I-5 Thru Sacramento Closed May 30th-Aug

Raidermouse

Raising 2 Princesses
For those of you driving to Disneyland via I-5 thru Sacramento you may want to get a heads up on the closure for repairs coming.They will close Northbound comletely for a period and then Southbound.You can get all the info at www.fixi-5.com if you have a GPS it should bnot be an issue but if you are coming thru at peak hour on a weekday allow extra time.There are a few work arounds I am sure people here will suggest.One is to take 99.And there are others but thought people not from this area would like a heads up.:)

I'm really surprised they'd close the whole direction, instead of just 1-2 lanes at a time (I forget if 5 is 2 lanes or 3 through Sac).

I'm surprised there closing the whole thing too! That's seriously going to mess with me. At least I don't have to take the 5 to work, but it'll probably still mess with my commute.

Its the area that is under the water line. The only way to fix it is rip the whole road up and reinforce. Its not possible with only a possible closure. I'm not sure how you would take 99 as an alternate, since 99 and I-5 are merged in this area.

I'm really surprised they'd close the whole direction, instead of just 1-2 lanes at a time (I forget if 5 is 2 lanes or 3 through Sac).

hwy 5 is 2 lanes at the airport coming into sacramento and it turns into 4-5 lanes thru sacramento. well i looked at the map and i'd just get off on I street and head east to the capital city freeway(hwy 99). i'm sure there will be detours set up. personally i'd avoid sacramento till the middle of the night if possible.can take hwy 99 south thru stockton and catch hwy 4 west back to hwy 5.(i'm from the area and this would be an easy transistion for most). me personally with kids i like hwy 99 its a little slower but the towns are not as spread out. and hwy will run into hwy 5 right before the grapevine.

me personally with kids i like hwy 99 its a little slower but the towns are not as spread out. and hwy will run into hwy 5 right before the grapevine.

Yeah, 99 is better with kids, yet not as fast as 5. Still totally debating which to take....I totally got pulled over on one trip up 99 for going 70 mph but luckily my dd was wailing her head off in the back seat and the chp let me go...:angel:

They were talking about the alternate routes on the news this morning. If you are going southbound when that section is closed, take I-80 west then over to the Cap City Freeway. You can reconnect with I-5 on the Cap City. If you are going northbound when this section is closed, take the Cap City west and connect to eastbound I-80.
This route is out of the way, but at least you wouldn't have to deal with downtown traffic.

Oh wow! That's how we usually always drive too. Guess I'm even more glad were flying this time now. That drive was long enough as it was! Yikes!

Thanks for that- I'll be driving through NB to go to WA state May 31, and then back south on June 8. Sadly, no GPS :(

Thanks for that- I'll be driving through NB to go to WA state May 31, and then back south on June 8. Sadly, no GPS :(

Hi all, I'm new (well to posting but definitely not to reading as I've been reading this site for years).

Saturdays should be much better and the detour route is pretty well marked.
Co-workers who live in the south area driving north to work who drive I-5 are taking Hwy 50 West (San Francisco) to the 80 East (Reno) and then back to I-5 North (Redding).

Going home back south they are reversing it. I-5 South to 80 West (San Francisco), 50/80 East to Lake Tahoe/Sacramento, I-5 South.

Sounds more difficult than what it is. More of a headache than anything else. (if my coworkers have the names of the freeways wrong, please let me know. I drive from the north and don't cross the river).

um, where is this road? LOL. This is like telling you that I-55 is going to be closed - since you have no idea where that Interstate goes to or from it is meaningless.

Is this part that is closed between Disneyland and LegoLand or San Diego? Is it between Lego Land and the airport (Orange County)?

Wonder if my GPS would tell me the alternate route if I am suppossed to go on that Interstate?

Thanks for answering, nothing worse then roads closed when you are from out of state.

Nora

um, where is this road? LOL. This is like telling you that I-55 is going to be closed - since you have no idea where that Interstate goes to or from it is meaningless.

Is this part that is closed between Disneyland and LegoLand or San Diego? Is it between Lego Land and the airport (Orange County)?

Wonder if my GPS would tell me the alternate route if I am suppossed to go on that Interstate?

Thanks for answering, nothing worse then roads closed when you are from out of state.

Nora

This closure is in Sacramento (Northern California). What state are you from and what mode of transportation are you going to use to go to Disneyland?

Thank you for the heads up. I live in WA and we always drive down (love road trips) but this year we were thinking of flying. But then again 99 is not so bad, besides I have relatives in Yuba/Biggs.

thanks for the heads up! We are driving down from Washington state in June, and dh will be glad to know this ahead of time.

For those driving from Washington, Can you divert to 101 to pass the closed
I-5 ??

we are landing at LAX and going from there to Disney. So, guess this is going to be North of there, and we won't be doing anything north of there. whew!

Nora (from Chicago area)

Hi all, I'm new (well to posting but definitely not to reading as I've been reading this site for years).

Saturdays should be much better and the detour route is pretty well marked.
Co-workers who live in the south area driving north on I-5 take Hwy 50 West (San Francisco) to the 80 East (Reno) and then back to I-5 North (Redding).
Going home back south they are reversing it. I-5 South to 80 West (San Francisco), 50/80 East to Lake Tahoe/Sacramento, I-5 South.

This is by far the best route to take. It will add only 15-30 minutes to your drive depending on traffic. Getting on 99 before Sacramento will be a waste of time as it joins with 5 just north of the city and doesn't separate again till after the construction zone. Those of you driving this way don't worry, detours will be well marked.

Is all this going to be complete by the first week of August? There wasn't a calendar for August. I am driving from WA to Big Bear the first week of August.

Is all this going to be complete by the first week of August? There wasn't a calendar for August. I am driving from WA to Big Bear the first week of August.

I heard it should be done by the first week of July.
We just had another meeting, some state workers are able to change their work times to come in later, leave earlier to help the congestion. If I was driving during June, I'd avoid Sacramento from 6:30am-9am and 3:30pm-6pm if possible. Good time to stop and eat breakfast/dinner.

The alternate route I mentioned earlier really isn't bad and easily marked. You are just making a loop around. Hwy 99 might be more difficult to get to from I-5 since the main connector would be after the construction.

For the person thinking about going down 101, you can get there taking 80 to San Francisco and going that direction but by the time you get to 80 to SF, you can drive 2 miles back east and be back on I-5.

Anyone driving to DL through Sacramento, when you get to Garden Hwy wave hi. I'm in a building facing the freeway : ) I'll be driving down to DL in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter