Hypothetical.... if you do a VIP tour do you need more than 3 days?

Disneysince82

Mouseketeer
I was chatting with a friend of mine about VIP tours. She did one a few yrs ago at WDW and swears it the ONLY way she will do Disney.... which I am pretty sure she realizes how actually insane that sounds knowing the price. She knows we are planning on doing 5 days at DL for our upcoming trip. She was telling me that because we were planning on staying on site it out would actually be 'smarter' to just cut the trip 3 days and just throw that extra 2 day hotel money at a VIP tour -- if we can find someone to share with.

I think you honestly only need three days to do Disneyland and CA even without a VIP tour. We did five days and it was a lot of repeats, which we enjoyed, but didn’t need to do.

Also, sharing a VIP tour can take some of the fun out of the VIP tour. It’s not really tailored to your families needs or wants. I think your friend meant well, but clearly is out of touch with your family’s vacationing budget and needs.

I think you honestly only need three days to do Disneyland and CA even without a VIP tour. We did five days and it was a lot of repeats, which we enjoyed, but didn’t need to do.

Also, sharing a VIP tour can take some of the fun out of the VIP tour. It’s not really tailored to your families needs or wants. I think your friend meant well, but clearly is out of touch with your family’s vacationing budget and needs.
I love my friend but she is very out of touch when it comes to vacationing. I've never done WDW & not sure if I will -- but anytime anyone brings up any Disney vacation that she will ONLY stay at the Grand Floridian. Then goes on about how anything less than that is a step down & not even worth the trip.... Which is strange because she not even a big 'Disney person' for the most part.

I will say we are spending on the higher end when it comes to this trip -- I also realize that has more to do with accommodations/dining etc. The real reason I decided to do 5 days is I just dont want to be rushed & have a relaxing trip -- 3-4 days would be easier for our schedules if I'm being 100% honest. That and with us going beginning of August I am terrified with the heat that we will have be take 5-6 hr mid day breaks & not have time.

Your friend sounds a bit jaded…having stayed at all types of WDW resorts, from the cheapest to the highest…really, they are just a place to sleep and shower. It just depends on how invested you are in those surroundings.

You will have a fantastic time, leisurely touring both parks, in five days. I do five days every Christmas and frankly, we spend a fair amount of time relaxing in our room, hitting the tourist shops on Harbor, going to CA pizza Kitchen and other places to eat, maybe Ubering to In’n’Out. Still lots of park time.

Don‘t be dissuaded by your friend (I, too, have a friend like that); stick with your plan and enjoy your vacay!

For DL, I’d take a 5 day trip over a 3 day trip with VIP every time.

At WDW, it might be a different story, but at DL, go for the longer time. And if you are really really attempting to minimize line time, you could always get Genie+ one of the days. But with five rope drop opportunities, you should have plenty of time to hit headliners with low waits.

Your friend sounds a bit jaded…having stayed at all types of WDW resorts, from the cheapest to the highest…really, they are just a place to sleep and shower. It just depends on how invested you are in those surroundings.

You will have a fantastic time, leisurely touring both parks, in five days. I do five days every Christmas and frankly, we spend a fair amount of time relaxing in our room, hitting the tourist shops on Harbor, going to CA pizza Kitchen and other places to eat, maybe Ubering to In’n’Out. Still lots of park time.

Don‘t be dissuaded by your friend (I, too, have a friend like that); stick with your plan and enjoy your vacay!
Jaded might be a little understatement LOL TBH my biggest struggle is that I have a 1 bedroom family suite booked at DLH and battling with the idea I need to just switch it to Cambira/Hojo to save 4k or Westin 2k! Because I know at the end of the day it is a place to sleep etc. I am really looking forward to doing stuff outside of just DL and doing it at a slower pace. I know we are planning on a 1 day LA and also wanted to maybe try to get down to the beach 1-2 days. But then my husband is like let's just enjoy Disneyland... which might be a good idea because I am beginning to think we can have a very nice beach vacation at another time somewhere else.

I am very jealous you do Christmas at Disneyland! I got to do that when I was 4ish and still remember it! We lived in Southern CA season pass holders and I still remember at 40. I was debating trying to push our August date back to Thanksgiving or Christmas LOL

Last edited:

Oh wanted to ask when you do 5 days do you still do the park hoppers and genie+? I was planning to do it but wondered if I really need it but have heard DCA has more food options etc.

Oh wanted to ask when you do 5 days do you still do the park hoppers and genie+? I was planning to do it but wondered if I really need it but have heard DCA has more food options etc.
I would always splurge for Park hoppers and genie plus especially for Disneyland over staying on site. I love Disneyland hotel but it’s a decent walk. If you’re not staying at the grand Californian, it’s worth looking at offsite.

If you want to cut costs and make it work better for your schedule you could drop it down to 4 days and still feel relaxed. It is plenty of time to do what you want and incorporate breaks.
That's an excellent idea, and might also make Ds82 feel better about the cost of the Disneyland Hotel.

Ds82, your friend has, IMO, a very narrow idea of how to make a Disney vacation fun.

For one thing, all of the deluxe resorts at WDW are wonderful. Yeah, the Grand Floridian is the ne plus ultra, but not everyone (1) wants to pay that much even if they can, and/or (2) prefers that style of architecture. I, for instance, find Animal Kingdom Lodge the best WDW hotel for me, because I love the architecture and the animals. So take your friend's recommendations about a Disney vacation as merely reflective of what she prefers.

Second, has she even been to Disneyland? One cannot plan a DLR visit the same way you would a WDW visit. So you are very wise to be asking opinions of experienced Disneyland fans here.

With five days you certainly could build in side trips, but please do consider doing four days just at DLR, at your own pace and enjoying the atmosphere of the DLH as well as the parks. That will give you time for your smart midday breaks without rushing through the rides and whatever else you want to do. Have a great time!

I would always splurge for Park hoppers and genie plus especially for Disneyland over staying on site. I love Disneyland hotel but it’s a decent walk. If you’re not staying at the grand Californian, it’s worth looking at offsite.
I love everything I have seen and heard about the DLH & was super excited to get a 1 bd family suite.... BUT that is what has been hanging over my head is the walk etc. I just cant justify the 1 bedroom suite at the GCH for 5 days. If we were doing 2-3 I could but I am pretty set on 4-5 days... if anything because I am want to do Fireworks/Parade/Fantasmic(that changed!) on different days & a pool day. Well that and I wanted rest days and being 2nd week of August with the heat will not be an option. I have played around almost daily with the idea of getting a just suite or even adjoining rooms at one of the off site hotels.

That's an excellent idea, and might also make Ds82 feel better about the cost of the Disneyland Hotel.

Ds82, your friend has, IMO, a very narrow idea of how to make a Disney vacation fun.

For one thing, all of the deluxe resorts at WDW are wonderful. Yeah, the Grand Floridian is the ne plus ultra, but not everyone (1) wants to pay that much even if they can, and/or (2) prefers that style of architecture. I, for instance, find Animal Kingdom Lodge the best WDW hotel for me, because I love the architecture and the animals. So take your friend's recommendations about a Disney vacation as merely reflective of what she prefers.

Second, has she even been to Disneyland? One cannot plan a DLR visit the same way you would a WDW visit. So you are very wise to be asking opinions of experienced Disneyland fans here.

With five days you certainly could build in side trips, but please do consider doing four days just at DLR, at your own pace and enjoying the atmosphere of the DLH as well as the parks. That will give you time for your smart midday breaks without rushing through the rides and whatever else you want to do. Have a great time!

That is the funny thing she has never been to DL and I am pretty sure only 'likes' WDW because she thinks it is superior to DL. Awhile back she mentioned Walt made WDW because he felt like DL was a failure... pretty sure she was trying to get into silly debate. I pretty much rolled my eyes and a mutual friend(NOT a Disney fan really at all but knows a far amount the history) schooled her pretty quickly and she changed the subject. I have never been to WDW but I have heard amazing things about Animal Kingdom by lots of people & actually have never heard anyone not rave about it. Im a DL girl but if I ever make my way to WDW it will be were I will be staying!

The biggest thing I probably excited about for this trip is the relaxing factor or it. We were going to try to sneak a beach day in before or after and even a day in LA -- mainly because I wanted to go to Tam O'Shanter & sit at Walt's table LOL & hit up the observatory. My husband mentioned the other day maybe we should just 100% focus on DL and just stay in Anaheim -- fly in and out of SNA & just skip LA/LAX all together.

I love everything I have seen and heard about the DLH & was super excited to get a 1 bd family suite.... BUT that is what has been hanging over my head is the walk etc. I just cant justify the 1 bedroom suite at the GCH for 5 days. If we were doing 2-3 I could but I am pretty set on 4-5 days... if anything because I am want to do Fireworks/Parade/Fantasmic(that changed!) on different days & a pool day. Well that and I wanted rest days and being 2nd week of August with the heat will not be an option. I have played around almost daily with the idea of getting a just suite or even adjoining rooms at one of the off site hotels.
Can I ask how big your party is?

The Disneyland hotel is lovely and if you stay there, I’m sure you’ll have a great time but I would prioritize park hoppers and Genie plus over the Disneyland Hotel. A lot of the lines are not indoors and in the August heat you will want to utilize Genie plus as much as possible. Park hopping is super easy and a wonderful way to maximize genie plus in the two parks.

Can I ask how big your party is?

The Disneyland hotel is lovely and if you stay there, I’m sure you’ll have a great time but I would prioritize park hoppers and Genie plus over the Disneyland Hotel. A lot of the lines are not indoors and in the August heat you will want to utilize Genie plus as much as possible. Park hopping is super easy and a wonderful way to maximize genie plus in the two parks.
Absolutely!! It is 2 adults(husband and I) 14 yr old & 5 yr old -- this is both their 1st trips to DL! This was supposed to be an actual surprise b-day trip for our daughter's 5th birthday. We would of been only able to go for 2 days & wanted to do for longer than that. Its going to be 100% surprise for her where we are going. This is going to be her actual 1st time on a plane also. Its funny because she has been begging to go to DL and I have told her we have to get on a plane -- so she really thinks when you get on a plane you are going to DL LOL We are telling her we are going on vacation but are her we are going to the beach. I am 100% probably mostly looking forward to when she realizes she is at DL

I was planning on doing the park hoopers & genie+ for the pics etc and also I dont want to have to worry about which places are in what park and also we are planning on getting on magicband+

The difference in price for a Disney adult (10+ years old) to get a 4 day PH versus a 5 day PH is $20!!! Now if you also get G+ each day, you have to also add that for the extra day. BUT, for me, $20 is an easy option to have a more relaxed, 5 day option rather than a 4 day option. I agree with you 100% that my favorite type of DLR vacation is the one where we fly into SNA, go straight to our resort (for us these days, it‘s GCH, but we have older teens so we can now all go to sleep at the same time, so we no longer need a suite), do our Disney days, and then go back to SNA and fly home. A very encapsulated vacation. We come and do separate beach vacations or see LA. I think the focused DLR vacation can be much more relaxed and enjoyable, especially for your younger child.

As for the hotel, the PARKS are really what is going to WOW your younger child. The parks and everything there will overwhelm her in a great way. The hotel will honestly be a place that she collapses into bed. So for me, if I wanted to save some money somewhere, I would do that at the hotel, and I would spend on the park days, G+ to relieve us of waiting in terrible lines, and the special things like character dining, etc.

As for your question about the VIP tour, as another poster said, sharing a VIP devalues it significantly to me. We have done many VIP tours, but we will only do it when we can afford it for just our family. The benefit of a VIP is doing whatever you want (if your kid wants to ride Dumbo x 10, go for it!). If you are sharing the tour, you are spending an awful lot of money to make compromises (unless the other family and you are very, very aligned in your priorities). I would absolutely do the 5 days, at a relaxed pace. When/if you can afford your own VIP in the future, it is absolutely wonderful, but I would wait until your younger child is older and can get the most out of that type of very high paced day.

The difference in price for a Disney adult (10+ years old) to get a 4 day PH versus a 5 day PH is $20!!! Now if you also get G+ each day, you have to also add that for the extra day. BUT, for me, $20 is an easy option to have a more relaxed, 5 day option rather than a 4 day option.
Except these folks are coming from out of town, so the extra cost of adding a day to their park tickets isn't the big issue, but rather an extra day in a suite at the DLH costing $1,000-$1,200.

Ds82, are you coming a long distance? If not, you could get in some good time in the parks on your arrival day, and also maybe on your departure day. That could cut down the number of nights you have to pay for a hotel to get the number of park days you want. As nice as many of the hotels surrounding DLR are, I think staying at the DLH will be the perfect cherry on the top of the surprise Disneyland trip for your daughter's fifth birthday.

Absolutely!! It is 2 adults(husband and I) 14 yr old & 5 yr old -- this is both their 1st trips to DL! This was supposed to be an actual surprise b-day trip for our daughter's 5th birthday. We would of been only able to go for 2 days & wanted to do for longer than that. Its going to be 100% surprise for her where we are going. This is going to be her actual 1st time on a plane also. Its funny because she has been begging to go to DL and I have told her we have to get on a plane -- so she really thinks when you get on a plane you are going to DL LOL We are telling her we are going on vacation but are her we are going to the beach. I am 100% probably mostly looking forward to when she realizes she is at DL

I was planning on doing the park hoopers & genie+ for the pics etc and also I dont want to have to worry about which places are in what park and also we are planning on getting on magicband+
I’m going to suggest if you’re really have your heart set on staying at the Disneyland hotel, that you really think about booking just a standard room and requesting two queen beds and a daybed for your daughter. The daybed is likely to be more comfortable than the pull out sofa in the one bedroom suite.

If you have a dream agent book you they could also put in the request for you.

It would save you quite a bit while keeping you onsite. You could also potentially look at the grand Californian but rooms that sleep five are much harder to come by there.

The difference in price for a Disney adult (10+ years old) to get a 4 day PH versus a 5 day PH is $20!!! Now if you also get G+ each day, you have to also add that for the extra day. BUT, for me, $20 is an easy option to have a more relaxed, 5 day option rather than a 4 day option. I agree with you 100% that my favorite type of DLR vacation is the one where we fly into SNA, go straight to our resort (for us these days, it‘s GCH, but we have older teens so we can now all go to sleep at the same time, so we no longer need a suite), do our Disney days, and then go back to SNA and fly home. A very encapsulated vacation. We come and do separate beach vacations or see LA. I think the focused DLR vacation can be much more relaxed and enjoyable, especially for your younger child.

As for the hotel, the PARKS are really what is going to WOW your younger child. The parks and everything there will overwhelm her in a great way. The hotel will honestly be a place that she collapses into bed. So for me, if I wanted to save some money somewhere, I would do that at the hotel, and I would spend on the park days, G+ to relieve us of waiting in terrible lines, and the special things like character dining, etc.

As for your question about the VIP tour, as another poster said, sharing a VIP devalues it significantly to me. We have done many VIP tours, but we will only do it when we can afford it for just our family. The benefit of a VIP is doing whatever you want (if your kid wants to ride Dumbo x 10, go for it!). If you are sharing the tour, you are spending an awful lot of money to make compromises (unless the other family and you are very, very aligned in your priorities). I would absolutely do the 5 days, at a relaxed pace. When/if you can afford yourI am own VIP in the future, it is absolutely wonderful, but I would wait until your younger child is older and can get the most out of that type of very high paced day.
I am really leaning towards the total encapsulation! I am a planner by nature.... its what I do for fun which I know most people dont get lol The only thing that is actually stressing me out (I am ashamed to say how much) is the side trips to LA or the beach etc.

I think I agree with you about doing a VIP tour till our 5 yr old is older. I am thinking She needs to be a few yrs older to hit that soft spot. She is very tall for her age and at 47 inch BUT you never know if they get on one and hate it. Then the VIP tour would be wasted per say.

Except these folks are coming from out of town, so the extra cost of adding a day to their park tickets isn't the big issue, but rather an extra day in a suite at the DLH costing $1,000-$1,200.

Ds82, are you coming a long distance? If not, you could get in some good time in the parks on your arrival day, and also maybe on your departure day. That could cut down the number of nights you have to pay for a hotel to get the number of park days you want. As nice as many of the hotels surrounding DLR are, I think staying at the DLH will be the perfect cherry on the top of the surprise Disneyland trip for your daughter's fifth birthday.
We are coming from Denver CO :) I have found flights at both SNA & LAX getting in at either 730AM & 930AM and planning to take advantage of one of them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter