I am going to book w/Disney, should I tranfer the ressie to a TA?

colbybug

DIS Veteran
The last time I sailed was in 2008 on the Disney Magic and I have a "dummy date" from rebooking while onboard. We are thinking VERY strongly of sailing on the Fantasy in late April. I know that I am within a week of final payment being due so I need to act fast. Is it worth it to transfer the reservation? I already have a small discount and the OBC....would a TA be able to offer us anything more than what we already have? Can they? I guess I don't understand what they stand to gain by taking our reservation. :confused3?

Any opinions or recommendations? I would really appreciate any help!!!

Kathy

The last time I sailed was in 2008 on the Disney Magic and I have a "dummy date" from rebooking while onboard. We are thinking VERY strongly of sailing on the Fantasy in late April. I know that I am within a week of final payment being due so I need to act fast. Is it worth it to transfer the reservation? I already have a small discount and the OBC....would a TA be able to offer us anything more than what we already have? Can they? I guess I don't understand what they stand to gain by taking our reservation. :confused3?

Kathy

From what I understand most TAs will not give you any OBC for a transferred reservation. This is because do not make any commission on the reservation. Some TAs may give it to however so you would have to ask them directly.

I LOVE my TA. They will offer you an onboard credit in addition to what you have from DCL. Granted, you've taken care of most things on your own, so the services you'd get from them are reduced because you've already done them.

For me...they have found better international air than I found on my own, made my Palo ressies when I was on the ship on the big day, researched options for insurance in terms of costs and benefits, gotten me tier 1 (opening day) rates when I moved dummy dates, been there when I was sitting at OHare being told that I "might not" get on my flight (nice to have someone to talk to about options!), and assisted when I needed to make an insurance claim. They have done a zillion little things to make my life easier!

In your case, they would do the transfer and accept your final payment...I suspect you've done all else.

From what I understand most TAs will not give you any OBC for a transferred reservation. This is because do not make any commission on the reservation. Some TAs may give it to however so you would have to ask them directly.

The TAs get a reduced commission from a transferred reservation. Some will not accept transfers. Some offer a reduction from their standard OBC. Some offer their full OBC in hopes of gaining your future business.

It is not true that they make no commission on a transfer; they just make a lot less than on a reservation that they book or an onboard booking where you name them at the time of the booking.

Hi,
TAs do get a commission on transfer reservations.
Most TAs do offer OBC.

Can anyone recommend a TA or agency? (without getting into trouble , of course! ;))

Kathy

I need some help and advice. We are booked on the Fantasy for June. We rebooked on our last cruise and got the 10% discount and $200 obc and we left the reservation with DCL.

I am thinking to transfer reservations to get additional obc. Has anyone done this and if so how much did you get? I know it can range on how much you paid/category. I contacted a TA and she said I would have to fill out a transfer form then she can tell me. I really don't want to do that until I know the range and if it's worth it.

Thanks a bunch:worship:

The TA I use will tell you up front, then you can decide whether to do the transfer form or not. As you said, it depends on category and length of cruise.

The TA I use will tell you up front, then you can decide whether to do the transfer form or not. As you said, it depends on category and length of cruise.

Did you ever transfer and if so how much did you get? The cruise fare for 5 of us for a weeklong was about $4800. I just have no idea how much we could get.

There is a difference between a request to transfer and the actual transfer form. No reputable TA is going to ask you to fill out the required DCL Transfer Form until they provide you with an amount they will offer however, some Agencies do have their own 'internal' form that is used to review the reservation to see if they can offer an onboard credit.

Kathy

I would recommend it, because some travel agents will give you an additional OBC for booking with them, and their OBC will add on to Disney's--it amounted to a tidy sum on our last cruise.

Did you ever transfer and if so how much did you get? The cruise fare for 5 of us for a weeklong was about $4800. I just have no idea how much we could get.

To give you an idea of what could get, here are the OBC's offered by Dreams Unlimited, who sponsor this board:
http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/cruise/specials.htm#sbc

You would need to contact them with your specifics to see if you would get the full amounts shown on a transferred reservation. In our case, we always have gotten the full amounts.

Other TA's may offer different amounts but this can give you an idea...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter