I am hoping someone can help me here...

TinkHappy

DIS Veteran
My DD-9, was watching FoxNews with me last night and she heard that there are men and women fighting overseas and they do not have the proper equipment (flap jackets). She was very upset about this so she would like to raise $$ on our Town Green for a Flap Jacket for our troops. Does anyone know where I can get information about doing this? She is very excited about this and really wants to do it, I just don't know how to help her. I don't want to discourage her. Please, if anyone can help...:confused:

well, first she will need to go to the local police department and find out how much Body armor (Flak Jackets) cost. Then she will need a specific soldier to donate it too since there is no way to donate that sort of thing to "any soldier". Also, this is a really hard problem to assist with since it is an issue of not enough being manufactured rather than them just not getting it. Here might be a better suggestion-If there is a national Guard or reserve unit deployed from your town or a near by location contact the Amory and ask to be put in touch with the Family Readiness Group. They will have information on what the troops deployed from your area might need and how to send it too them.
Then she can do her fundraising or donation gathering and they will likely be able to help her send items overseas.

Thank you so much for the help!!! I knew I could count on someone here at the Dis.
Oh ya...Thanks for the clarification on the Flak Jacket...Opps.

You should be very proud of you daughter-as the spouse of a deployed soldier the idea of a child being willing to do this to help my DH brings tears to my eyes. She is a very special child

jsmith ~ Thank you very much, I am very proud of her. I will let her know your comments, I am sure it will make her feel very special.
I hope your DH comes home soon and comes home safe!!!

As the mother of a Marine who spent 6 months (24 hours a day) in his flack-jacket, please extend another "thanks" to your daughter for her concerns. ::yes::

Patty ~ Maybe you can help me with this too. I have tried to do what jsmith has said to do and I am getting no where. Does your son have any suggestions. Thanks

If there is a national Guard or reserve unit deployed from your town or a near by location contact the Amory and ask to be put in touch with the Family Readiness Group. They will have information on what the troops deployed from your area might need and how to send it too them.

I'm sorry TinkHappy....this was the exact thing I was thinking of. I know that here, we have a Reserve Unit, with active duty personnel there at all times. That's where we always went with our questions.

I guess the only other thing would be to contact Fox News and tell them your story, and ask them to put you in contact with the necessary person.

Good Luck with your efforts! ::yes::

tink-sorry you arent getting anywhere-try this -look in the phone book or on your phone companies web site for state govenment-under state government look for national gaurd headquarters or state area command-call the number listed and ask for the Family Readiness office. They will be able to put you in contact with a unit in or near your community.

OK, great!! Thank you so much for the quick return response. I refuse to give up on this, DD really wants to do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter