HydroGuy's World of Color Review

Hydroguy I have a question? What did you see going on with Alice's attraction?
There is activity on Alice. When we walked past yesterday morning there were several people standing on the leaves - some managers and some workers - talking, pointing and inspecting. Alice is all covered up. Last night you could see lights behind the covering and hear work going on.

Thanks for the info! I am curious if we don't get that front rail in preferred dining what would be the second best spot? I plan to go early but you just never know if that is filled up where to go. We have 5 kids all young and short in our group and we are all ladies also short. Any advice on that?
It is so hard to say because you are the mercy of the people in front of you. Will a tall person move in front of you or lift their kids up on to their shoulders at the last minute? We wanted the rail spot because it would remove all the uncertainty. I think the stairs on the preferred circle may be your next bet bet. There are also stairs at the back of the preferred circle too and that might be a good idea.

Awesome review and great family pic!! We went the 2nd week after it opened so we were doomed to not knowing what to expect but after seeing columbia's wonderful chart wouldn't you knew were were DEAD on where that B is in the dinning section LOL. That is right next to a little wall and although we were right up next to a railing we were a ways back because we had heard that you get "drenched" if you are up at the first rail and we didn't want to get soaked cuz at that point in june it was still a bit chilly. WELL I wish we had seen a chart like that or had known ANYTHING.

We couldn't see a thing between the people who were standing on the stairs just below us and the rude people that put their children on that wall and let them STAND. So at least now I know for the next time.

So glad you had a good time and I hope that the next time we attempt it that we have a better view and better time!!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!! And thanks for doing this!! :)

Great review HydroGuy! We concur and absolutely were shocked at how much we enjoyed it. I will definitely say see it again! The first time the pre-show light fixtures weren't turning colors of the characters they were celebrating and some other elements of the show (spoiler alert!!!!) the fountains hidden in the plants weren't going off at certain times of the show. These were nice touches and added to our excitement and if we hadn't seen it the second time we would have missed it. We saw both shows at 9pm the week we were there.

I will say though that Fantasmic! is still amazing. It is different like you mentioned comparing it to RDCT but Fantasmic! having the live characters adds a real aspect to the show. And that new dragon did give me goosebumps when the fire shot out of his mouth!

I am completely infatuated with that dragon...

Great pic Hydroguy (aka Trey) thanks for it. I think the girl's a keeper...(dsgf):thumbsup2

Thanks for the awesome report!! I am so excited now!!

If you get a chance to post your Friday experience before Sunday evening that would be awesome! :) I am likely getting a Blue FP in Sunday, and want to go for the spot close to the VIP- I think the one you are describing. Just wondering what time I need to show up...

Also then you can see if front view or back is better! :)

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip. Cute shirts by the way!;)

Kim
No promises but I will try! :goodvibes

. I think the stairs on the preferred circle may be your next bet bet. There are also stairs at the back of the preferred circle too and that might be a good idea.

We were on the top of the stairs in the preferred circle and had a good view. Not *entirely* unobstructed for the kids (5 & 6), but they saw most of the show.

The WOC FPs said 8-8:30.

So to be first for an 8:00 FP, you have to show up an hour early?

What happens if you show up at 8:30? (Or a few minutes before.) Will we be stuck with zero view? I am short (5'3") and we have two kiddos (4 and 6).

Thanks for all the great info! Hope you are having a great trip and the crowds stay low for you! :)

If you get a chance to post your Friday experience before Sunday evening that would be awesome! :) I am likely getting a Blue FP in Sunday, and want to go for the spot close to the VIP- I think the one you are describing. Just wondering what time I need to show up...

Also then you can see if front view or back is better! :)
Things did not work out to get the 9PM FPs for Friday (last night). We were at DL yesterday morning and I was not able to get to DCA to get the FPs.

What did happen is that we came at maybe 2:00PM to get GRR FPs and I grabbed a couple WOC FPs for the 11:15 show. I got yellow section. I did stand further back but not all the way in the back because there were too many people back there on the benches. So I went kind of in the middle of the yellow and as close to the black centerline as I could get. I definitely preferred our spot on Wednesday.

I am glad I saw WOC a second time - Yellow section FPs for 11:15 Friday night.

I can now understand better why some people are not so excited about WOC. Your viewing spot and the level obstruction and crowds you have to deal with really affects how you experience the show. My advice to anyone going for your first viewing is to do everything you can with preferred dining or FPs for the 9PM show coupled with early arrival in line - by 7PM hopefully - to get one of the good spots up close. It just makes a big difference in how you feel about WOC. I could tell last night from my spot in the yellow section that with the people all around me and greater obstruction (which was not bad at all for me - I am 6 feet) that the show seemed to go down a notch. Pay the price to get a good spot the first time you see it. If you are preferred dining the spot we got on the railing discussed in the OP was totally worth all the effort and standing.

So to be first for an 8:00 FP, you have to show up an hour early?

What happens if you show up at 8:30? (Or a few minutes before.) Will we be stuck with zero view? I am short (5'3") and we have two kiddos (4 and 6).

Thanks for all the great info! Hope you are having a great trip and the crowds stay low for you! :)
They said you cannot show up at 8:30. The CM told me they "locked down" at 8:25 because of the pre-show with characters that come thru the crowds starting at 8:30PM.

On our night if you wanted to be first in line for preferring viewing you needed to show up before we did at 6:55 as we were second. The line did build fairly slowly over the next 20 minutes - but understand that if you want a spot at the railing like we got there was only room for three or four families. And most everyone that night went straight for the front rail. So the first 3-4 families in line got the best spots. Everyone else had to hope their spot standing behind someone else did not result in them being stuck behind a taller person. Plus they could not see down to the water as well and the lower portion of the show. :)

Thank you! Have been looking forward to your reviews. The shirts are awesome. Beautiful family. Hope the rest of your trip was wonderful.

HG, thanks a ton for all the great info! Super helpful. Can't wait to see the full report on your return!

Thanks for the review and the tips..looking forwward to Sept 23 :) (nice family and very swell shirts :hippie:)

....DS18's GF18 had the idea last week to make tie-dye tee-shirts for our trip, and I suggested we wear them on our World of Color day....

Yeah....If my wife forced all of us to wear matching tie-dyed shirts, I'd probably blame it on my kid's girlfriend too. :lmao::rotfl:

I am glad I saw WOC a second time - Yellow section FPs for 11:15 Friday night.

I can now understand better why some people are not so excited about WOC. Your viewing spot and the level obstruction and crowds you have to deal with really affects how you experience the show. My advice to anyone going for your first viewing is to do everything you can with preferred dining or FPs for the 9PM show coupled with early arrival in line - by 7PM hopefully - to get one of the good spots up close. It just makes a big difference in how you feel about WOC. I could tell last night from my spot in the yellow section that with the people all around me and greater obstruction (which was not bad at all for me - I am 6 feet) that the show seemed to go down a notch. Pay the price to get a good spot the first time you see it. If you are preferred dining the spot we got on the railing discussed in the OP was totally worth all the effort and standing.

Only Hydroguy would be GLAD he spent a second night....burning another 2-3 hours in a WORSE location.....just so he could report back to all of us with the inside skinny. pirate:

Thanks for all the great info HG. :thumbsup2

Only Hydroguy would be GLAD he spent a second night....burning another 2-3 hours in a WORSE location.....just so he could report back to all of us with the inside skinny. pirate:
No, even HG was not willing to wait another 2-3 hours for WOC. I did a single rider on Soarin at 10PM and then got in line for WOC at 10:30 (the FP said to come back between 10:15 and 10:45). At 10:50 they took us sleepy yellow people to the viewing area. So I only waited a short time.

What was really cool is that when WOC finished at 11:41 I hoofed it back to the GCH and was in my room by 11:46. I think I was asleep by 11:47. :laughing:

Yeah....If my wife forced all of us to wear matching tie-dyed shirts, I'd probably blame it on my kid's girlfriend too. :lmao::rotfl:

Thanks for all the great info HG. :thumbsup2
:rotfl::rotfl:

No, even HG was not willing to wait another 2-3 hours for WOC. I did a single rider on Soarin at 10AM and then got in line for WOC at 10:30 (the FP said to come back between 10:15 and 10:45). At 10:50 they took us sleepy yellow people to the viewing area. So I only waited a short time.

What was really cool is that when WOC finished at 11:41 I hoofed it back to the GCH and was in my room by 11:46. I think I was asleep by 11:47. :laughing:

Ah, you're getting spoiled by GCH! ;) I don't think I would be able to see that 11:15 show without taking a really long afternoon nap! Otherwise...:faint:

Hey is this HydroGuy's first stay at the GCH? It looks like you discovered the best perk at staying there... How about a HydroGuy GCH review? :thumbsup2

Hey is this HydroGuy's first stay at the GCH? It looks like you discovered the best perk at staying there... How about a HydroGuy GCH review? :thumbsup2
The GCH is obviously a very nice place. All of the CMs there were great.

We used the hotel location to our advantage and were in and out of the DCA entrance constantly.

Normally in the summer because of the heat we are overheated by afternoon and take a swim every day. However, we never felt really hot all week - I think the peak temperature was 79 and one day only got up to 73. So I never personally used the pool. My kids who love to use pools only did once. We normally take long afternoon breaks but after the cooler temperatures and a long lunch we just did not. One day we took off for 4-5 hours but most days were shorter.

We had a great view of DCA and I sat on the balcony a few times while posting to this forum but I wish I had more time to sit there and take in the view.

DW took one afternoon to get a massage and facial treatment at the spa and was excited about that.

DW loved the beds and sheets and said she rarely has slept so well. I had heard the rooms were small and based on that expectation was surprised at the size - not that small at all.

We were not bothered by any noise from the parks but one afternoon while trying to take a nap there was lots of noise from guests in the hallways - which is to be expected I guess. I finally was forced to get up and find some ear plugs.

We ate at Storytellers twice. Once we thought about going to WWS and took a quick look and everyone voted to go back to Storytellers for the second time. Had a res for the Napa Rose one night but we were not that hungry that day and no one was in a mood to put on nice clothes so we cancelled and went later in the evening to Tortilla Joe's at DS14's request.

On a lighter note, DS17 and DS15 had bought some mini-remote controlled helicopters earlier in our trip - light weight little plastic things. On check out morning they went without my knowledge to the fourth floor overlooking the GCH lobby and flew them out into the lobby area 50 feet up. They said they only lost control a couple times and the helicopters dropped all the way to the floor without damaging the helicopters or any guest hairdos. :laughing:

View of DCA from Room 5438 of the GCH

100_1123.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter