Hyatt or a Disney value?

dskib

DIS Veteran
We definitely want to come down a night early, but I'm torn. I'd like to stay at the Hyatt because it just seems so easy, but it's triple the price of a Value resort. Is there a HUGE advantage to staying at the Hyatt? Is it really worth the extra$$ ?

Thanks!

We definitely want to come down a night early, but I'm torn. I'd like to stay at the Hyatt because it just seems so easy, but it's triple the price of a Value resort. Is there a HUGE advantage to staying at the Hyatt? Is it really worth the extra$$ ?

Thanks!

why not stay somewhere else in cocoa beach? why the hyatt ? or are you taking disney transfers

The Hyatt is very easy, but I can toss out another option. When we fly in the evening before and just need a clean safe place to sleep, we get a priceline room in the MCO area. At the 2.5* level, all rooms include a complimentary shuttle to/from the hotel and breakfast (quality varies). We've never gotten an unsatisfactory place, although some were much nicer than others.

The advantage of this is that if you want to return to MCO in the morning to take DCL transfers (and check in at the MCO welcome center), you can do this. Yes, you have to take your luggage over, but that's not a huge deal. If you tell the shuttle driver that you are going to the Disney desk, he'll get you as close as he is allowed. If you have opted for a different form of transportation to the port, you have left all options open. There are a lot of hotels within 5 minutes of the airport.

Yet another option is the Wyngate MCO which has a package that include round trip transfers to the cruise terminal, breakfast, and the hotel room. On our dates, for 2 it was $210--good, but not a huge value. However, for 5 it was only $270! That's less than DCL transfers alone.

Thanks!

As always, "worth it" is never going to have a consensus. Every person values things differently.

As a PP suggested, there are other options - there are TONS of hotels in the area that have free shuttles to and from the airport. You could fly in, collect your luggage and hop on one of their shuttles. Then reverse the process in the morning - take your luggage and shuttle bus back to the airport. Check in at the Disney desk, hand over your luggage (keep the day bag though!) and you're on your way!

But I will give you the rundown on the two choices you mentioned above. I've done both, so I can compare/contrast. "Worth it" is up to you.

Option #1 - stay at the Hyatt
PROS:
No travel time from the airport - off the plane, already at your accomodations
Good ambiance - you can people watch in the airport, and the pool deck is really neat, overlooking the runways.
Luggage pickup - you can leave your luggage in your room at the Hyatt (let them know you're cruising DCL when you check in and they'll set you up) and you won't have to deal with it until it magically shows up at your stateroom (don't forget to take your documents and day bag, though)
Easy checkin for your cruise - When you check out of the Hyatt, you can head down to the Disney desk and check in for your cruise. You'll do all your check-in stuff there rather than the port, and get your KTTW and boarding number. Since you are so close, you can hit the desk as soon as they open and get an early boarding number - ours was #2! :cool1: - and you'll be on the ship very soon after they start boarding!
CONS:
Cost - it IS rather expensive. I haven't heard of anyone who paid under about $150 (but if someone did, let me know!!!)
Luggage - You will have to collect your luggage yourself at baggage claim and take it to the Hyatt. Their bellhops will take it to the room for you, but if you have a large group or a lot of bags...it can be a bit of a hassle
Location - If you don't mind spending a lot of time in the airport, then this won't be a problem. There ARE a lot of food options and shops to peruse, but the prices are, as you'd expect in an airport, rather inflated.

Option #2 - stay at a Value Resort
PROS:
Ambiance - You get to have that magical "Disney" feeling for the whole vacation!
Transportation - You can take the FREE Magical Express to the resort from the airport. Then the DCL transfers from the resort to the port - although I'm not sure if they have pick up locations at all resorts now, you used to have to get to one of their designated resorts to catch the bus. But it's been a few years. Also, your luggage can be tagged with ME tags and you don't have to collect it yourself - it will follow you to the resort, and then you change the tags and it follows you to the ship!
Cost - a Value Resort is definitely cheaper than the Hyatt!
CONS:
Time - the ME bus might not leave the airport for a while, depending on how quickly it fills up. It also might make several stops before it arrives at your resort. If you just finished a long flight, or if you have cranky little ones, that may be a consideration.
Getting to the ship - The transfer bus from the resorts usually leaves around 12:30 or so - getting you to the port around 1:30. This can be a good thing, as boarding has already started and you can walk right onto the ship after checking in for the cruise. It can also be a bad thing, as there will already be a lot of people on the ship and the pools/food may have crowds already.

In the long run, there is no right or wrong decision. You just have to decide what works best for you! Have a great vacation, no matter what you choose!

Any chance you can add a #3 option for staying near the port and thoughts on all the logistics involved? Thanks again!

Any chance you can add a #3 option for staying near the port and thoughts on all the logistics involved? Thanks again!

I didn't go with this option but my brother did the last time he cruised. It was only him and his daughter (who was 14 at the time) so he didn't have to deal with little kids and all the extra baggage. The collected their bags and took the shuttle to their hotel. The next morning they took the shuttle back to the airport and took the DLC bus to the port.

Probably the biggest pro here is the room cost was a lot cheaper and a breakfast was included.

The biggest con is the baggage handling. If you don't have a lot of baggage and schlepping it about isn't an issue than you can save some money. I know that he was able to get to the port by 10:45 AM (when the doors were opening by like 10:30) and able to meet up with my sisters (who actually stayed near the port) before boarding began.

Cost - it IS rather expensive. I haven't heard of anyone who paid under about $150 (but if someone did, let me know!!!)

$105 total with taxes (government employee rate)

On both of our cruises, we opted to stay a night at WDW and then take DCL transfers to the port. We ended up having dinner at Downtown Disney and enjoying the pool the morning of our cruise. It was a very relaxing way to start our vacation.

Magical Express handled our luggge for us and DCL picked it up the next morning to take to the ship.

I opted for the Hyatt MCO simply because our flight doesn't land until 10PM tomorrow. At that hour I'm not going to want to take a shuttle anywhere. I know I'll be tired and it will be a great thing to just go upstairs to the hotel.

I've never actually done it that way, although I know lots of people on the boards have and recommend it. Personally, for me, a major con of staying at a hotel near the port would be getting transportation there. And schlepping my luggage, lol. So I prefer to stay at the Hyatt the night before or just go to the World before I cruise.

$105 total with taxes (government employee rate)

Reeeeealllyyy...is that limited to only particular gov't? Federal, state, etc? Because I work for a municipality, although not in Florida...

staying off airport property near MCO
pro--cost. We can do this for under $50 including breakfast
keeps all transportation options open (any work with this)
can shuttle from hotel to MCO in morning and check in there if using DCL bus

con--hauling luggage from MCO to hotel and possibly back to MCO
courtesy shuttle available; may need to wait for it
varying quality of hotel on Priceline/Hotwire (if used)

Thanks for the thoughts! I guess I'll make the decision when I book our flights. If we fly in late, Hyatt might be the best alternative. If we're early though, it sure might be fun to go to Downtown Disney and stay on property!

On both of our cruises, we opted to stay a night at WDW and then take DCL transfers to the port. We ended up having dinner at Downtown Disney and enjoying the pool the morning of our cruise. It was a very relaxing way to start our vacation.

Magical Express handled our luggge for us and DCL picked it up the next morning to take to the ship.

We are staying at WDW the night before and was wondering how you sign up for the transportation to the port - through DCL or at the hotel?

I wanna add to PLEASE try groupon or livingsocial for their deals!!

I have stayed at some amazing WDW area hotels for HALF off some even included character breakfast!!

As always, "worth it" is never going to have a consensus. Every person values things differently.

As a PP suggested, there are other options - there are TONS of hotels in the area that have free shuttles to and from the airport. You could fly in, collect your luggage and hop on one of their shuttles. Then reverse the process in the morning - take your luggage and shuttle bus back to the airport. Check in at the Disney desk, hand over your luggage (keep the day bag though!) and you're on your way!

But I will give you the rundown on the two choices you mentioned above. I've done both, so I can compare/contrast. "Worth it" is up to you.

Option #1 - stay at the Hyatt
PROS:
No travel time from the airport - off the plane, already at your accomodations
Good ambiance - you can people watch in the airport, and the pool deck is really neat, overlooking the runways.
Luggage pickup - you can leave your luggage in your room at the Hyatt (let them know you're cruising DCL when you check in and they'll set you up) and you won't have to deal with it until it magically shows up at your stateroom (don't forget to take your documents and day bag, though)
Easy checkin for your cruise - When you check out of the Hyatt, you can head down to the Disney desk and check in for your cruise. You'll do all your check-in stuff there rather than the port, and get your KTTW and boarding number. Since you are so close, you can hit the desk as soon as they open and get an early boarding number - ours was #2! :cool1: - and you'll be on the ship very soon after they start boarding!
CONS:
Luggage - You will have to collect your luggage yourself at baggage claim and take it to the Hyatt.
Their bellhops will take it to the room for you, but if you have a large group or a lot of bags...it can be a bit of a hassle
Location - If you don't mind spending a lot of time in the airport, then this won't be a problem. There ARE a lot of food options and shops to peruse, but the prices are, as you'd expect in an airport, rather inflated.

In the long run, there is no right or wrong decision. You just have to decide what works best for you! Have a great vacation, no matter what you choose!

We have gotten the Hyatt on Hotwire many times for $55-75 + tax but lately it's hard to find. There's no way to "make it" show up. It's either there or it isn't. Another alternative, still cheaper than full price or even AAA rate, is getting a Stay Certificate directly from Hyatt.com. You can't use these for a regular reservation; it must be booked as using a stay cert as there is limited availability with these.
https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/Default.aspx
Look under "Certificates For Stays Of 1 To 5 Nights Or More"

Also you don't need to get your bags from MCO baggage claim when staying at the Hyatt. For $10 + tip (last I checked) they'll claim your bags and bring them to your room. I've never done this since honestly I don't feel that lazy until after our cruise. :lmao: It's offered through the concierge link on their confirmation email so it's all prearranged.

We like the Hyatt because we're usually flying in after school and arriving at 9 or 10 pm. We're happy to pay a little more to keep it simple. Extra nice if our flight is delayed. Also my parents often cruise with us and they have heart & lung issues so they appreciate the convenience too. They qualify for the senior rate of $129 + tax. Thanks Momma! :hug:
If it were just dh & me (and luggage for 2) we wouldn't mind venturing out further or when we stay 2 nts precruise, we head to WDW. Let's face it, hanging out all day in MCO is not much fun. :laughing:

Here's another thought on this subject...We decided to stay at the Hyatt since we were arriving late on the night before our cruise. We not only guaranteed our room with a credit card, but also checked in on-line in the am before we left. When we arrived they told us they were sold out and put us up at a Hampton Inn. We were very upset and exhausted. We were told by an employee from Hyatt that this happens very frequently. Good luck on your decision.

Here's another thought on this subject...We decided to stay at the Hyatt since we were arriving late on the night before our cruise. We not only guaranteed our room with a credit card, but also checked in on-line in the am before we left. When we arrived they told us they were sold out and put us up at a Hampton Inn. We were very upset and exhausted. We were told by an employee from Hyatt that this happens very frequently. Good luck on your decision.

Well I planned on staying here this time when I come down in September (since I don't have any plans to do WDW). I was on the fence as to whether I should take the non-stop flight at 7AM arriving around 9:15 or so or wait for the next non-stop which isn't available until about 4:30 arriving at 7. I think I'll come in on the early flight, request early check-in when I book the room and keep my fingers crossed that I don't have too long to wait. No big deal cause I've always wanted to check out the various shops and never had time to hit anything besides the regular stop at the Disney Store.

Reeeeealllyyy...is that limited to only particular gov't? Federal, state, etc? Because I work for a municipality, although not in Florida...

I'm federal so I didn't notice particularly with Hyatt, but most hotel chains do include state and municipal governments. Always check the rate rules, some of them require official government travel orders to prove you're staying on business, others it doesn't matter. Run it through Hyatt's website and see what the rate rules are.

Mine is also September which is a slow time, so a higher rate may come up in busier travel periods.

there is NOTHING like a stroll in downtown disney! dinner there? for sure!! when we go in april our return flight isn't until 7 in the evening. it was either a day room at the hyatt or a night at the pop century. guess which won?? :thumbsup2
yeah, the value room, imo, wins hands down!

Wow that's awful but I have to say in approx 5 or 6 visits, once even arriving at 2:30am due to flight delay, this has never happened to us. Sorry to hear that. I'd be flipping out for sure, not that it would fix anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter