'll send you to an ER. So suck it up buttercup and just go. Please.

Sorry, not happening. I assure you I will be fine until tomorrow.

Um, ok. But... if you could please post tomorrow after the dr.and if you get any worse, don't be more stubborn AF and go get looked at.
And no partaking on herbal supplement,so if you have one rolled up, put it down,lol.

Seriously hope you find out what is going on and feel better soon.

hang in there and do let us know tomorrow.

if we don't hear from you, will call out the doggies to find you......

hopefully, whatever the medical problem is can be fixed up soon!

i had a prolapsed valve and had the symptoms you described.
ended up with a blood clot and had surgery that day...

i waited it out a couple of days before i sought out medical help

good thing no cubbie game on tomorrow or you would have to wait another day to see the doc.......jk

I guess I don't understand the point of this thread? Is it looking for advice on your condition or what you should do? Because it could be a whole lotta things, some of which are not good. But everyone else has already stated this.

To put things bluntly, I would not be posting on the Disboards about this - I would be hauling butt to the nearest hospital. A GP tomorrow will more likely than not take one look at you and send you on to the hospital with those symptoms.

Please do give us an update!

Fingers crossed ur able to post the Update! Sounds like an ER visit was in order, for sure!
Best of luck OP!

What do you think your doctor will be able to do for you tomorrow? You probably need tests that can't be run at a doctor's office. You will be wasting your time going there. Just go to the ER.

Another strong vote for the ER. I know you are kidding that another 24 hours won't kill you but actually it could. I know everyone thinks it won't happen to them but really, it could. Do you really want to take that risk? Have your wife wondering if she should have forced you to go and feeling guilt?

My DD22 almost died from pulmonary embolism last summer and her symptoms weren't as drastic as yours. She did have shortness of breath and a racing heart. It had gotten increasingly worse over a few days. It was clots building up in both lungs. Her elevated heart rate is what probably actually saved her because the shortness of breath might have been written off. We had 3 different dr tell us if she had flown that day like she was scheduled, she would not have gotten off the flight alive.

We never dreamed it could happen and if she hadn't spoken up and said she really didn't feel right, we would have chalked it up to her fear about flying.

I don't know how the US health care system works, so can someone explain what Rastahomie talking about with regards to needing "prior authorization" to go to the ER?

Those symptoms would scare the beejeezus out of me. I once called a cab and shoved my husband into it, just to get him to the ER (as he was protesting that he was "fine"). A couple hours later, the doc called me to say he'd been admitted and was being treated, and thanked me, saying if I'd waited any longer he could have died. As it was, he was in hospital for a week.

I don't know how the US health care system works, so can someone explain what Rastahomie talking about with regards to needing "prior authorization" to go to the ER?

Those symptoms would scare the beejeezus out of me. I once called a cab and shoved my husband into it, just to get him to the ER (as he was protesting that he was "fine"). A couple hours later, the doc called me to say he'd been admitted and was being treated, and thanked me, saying if I'd waited any longer he could have died. As it was, he was in hospital for a week.

No idea.

I have pretty junky insurance and I went to an urgent care clinic yesterday for a $50 co-pay.

You never need pre-authorization to go to an ER no matter what your insurances is. If taken by an ambulance and the ER is out of network they have to cover it as in network because you had no choice.

Now for some tests that a doctor may prescribe you need preauthorizarion. Like I'm have a CT and ultra sound of the vascular area around my ear tomorrow. I had to have insurance pre-approve coverage before I could even make an appointment or I would have to pay out of pocket.

Some insurances pay at a greatly reduced rate if you go to the ER for something that can be handled by your regular doctor or an urgent care.

My insurance is a $100 co-pay plus 20% of the ER cost IF I am admitted to the hospital. It is a $100 copay plus 70% of the bill for things that can be handled in a regular doctor visit or at the urgent care. So if you are treated and released it is a pretty whopping bill.

My insurance is a $50 copay for urgent care and no copay for doctor office.

I am in the US.

But I also agree that he should haul *** to the ER.

I'm with you on what it takes to get me to a doctor. I also think that you need attention now, but I know that I'd be saying the same thing that you are. So, I'll say, if your condition worsens or changes at all before you go to the doctor tomorrow, seek urgent care. I hope that it's something that is easily resolved.

A "prior authorization" is needed for non-emergency surgery and things like name brand medication when generic is available.

I've worked with insurance, with a third party administrator, and not one that I worked with requires a prior authorization for an qualified ER visit. And this would qualify. (No visiting the ER for a hangnail.)

In addition, even if he needed an PA, he had time to call and receive one, today.

Sounds very similar to my husband's symptoms and he had a heart attack. We were lucky that he was in the hospital when it happened. Otherwise he would have died. But hey, why not wait until after lunch tomorrow? Right?

In regards to the pre authorization thing - we have a hospital in town that is not in our network, but three within 30 mins that are. If we choose to go to the local one, we do need to get the ok from our insurance to do so (if we want them to cover the cost of it). It needs to be an emergency that can't wait the 30 min drive. That said, the only time we've had to do that, we called from the ER and they authorized it then. I can't imagine an insurance company not authorizing it with symptoms like this, especially if the closest hospital is already an hour away. And it takes all of 5 mins to get that authorization.

I'm with you on what it takes to get me to a doctor. I also think that you need attention now, but I know that I'd be saying the same thing that you are. So, I'll say, if your condition worsens or changes at all before you go to the doctor tomorrow, seek urgent care. I hope that it's something that is easily resolved.
I know people who are like this, my father is one of them. My biggest argument for Rastahomie would be that the ER nearest him is an hour away, it's not like he can go 10 minutes down the road. If, god forbid, there is an urgent situation that is extremely precious time to be wasting.

The HMO I used to have had great coverage, but if you went to an ER for something that didn't truly require an ER, it might not be covered. As in ...... at all. So some are a little gun shy about going to the ER, especially for things that have been building over days when they could have sought counsel from their PCP.

I wish the OP had gone yesterday. But I understand how some find it hard to make the right call. If I had called my doctor with those symptoms, she would have sent me to the ER and documented in my record that she told me to go.

Hoping for a positive update today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter