HydroGuy's World of Color Review

On a lighter note, DS17 and DS15 had bought some mini-remote controlled helicopters earlier in our trip - light weight little plastic things. On check out morning they went without my knowledge to the fourth floor overlooking the GCH lobby and flew them out into the lobby area 50 feet up. They said they only lost control a couple times and the helicopters dropped all the way to the floor without damaging the helicopters or any guest hairdos. :laughing:

Boys will be boys!!!! :lmao:

So glad to hear your guys are having such a great time.
Thanks for the pics & the reports, they are always most useful. :worship:

Wow! :eek: That is a very cool view from your room! Still not liking the heavy price tag that goes along with it though...:rolleyes:

The GCH is obviously a very nice place. All of the CMs there were great.

We used the hotel location to our advantage and were in and out of the DCA entrance constantly.

Normally in the summer because of the heat we are overheated by afternoon and take a swim every day. However, we never felt really hot all week - I think the peak temperature was 79 and one day only got up to 73. So I never personally used the pool. My kids who love to use pools only did once. We normally take long afternoon breaks but after the cooler temperatures and a long lunch we just did not. One day we took off for 4-5 hours but most days were shorter.

We had a great view of DCA and I sat on the balcony a few times while posting to this forum but I wish I had more time to sit there and take in the view.

DW took one afternoon to get a massage and facial treatment at the spa and was excited about that.

DW loved the beds and sheets and said she rarely has slept so well. I had heard the rooms were small and based on that expectation was surprised at the size - not that small at all.

We were not bothered by any noise from the parks but one afternoon while trying to take a nap there was lots of noise from guests in the hallways - which is to be expected I guess. I finally was forced to get up and find some ear plugs.

We ate at Storytellers twice. Once we thought about going to WWS and took a quick look and everyone voted to go back to Storytellers for the second time. Had a res for the Napa Rose one night but we were not that hungry that day and no one was in a mood to put on nice clothes so we cancelled and went later in the evening to Tortilla Joe's at DS14's request.

On a lighter note, DS17 and DS15 had bought some mini-remote controlled helicopters earlier in our trip - light weight little plastic things. On check out morning they went without my knowledge to the fourth floor overlooking the GCH lobby and flew them out into the lobby area 50 feet up. They said they only lost control a couple times and the helicopters dropped all the way to the floor without damaging the helicopters or any guest hairdos. :laughing:

View of DCA from Room 5438 of the GCH

100_1123.jpg

I guess my question would be, would you stay there again based on this years experience?

Jack

I guess my question would be, would you stay there again based on this years experience?

Jack
I think we may be hooked Jack. As long as money is not too tight my guess is we will back to GCH. I am thinking next time about renting points for a villa that sleeps 8. I got the GCH room back in March when the good summer rates came out and thought I would be there with only four people. Then DW decided to come with us and we bumped to five. Then DS18 and GF decided to come and I had to get a second room for 3 nights after they showed up on our Day 3 - which was nice because having five in one room was crowded on the first two nights. So two rooms at a good summer rate - both were theme park view rates - was pricey. A villa for 8 might have been cheaper - especially if the good summer deals go away.

From your picture it looks like you were quite a ways down the endless hallway! Did you use the shortcut/fire escape that let's you out by labrea bakery when going to disneyland?

I think we may be hooked Jack. As long as money is not too tight my guess is we will back to GCH. I am thinking next time about renting points for a villa that sleeps 8. I got the GCH room back in March when the good summer rates came out and thought I would be there with only four people. Then DW decided to come with us and we bumped to five. Then DS18 and GF decided to come and I had to get a second room for 3 nights after they showed up on our Day 3 - which was nice because having five in one room was crowded on the first two nights. So two rooms at a good summer rate - both were theme park view rates - was pricey. A villa for 8 might have been cheaper - especially if the good summer deals go away.

We are in the same boat, we have moved from off site to on site and then GCH and now the Villas in a couple of weeks. Wife is getting more and more spoiled along with the two youngest. GCH makes life so much easier at the parks and I plan on some patio time.

Have a great Sunday,

Jack

Our family is definately hooked on the Villas at GC! We had stayed at the Grand before as well as the other two on site hotesl at DLR. However nothing could compare to the villas! Everything was first class all the way from the room, the view, the CM's and of course location. :thumbsup2 It was perfect and definately spoiled us.

Thanks for the review Hydroguy! I may have missed it somewhere in your post so forgive me if you did already mention the answer to my question. We are planning to do one of the WOC dining packages on our next trip. Where is the preferred viewing area line located?

I knew we'd make a DLR 'onsite' convert out of you yet!:rotfl2: But yikes:scared1: about the price for two GCH rooms at summer rates!:scared1:

Just imagine how lovely the GCH is during the holiday season, as guests are curled up on the sofas, on the carpet and in the comfy chairs in the enormous lobby/Hall area, with beverages in hand, as the guitarist strums by the fire and the pianist plays Christmas favorites, the strolling carolers take requests by the giant tree and Santa poses with happy families for PhotoPass pictures! It's a great atmosphere!!

I see Storytellers was a big hit with your family. I really like Storytellers too (not the Critter breakfast so much, but just the regular lunch and dinner). Awesome spaghetti with fresh herbs and garlic bread with chunks of garlic! Yum!!

Thanks for the review Hydroguy! I may have missed it somewhere in your post so forgive me if you did already mention the answer to my question. We are planning to do one of the WOC dining packages on our next trip. Where is the preferred viewing area line located?
When we were there the preferred dining spot was near the red tower at the entrance to the bridge to Ariel's Grotto.

See http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/101293-2/ParadisePark_By_Daniel_K_Lew.jpg and look at the red tower towards the right.

I took the photo shown below. The structure in the center with the spire is Ariel's Grotto and the red tower is on the left of my photo looking back towards Ariel's and California Screamin.

The preferred viewing area on the night we were there started at the far right of my photo next to the palm tree and the pretty woman sitting down at the far right of my photo is my wife. That is where the line started when we were there. The few people standing to the left of her was where the line built. The tall guy standing up in the maroon sweater with the white stripe down his arm was behind us in line and he and his family ended up standing directly next to us at the railing on our left.

At this time the line was short with only a few people. I took the photo at 7:07PM. It built up over the next 15 minutes until they took us down to the viewing area. HTH :)
100_1071.jpg

Maybe I missed it - what time would you arrive if you are doing the Dining at Ariel's grotto (1st and second show - not sure which one we'll do). And where is the lobster you mentioned in your OP? I want some of that!!!

Maybe I missed it - what time would you arrive if you are doing the Dining at Ariel's grotto (1st and second show - not sure which one we'll do). And where is the lobster you mentioned in your OP? I want some of that!!!

I'm not sure about the lobster. It may of been Sebastion in the preshow, which currently is not playing, and it's not known if it will return.

As far as arrival time. It doesn't matter if you have a FP for any color or the Preffered Dining section. It will have return times on it, About 15 minutes before the start of the return window is the earliest people have been let into the viewing area.

I'm not sure about the lobster. It may of been Sebastion in the preshow, which currently is not playing, and it's not known if it will return.
Actually it was the lobster served at Ariel's Grotto. I sure I hope that was not Sebastian! :sad1:

For the first show make the dining res 3+ hours before the show is scheduled to start. That leaves 90 minutes for dinner and 90 minutes to wait for WOC. Second show is not as much. Maybe 2.5 hours.

Actually it was the lobster served at Ariel's Grotto. I sure I hope that was not Sebastian! :sad1:

I looked on the Ariel WOC menu on allears and didn't see lobster - I hope it is there - that would be yummy!

So you would get to the viewing area 90 mins before showtime, did I read that correctly? Thanks!

I looked on the Ariel WOC menu on allears and didn't see lobster - I hope it is there - that would be yummy!

So you would get to the viewing area 90 mins before showtime, did I read that correctly? Thanks!
They had lobster last July for AG WOC dinner. Maybe they changed? I have not checked.

As for how early to arrive for WOC, the answer depends a lot on your priorities.

IMO if you wait until 60 minutes before the show starts to get in line (which is when the FP says to come) you are risking not getting the best WOC spot. Some people are OK with that. Might 60 minutes work out OK? Yes, it might. If you arrive 90 minutes early you may be a little too early but that is much better than being a little too late. So I recommend showing up 90 minutes before the show. Then if you leave 90 minutes for a relaxing dinner (which itself may only take 60-75 minutes - depends on how fast they seat you , how big your group is, etc.) then you will be good. And your dinner res should be 3 hours before the show starts.

My personal WOC experience is now about 7 months old. Last I was there was September. I think it is still up-to-date from what I read, so others may contribute a different opinion. I plan to see WOC again in June and August. I usually do not make two trips to SoCal/DLR in a summer but this summer is unusual because my high school class is having a 30-year reunion. But please don't tell anybody I am that old! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter