I-95 on Good Friday????

disneyagain

DIS Veteran
Anyone driven it that day....

We'll take 81 down to 17 across to Fredericksburg, VA. Leaving Binghamton around 3:00 am , getting us to I-95 around 9:00 am....planning on getting to Savannah, GA that day, so we'll only have about 4-5 hr trip to the WORLD:yay: on Saturday...

Any tips, would be greatly appreciated:goodvibes

95 on good Friday can be brutal! I can't help you with your travel before Savannah, but I do know that the bottom of Georgia/ top of Florida gets JAMMED up in the morning. Try to get up early and be out of Savannah early to avoid the jam. Also, 95 at Daytona gets jammed too, so try to be past there as early as possible.

Have a great trip!:)

We're debating between 17 across or going all the way down to I think 77 across into Charlotte over to I-95.....If it was a normal day (Not a holiday weekend) we'd definately do the 17 to I-95....But holiday congestion has us a little concerned....We've got 3 months to figure it out....:goodvibes

81 77 and 26 is about the same milage, watch out for snow in the mountains though. Other then that its alot less traffic except for Charlotte.

If you can be on the road again by 6:00, I think that you will be okay. The back-up in Daytona grows as the day goes on, so even if you hit it, you should be early enough not to be stuck for too long.

If anyone is planning on stopping for the night anywhere along I-95 on Good Friday, make a reservation! We were driving home 3 years ago and had to drive 60 miles west of 95 to find a hotel room.

Good Friday is a pivotal point for school breaks. Some are off the week before and some are off the week after Easter. It seems like everyone on the eastern seaboard is traveling on Good Friday!

We're now thinking about leaving on Thursday after the kids get out of school and heading down to Winchester, VA (About 4-4.5 hrs) then heading out from there on Friday around 3:00 am and going straight through to Orlando. Still having our long day on Friday, but getting to Orlando on Friday night instead of Saturday morning. We'll stay at the Sheraton Safari on pts. on Friday night......Gives us an extra morning at WDW:banana:

Alexander....Which way are you going from Syracuse? Are you taking the beltways, 81 to 17 across to Fredericksburg or down 81 further across through Charlotte????

Gosh, I love the planning:cloud9:

:cheer2: We did this last year from NC to FL for a cruise. We were in stopped traffic for over 1/3 of the ride. We would of been crazy :lmao: except for the DVD for the kids we borrowed! They had to watch some movies twice!!! :happytv: I would go the day before no matter how much more it cost! Good luck

If you're coming down 81, I would suggest taking it all the way to 77 (they intersect in Wythe County, VA). You could then take 77 South through Charlotte and into Columbia, SC. In Columbia, take 26 until it intersects with 95. You will come out on 95 at around Exit 86, meaning that you have less than 100 miles on 95 before getting to Savannah. If you get on 95 around Fredericksburg, you'll be on it for more than 500 miles before you get to Savannah. The mileage difference is negligible, but the traffic that you're likely to avoid on 95 will save you time and headaches.

If you leave from Winchester at 3:00 a.m. on Friday, you should be able to get to 77 in about 3 1/2 hours, then about 2 hours to clear Charlotte, then about 8 more hours to WDW, for a total of about 13 1/2 hours from Winchester to WDW (with fluctuations for stops and some traffic in Charlotte since you'll be getting there around rush hour). If you can, you may want to go through to Harrisonburg, VA the night before (about an hour past Winchester), and this will allow you a better chance to get through Charlotte with a little less traffic. Either way, it will be much better than picking up 95 in Fredericksburg.

At the risk of complicating things, another route from I-81 to I-95 would be to take I-64 east from Staunton, VA, toward Richmond, and then take Route 288 south to I-95 between Richmond and Petersburg.

Once you get past Petersburg, you won't have any really large city traffic to worry about until Jacksonville, FL. I'm not sure how 81-64-288-95 compares in terms of time or mileage with 81-17-95 or 81-77-26-95.

scared:

Maybe we should pull the kids from school on Thursday and do most of the drive that day and arrive on Friday in Orlando..... Get a 7 day ticket instead of 6......

We are considering going down 81 further and across through Charlotte, to avoid most of 95.....think that might be our best bet for holiday travel....

Thanks for all your replys!:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter